Texas Hunting Forum

Best food around Coleman TX?

Posted By: TXranch56

Best food around Coleman TX? - 05/02/23 05:28 AM

Hi all,

We are about to close on a ranch near Coleman and I wanted to see where you guys like to eat around there. We ate at the Cattle Drive downtown when viewing the property and it was very good. Any other suggestions or hole in the wall places around that are worth a try?

Thanks,

MC
Posted By: Old_Town

Re: Best food around Coleman TX? - 05/07/23 01:26 PM

The cattle drive restaurant downtown is really good The owl drug store is good for breakfast and lunch too if you want more expensive options rancho Pizza supposedly really good
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Best food around Coleman TX? - 05/07/23 05:27 PM

Hey MC! Welcome to Coleman County! Where are you buying? We're in the NW close to Silver Valley...

Check out Big O's in Valera. Hidalgo's in Coleman for Mexican. Rancho Pizzeria (for pizza obviously) and Black Cur for steak (both pricey but if you bought a ranch you can afford dinner!).

Up the road toward Abilene is the community of Buffalo Gap where you'll find Perini Ranch Steakhouse...awesome.

Holler if you have other questions. We bought here in 2007; moved here in '14.

Mark
Posted By: TXranch56

Re: Best food around Coleman TX? - 05/09/23 06:23 AM

Thanks to both of you for the info! We're very excited to be out in the area soon
Posted By: littlebass

Re: Best food around Coleman TX? - 06/28/23 07:01 PM

Lived in Coleman for the last 7 years. The food scene has changed a lot in that time. Stay away from Hidalgo's, aweful mexican food. (I can say that bc I married a mexican woman who can cook.) Best food in town is Rancho Pizzeria. Real brick oven pizza, amazing crust. They have Austin Amber Ale on tap which is hard to find. App's and deserts are delicious. Cattle Drive is way overpriced for the food they serve, bar area has nice atmosphere though. Black Cur is very pricey but good food. Scotty's Bistro is newest place in town, haven't tried it yet. For good food 45 mins away drive to Abilene and check out Taylor County Taphouse, top notch food and drinks, best shrimp and grits on earth.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Best food around Coleman TX? - 06/28/23 07:45 PM

We are just a bit east of the Coleman/Brown County line, so kind of hop back and forth. On Saturday nights Big O has ribeyes - the prices have gone up like a lot of stuff over the past few years, but it is one darn good steak. We make the 45-minute drive over to Valera once every couple of months for the steak, fries, and a slice of pie. Good stuff and Big O is a good character.

We like Cattle Drive as well. Good onion rings! Cold beer!

If you want something a bit upscale, but short drive. Lucille + Mabels in downtown Brownwood is good. Pricey, but a good date night locale. For pizza, again in Brownwood, try Pioneer Tap House. We like it!

Unfortunately, I just can't find what I consider good Mexican food close. We typically go down to Brady for Las Charros. Good margaritas, but a bit of a drive from Coleman County.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum