Texas Hunting Forum

How long for campfire baked potatotes?

Posted By: JJH

How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/06/06 06:31 PM

Ok all you campfire cooks. When you wrap a potato in foil and put it in the coals, how long does it take to cook? thanks.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/06/06 08:25 PM

I dont know but I think putting directly in the coal is going to result in a burnt potato. I know you can cook onions like that, but you have to cut the first several layers off. For a big onion it takes about 10 to 15 minustes. Hope this helps.

matt

Posted By: Startfireman

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/06/06 09:42 PM

We double wrap ours and put them directly on smaller coals. By the time we season our steaks and cook them, they are done. Haven't had a problem yet.

Posted By: JJH

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/08/06 03:45 PM

thanks for the replies, guys!

Posted By: campcook

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/11/06 10:57 PM

Double-wrap them and place under 'cool' coals. No flame, and BEAT RANDALL OVER THE HEAD IF HE WANTS TO ADD WOOD! Depending on how big the potatoes are, 1/2 hour to an hour should be enough.

After 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, pull one out and test for done - if it is soft, it is done.

Use leftovers by cutting into fries or chunks, coating with seasoned flour, and deep-frying. When I cook these double-cooked taters, I run out pretty quick.

ENJOY

Posted By: SaginawHunter

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/12/06 12:11 AM

How long if I am supplying the taters????????????????

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/12/06 12:37 AM

2 days for them 3 pound footballs you bring!!!

Posted By: SaginawHunter

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/12/06 01:11 AM

ROTFLMSFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: snaken

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/28/06 12:37 PM

I like to wrap in a wet paper towel first. Double wrap in heavy duty foil, put directly in the coals. If the coals are died down enough for other cooking, should be ok. After 30 min or so, stab them with a knife. No resistance, they be done. If you did the onions, chopped in foil wrap as well, split the taters open and dump the onions on top with plenty of black pepper. ALWAYS do more than one per person.

Posted By: Grinder

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/29/06 08:25 PM

Wash em, put them on heavy foil, sprinkle with kosher salt. Wrap them up good. Now, what I've found works best is to take a broken cinder block and set it next to the fire making a "C" with the open part facing the coals. Put the potato in the "C" and turn it occasionally until it is soft to the squeeze. You won't get a burnt tater that way. I usually put the taters out while the fire is still burning and put the steaks on after spreading the coals. I'd say the taters take about 30 minutes depending on how big they are. A good cold barley pop helps to watch the fire coal out.

Posted By: snaken

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 12/30/06 04:53 PM

Grinder, it sounds like you got it down there. Have you ever had any luck with corn on the cob? I like to take potatoes because they are everybody's favorite, but sure would like to do corn without taking up space on the grill. Got any ideas?

Posted By: campcook

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 01/02/07 03:14 AM

You can do corn the same way, both on and off the cob. Butter and salt and garlic, wrap in foil, and place in coals. Just put them on 10 or 15 minutes, as they don't take long to cook.

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 01/02/07 03:02 PM

Yes, you can do corn the same way. The trick is to soak the fresh corn in the shuck in a pan of water. Turn it occasionally to make sure the entire shuck gets soaked. Then wrap it in the heavy foil and use the cinder block trick or I have a campfire grill that sits about 6" above the coals and leave the foil off. Campcook is right, the corn doesn't take as long and you'll need to turn it to keep it from carmelizing some of the kernels.

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 01/02/07 06:04 PM

Quote:

I have a campfire grill that sits about 6" above the coals and leave the foil off.

The grill I have is similar to this and has two levels with adjustable heighth. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...l&noImage=0 Too bad they don't sell one like mine anymore. It's 35"wide by 24" deep on the bottom level.

Posted By: cj7zrcool

Re: How long for campfire baked potatotes? - 01/04/07 04:38 PM

I usually tear off about 2' of tin foil and roll up each potato long ways, fold over the ends. put on top of small coals and close to the heat. Also, take a large onion, cut away the husk, fold about 2-1/2-3' of foil into a three layer square, place onion in the middle, fold up over the top, put in butter, garlic salt, black pepper. Continue pulling foil up over the top and press together to seal. Cook about 15-20 minutes like you would the potatoes. UmmmmmUmmmm good.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum