Texas Hunting Forum

Ground Venison

Posted By: scott01

Ground Venison - 12/06/11 05:22 PM

For those of you that process your own game, do you add any beef fat to your ground venison, say 5%-10%? I know when I had deer processed at lockers they would always ask if I wanted 10% fat added and I usually did it just to add some fat to the pan when browning it up. I've know others who ground briskets and mixed it with their ground vension but I don't want that much additional beef, just enough fat to keep the ground venison from drying out while browning it in a pan. Thoughts? Did you just contact your local grocer buthcer shop and ask for the fat?

Posted By: booger

Re: Ground Venison - 12/06/11 05:44 PM

I use the fat that I get off of the head I beef I buy yearly. If thee is a little beef that is fine but I try to use just the fat to help with binding and to keep it from drying out to much. I see people talk about bacon and such but that is not what I want. It's your call on the % but I like max of 90-10.

Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Ground Venison - 12/06/11 07:20 PM

In ground venision that I plan on making burgers with, I mix about 20% beef fat.

If I'm grinding it to make sausage, I'll mix whatever percentage of beef fat or pork I feel is necessary for the recipe I'm making.

Posted By: scott01

Re: Ground Venison - 12/06/11 07:39 PM

I could see 20% beef fat for burgers and I have occasionally just added some regular ground beef to my patties for those. However, I'm just packaging this ground venison generically speaking since it could wind up in a pot of chili, enchiladas, spaghetti, tacos, etc, etc. We use ground venison in place of ground beef almost 100% of the time. The exception would be hamburgers, then we either do 100% beef or a combo of beef and venison. Thx. I'll stop by our butcher and place my order for some beef fat. Think I'll try to get the ratio 90% venison to 10% beef fat but error on the side of slightly less fat.

Posted By: booger

Re: Ground Venison - 12/06/11 08:25 PM

Thats how I roll and I eats good!!!

Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Ground Venison - 12/06/11 08:31 PM

I get beef trimmings from a local market that processes their own sides of beef (do the same thing for pork). Generally they just throw it away or pay a rendering plant to come pick it up. Most of the time I get it for free.
Then add 2.5# of the beef trimmings to 12.5# of ground venison to give me about a 17% mixture.

Posted By: Fyrfyter

Re: Ground Venison - 12/21/11 08:01 PM

I use pork fat from the butcher in my ground venison. I like the taste better. I mix about 75/25, and it always comes out real juicy in burgers and such.

Posted By: Tuoms

Re: Ground Venison - 01/09/12 04:03 PM

For burgers I do 20% fat. For Chili, hamburger helper, etc (Ground beef replacement) I use 100% venison.

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Ground Venison - 01/10/12 03:58 PM

I mixed 16% this year and I think it was a little too much. I think that I will go with 10% on the doe I am going to shoot this wknd and see how that turns out.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Ground Venison - 01/10/12 05:45 PM

This year i put 3 pounds of bacon into about 25 pounds of meat. That puts the mix at 10.7% bacon.

Posted By: km_stevens

Re: Ground Venison - 01/13/12 02:54 PM

I use straight pork fat. You can get it from HEB. Be careful as a little goes a long way.

Posted By: TxHunter18

Re: Ground Venison - 01/13/12 07:06 PM

none

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Ground Venison - 01/14/12 03:15 PM

Add 25% bacon. Make bacon burgers. Thank me later.

Posted By: BOONER

Re: Ground Venison - 01/15/12 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By: brew0216
none

x2. I use beef for my burgers and venison in everything else you mentioned. Dont need the fat in those dishes.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Ground Venison - 01/15/12 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Add 25% bacon. Make bacon burgers. Thank me later.

I did the 25% for a while have dropped it to 15% and like it better

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum