Texas Hunting Forum

Wood Fired Venison Tenderloins & a Big Buck Story

Posted By: CDN

Wood Fired Venison Tenderloins & a Big Buck Story - 11/13/11 04:40 PM

It has been a beautiful fall here in Georgia, the leaves have been amazingly vibrant and we have had some cold frosty mornings, mixed with a few warm days, and I have tried to take advantage of this wonderful time of the year to soak it all up. But something big has been missing this fall. For the first time since I was a young child, my family and I don't have a hunting lease. Family members passing on, financial strains and a number of other factors forced us to put it to the side this year. We are fortunate to have permission to hunt a small tract not far from home, but it's just not the same as going to "deer camp". But one thing I am blessed with, along with the greastest family in the world, is some very good friends that I value more than I could ever put into words. Two of my greatest friends invited me and my Dad to come hunt with them on their property, to share the season together, laugh, eat, solve world problems, and maybe even get a buck or too. After a little scouting, I chose a remote spot with great buck sign that had not been hunted in a while. The second morning in that stand, the buck in the above picture showed up! I have a feeling I won't be invited back! But to Walt, Joey and Mr. Leroy, if you are reading this, I am cooking up this Wood Fired Venison Tenderloin for you as we speak, I'm gonna serve it up with some eggs, hashbrowns and coffee, and I want to invite you to come enjoy this deer with me again as we did that magical day. Thank you again for your hospitality, but thank you most for our friendship.

What you'll need:

Venison tenderloin

Olive oil

Old WoodFire Grill KK's 10 BBQ Rub

Montreal steak seasoning

Oak, hickory, pecan or mesquite chunks

Start out by building a searing hot fire in your grill, around 500 degrees. I did this cook on the Weber Kettle and used the same fire building method as I do for steaks, as outlined here http://www.oldwoodfiregrill.com/?p=502. Take the tenderloins out of the fridge a couple of hours before you intend to cook them and season them lightly with Old WoodFire Grill KK's 10 BBQ Rub. Just before you are going to put them on the grill, brush them with olive oil and give them a light coat of Montreal steak seasoning. When the fire is searing hot, place the tenderloins on the grate directly over the coals at a 45 degree angle to the direction of the grates (to get the great looking grill marks!). Close the lid and let them cook for 1 minute, then turn them 90 degrees, without flipping them over, and let them go another minute. Next, flip them over and repeat the process. After the final flip, let them cook for about 2 to 3 additional minutes for a medium rare doneness. If you like them more done, let them go a little longer, perhaps lightly cutting into one to check the level of doneness to get it to your liking.

When they are ready, place them in a deep dish or tupperware type bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let them rest for about 10 minutes before serving, to allow the juices to redistribute. Serve them up in any number of ways: as a steak dinner with a baked potato (like this http://www.oldwoodfiregrill.com/?page_id=505), with country vegetables or one of my favorites, on a breakfast plate.

Posted By: rtp

Re: Wood Fired Venison Tenderloins & a Big Buck Story - 11/13/11 08:13 PM

Oh yeah, that looks delicious. I always hear them Georgia boys complaining about not have any big bucks. Looks like you disspelled that. Great buck, congrats and thank god for good friends.

Posted By: udamdan

Re: Wood Fired Venison Tenderloins & a Big Buck Story - 11/13/11 10:52 PM

Wow looks great WTG !!!

Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Wood Fired Venison Tenderloins & a Big Buck Story - 11/13/11 11:00 PM

that looks awesome

Posted By: bigjohn

Re: Wood Fired Venison Tenderloins & a Big Buck Story - 11/14/11 02:54 AM

I am hungry now dangit.

That looks fantastic.

Posted By: janie

Re: Wood Fired Venison Tenderloins & a Big Buck Story - 11/14/11 03:10 PM