Texas Hunting Forum

The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery

Posted By: Guy

The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/14/23 08:44 PM

Anyone every ate there and tried to eat the 72oz steak? Just read this and thought it was funny, it never said if he finished it or not, I doubt it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...d888025cd54ec89b1ef8f416fc4138&ei=12
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/14/23 09:35 PM

Spent alot of time in Amarillo as a kid and went there several times. Now I only pass through. I would like to try it, but always have long [censored] rides right after either going to or from skiing. Not sure I want to be in the care with all that settling.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/14/23 11:49 PM

A woman ate three in 20 minutes.
Posted By: Frio Town

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/15/23 12:34 AM

Three in 20 minutes equates to 13.5 lbs. of meat. Must have been that gal from Georgia that ran for governor!!

Frio
Posted By: Stub

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/15/23 01:18 AM

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...7476/can-this-young-lady-eat#Post8817476
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/17/23 03:20 PM

I've spent some time in Amarillo, and eaten there before, but never taken the challenge. Doesn't seem like something my colon would appreciate nor the hotel the next day. I've seen people attempt it, looked daunting. Decent steak though, not the best or the worst.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/17/23 03:41 PM

We pass by it every time we drive up to Flag but haven’t stopped yet, it seems like it is jam packed every time we go passed it.

A buddy went there, got a normal sized steak, and watched the table next to him order one and split it among four people. He said the 72 ouncer looked like a pot roast lol.
Posted By: jimbob

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/31/23 01:40 AM

been by there 40+ times and never stopped. finally did last year on the way home from PD canyon. service was ok and forrd was ok. actually got the wrong order but work out ok. Saw a small asian guy sit at the table and he actually finished it.
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/31/23 06:03 PM

Actually, I sort of like the place but just get a regular steak. That 72 oz. deal, you have to sit up on a stage with everybody looking at you and it includes potatoes, snaps, etc.- more than just the meat. I like the girls with the cowboy suits. Sort of like the rangerettes on a low scale level. Years ago they the gave the girls kid's cap pistols to shoot off- added a lot. I guess those days are long gone.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/31/23 09:09 PM

I went to high school with the Lee brothers that own it. They've done well with a marketing gimmick their dad thought of 60 years ago. My brother sold them some rattle snakes eons ago. Not sure if snake is still on the menu as an appetizer? For the most part their regular steaks are just OK, and the 72 oz steak is just a nasty chuck roast. Never been tempted to try it. Chicken fry's probably the best item on the menu IMO. If your looking for a decent meal on I40 going through Amarillo I'd suggest Blue Sky. Good grub for the $$.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/31/23 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by dkershen
I went to high school with the Lee brothers that own it. They've done well with a marketing gimmick their dad thought of 60 years ago. My brother sold them some rattle snakes eons ago. Not sure if snake is still on the menu as an appetizer? For the most part their regular steaks are just OK, and the 72 oz steak is just a nasty chuck roast. Never been tempted to try it. Chicken fry's probably the best item on the menu IMO. If your looking for a decent meal on I40 going through Amarillo I'd suggest Blue Sky. Good grub for the $$.

Not that it matters, but the 72 oz steak is top sirloin, not chuck roast.

I also give a thumbs up to Blue Sky, as well as 575 Pizza, Yellow City Street Food, and Girasol Cafe.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 03/31/23 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
Originally Posted by dkershen

Not that it matters, but the 72 oz steak is top sirloin, not chuck roast.

I also give a thumbs up to Blue Sky, as well as 575 Pizza, Yellow City Street Food, and Girasol Cafe.

I’ve never eaten at Girasol but the others are great.

For the record there’s a 575 pizza in Little Elm now, although I haven’t been to that location.

Don’t forget about Coyote Bluff either!
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/01/23 03:25 PM

Yeah, but if you've never been there, got to go at least once for the experience.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/01/23 04:03 PM

Father Lee and sons started out in and old Amarillo Underwood BBQ place in the 60s. Then enlarged and built new steak house, He added on a motel and then an RV park along I40 with shuttle to BTSR. We stay in the motel when we went to drag races in Amarillo. They did a great business with all this. In the early 70s he also had a steak house in Lubbock at Monterey Shopping center in a closed Piggly Wiggly store. Inside was western theme with wagon, stage coach, tee pee, and a jail to eat in. Had a cowboy come around and sing and play trick for the kids. We ate in it several times and enjoyed it. Lasted about 2? years and closed due to low traffic at location because of new South Plains Mall on loop 289 & Slide. Monterey Shopping center went downhill with the dust after new SP Mall opened on loop 289 around 1970.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/16/23 01:45 PM

Lived in Amarillo for 3 years in my early 20s. Ate there a couple of times and was not overly impressed with the steaks. Never tried the challenge.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/17/23 10:08 PM

We ate there today. There was a small guy doing the 72 ounce challenge, and he had 23 minutes left. Our cute waitress said there was a 10% success rate. The wife had the 10oz Ribeye and failed to eat it all, and she said it had a lot of gristle. Her baked potato was very good she said. I had the 16 Oz strip steak, and it was pretty good, as were the mashed taters. All that was accompanied by a big Jalapeño, and I ate about half of it, all of the steak, and most of the taters. Glad we went there.

The trip is going good. We aren’t yelling at each other. Only issue of note is the wind, gusting to 40+ and pushing us around a bit. Windier tomorrow they say. Yuck.

Stayed at the Rocking A RV park in Vernon last night (ate at the Italian place, which was pretty good) and are at the Blazin Saddles RV park in Tucumcari for tonight.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/17/23 10:22 PM

One daughter fininshed her residency in Amarillo. We've eaten at the Big Texan a couple of times.

40mph is a light breeze up there. Have a great trip!
Posted By: Stub

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/19/23 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
We ate there today. There was a small guy doing the 72 ounce challenge, and he had 23 minutes left. Our cute waitress said there was a 10% success rate. The wife had the 10oz Ribeye and failed to eat it all, and she said it had a lot of gristle. Her baked potato was very good she said. I had the 16 Oz strip steak, and it was pretty good, as were the mashed taters. All that was accompanied by a big Jalapeño, and I ate about half of it, all of the steak, and most of the taters. Glad we went there.

The trip is going good. We aren’t yelling at each other. Only issue of note is the wind, gusting to 40+ and pushing us around a bit. Windier tomorrow they say. Yuck.

Stayed at the Rocking A RV park in Vernon last night (ate at the Italian place, which was pretty good) and are at the Blazin Saddles RV park in Tucumcari for tonight.

It sounds like a good tourist place to stop and hope someone is doing the challenge. Enjoy the rest of your trip up
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/29/23 01:57 PM

It is a tourist destination, steak is below average so I recommend CFS or something else. Fun stop but I would never try to eat 72 Oz of something I do not care for. Check out Cadillac ranch while you are in town. If you are heading to Albequerque stop at Russels truck stop just across the border as they have a nice diner and Car Museum. Dude has a Z06 supercharged that I love.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/29/23 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country

Sounds like a great start. Enjoy your trip, send interesting pics when you can.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 04/29/23 11:51 PM

Just got home from the 2800 mile drive. I thought you might like to know that we had steak at a few places during the trip. The wife and I agree that the steak in Mexican Hat, Utah, at The Swinging Steak was our favorite. The place is a bunch like an old Texas icehouse. An open eating area that is roofed. If you ever find yourself near there…
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Brewery - 05/01/23 04:03 AM

I was drawn to compete in the 72 oz steak eating contest at a hockey game many years ago. I finished it all in 51 minutes. There were 4 men and 1 woman. 2 of us finished and she beat us all at 19 minutes. However, there are better steaks in town.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum