Texas Hunting Forum

Mexican Food Report

Posted By: Stub

Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 02:08 PM

We did a take out from Manny's at Campbell & Coit last week, I had the Beef Enchilada plate and it was bad, I mean real bad. Unfortunate because it is so close to the house. No pic sorry

Monday I took a buddy out for breakfast (my turn) and found this kind of Hole in the wall place called Dona Maria off TI Blvd. and Floyd Cir, it was pretty good for $10.99 for the plate.

There were two fried tortilla's underneath with a sunnyside egg on top of each one, then the meat on top of that. I was supposed to get rice but they put potato's on instead?
I will go there again and try the Migas with Chorizo.

[Linked Image]

Last night the lovely wife and I went to Mattito's on Forest lane just west of Central exp. She had the Cheese Enchiladas plate and really liked it, but what does that White girl know about Mezican food laugh

I had the Paco plate that comes with two Enchiladas (I had beef) rice, beans and a taco. For $13.50 it was good but no wow factor. Need to find a really good place??

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 02:28 PM

That looks like a solid meal!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 02:49 PM

Stub, what's the secret to that relatively trim waistline of yours with all this food you are consuming. Some of your breakfasts look like breakfast, lunch and dinner to me. What's the secret??? Genes?
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 04:01 PM

Mia's on Lemmon has been my go-to in Dallas for 40+ years. Never has disappointed.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 04:04 PM

Anyone have intel on Angelina's in Lewisville off of Main St.? Been there a long time and most often slammed with customers.
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
Mia's on Lemmon has been my go-to in Dallas for 40+ years. Never has disappointed.

Only place my mother will go.....and at 88, she's been eating there like you for 40 years...so when she wants to go, I don't even ask where.....

That said, the new digs (the old BuzzBrews) are not what the old place was....food is still good, but the other building was just cool.

Oh, and the other night, my friend and I went to Marianos....hadn't been in years, she suggested it.....still pretty darn good! Spent a lot of time sucking down those frozen Margs back in the day at the original spot in Old Town.
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by rjf1911

Only place my mother will go.....and at 88, she's been eating there like you for 40 years...so when she wants to go, I don't even ask where.....

That said, the new digs (the old BuzzBrews) are not what the old place was....food is still good, but the other building was just cool.

The old building had character for sure, but it was literally falling apart. It's slated for demolition - was/is a COVID testing site, but has chain link fences all around it. So many spots like that along Lemmon are ripe for re-development.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 08:08 PM

Might be far for you to drive for just a Tex-Mex meal
but in McKinney our go to is Caesars on Eldorado.
Very good food and small bar. It’s close to us so that helps.

You may drive past a dozen decent places to get there but
then again you may love it like we do.

I’ll probably be ridiculed for this since it’s not a hole in the wall
or off the beaten path but I’ve always thought Abuelas was pretty good.
At least it can be found about anywhere and you know what you’ll get.
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Anyone have intel on Angelina's in Lewisville off of Main St.? Been there a long time and most often slammed with customers.

Don't go, it usually sucks. The service is normally decent except for one girl who would rather not be there. The same people own the one in Hickory Creek. They used to be near NCTC and the food and service were above average. The Lewisville location is less than a mile from my house and we would drive to Hickory Creek.
They built their own building on Turbeville Rd and the food and service both tanked. Apparently quite a few folks enjoy the rooftop bar.
Posted By: RevolverFan

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/21/22 11:16 PM

[Linked Image]
Check out a Chiloso if you are by one. Like an upscale chipotle but different world flavor wise. Has some real spice. I always get the pulled pork bowl and the salsas are big league
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 12:28 AM

I dig it

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 12:37 AM

Oh yeah, big fan of Chiloso!! food
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 03:06 AM

I need to find a new hole in the wall

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 11:56 AM

It has been awhile but I use to go to Elena's for breakfast and it was very good. It is on Valwood Pkwy in Farmers Branch.
The only reason I still do not go there is, it is further than I want to drive.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by RevolverFan
[Linked Image]
Check out a Chiloso if you are by one. Like an upscale chipotle but different world flavor wise. Has some real spice. I always get the pulled pork bowl and the salsas are big league

Last time I ate there barf for about two hours. Won’t touch it.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 01:21 PM

To bad 68A maybe a different location? I’ve had bad meals just about everywhere these days it’s a people issue. [Linked Image]
I forgot to add the barbacoa breakfast tacos are Very Tasty
Posted By: Gringo Bling

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 03:06 PM

To bad 68A maybe a different location? I’ve had bad meals just about everywhere these days it’s a people issue. [Linked Image]

Must taste better than it looks. Maybe it's just the presentation and the huge photo, but it doesn't look good.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 03:38 PM

I shoulda put some of the pico a bedazzled it but it’s very good stuff
Posted By: 68A

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/22/22 04:15 PM

I don’t blame the establishment as a whole, just the people working at that particular location. It’s not too far from the house and the only one I know of close. To be fair, I had eaten there several times before and never a bad experience prior to that. Don’t know what happened, someone didn’t cook something throughly (I think it was pork that particular time) or something was bad.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/24/22 02:16 AM

Hole in the wall.

I like el taquito on EastvGrand in Dallas
Tacos to go. El si Hay on Davis.
Upscale I go mi cocina. Tacos mi tierra. Spicy.
Mexican Seafood. La Calle doce. I prefer Skillman location.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/24/22 12:02 PM

Wife and I were driving drown Plano Rd & Buckingham Blvd. yesterday and past Frankie's Place, we ate there once and it was pretty good.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/24/22 09:47 PM

Casa Molina

woops, that's in Tucson, AZ

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/08/22 10:34 PM

Randomly stopped at a “Lupe Tortilla” this weekend in Irving. Really nice chips and salsa and gave some warm beans to. I Loved my plate. Wife didn’t like getting charred hot peppers instead of any bell peppers with her fajitas. Really big menu. Very nice inside. Will be back

[Linked Image]
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/18/22 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dink Dodger

Don't go, it usually sucks. The service is normally decent except for one girl who would rather not be there. The same people own the one in Hickory Creek. They used to be near NCTC and the food and service were above average. The Lewisville location is less than a mile from my house and we would drive to Hickory Creek.
They built their own building on Turbeville Rd and the food and service both tanked. Apparently quite a few folks enjoy the rooftop bar.

amazed that place is still open.....I gave it a second chance...never again.......

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/18/22 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by easton1025

amazed that place is still open.....I gave it a second chance...never again.......

Yep last time I ate there it sucked, another never again.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/18/22 02:34 PM

Randomly stopped at a “Lupe Tortilla” this weekend in Irving. Really nice chips and salsa and gave some warm beans to. I Loved my plate. Wife didn’t like getting charred hot peppers instead of any bell peppers with her fajitas. Really big menu. Very nice inside. Will be back

[Linked Image]

Lupe's is a pretty good place, though their tortillas are slightly obnoxious in size.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/23/22 01:58 PM

Our daughter and son in-law were in town and wanted to go to Torchy's Tacos which is one of their favorite places, the wife and I have never been so off we went.
It was good but just okay good.

I had a Baja Shrimp and the BrushFire (Jamaican Jerk Chicken), the Baja Shrimp was tasty but to much side stuff on it where you could not hardly taste any shrimp.
The BrushFire -Jamaican Jerk Chicken how it got the name BrushFire is beyond me for it was not spicy or hot by any means, it was just okay good.

When the kiddos come back in town and if they want to go there again I will, otherwise to me it is just okay and will only go there if that is where everyone else wants to.

[Linked Image]

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/23/22 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Our daughter and son in-law were in town and wanted to go to Torchy's Tacos which is one of their favorite places, the wife and I have never been so off we went.
It was good but just okay good.

I had a Baja Shrimp and the BrushFire (Jamaican Jerk Chicken), the Baja Shrimp was tasty but to much side stuff on it where you could not hardly taste any shrimp.
The BrushFire -Jamaican Jerk Chicken how it got the name BrushFire is beyond me for it was not spicy or hot by any means, it was just okay good.

When the kiddos come back in town and if they want to go there again I will, otherwise to me it is just okay and will only go there if that is where everyone else wants to.

[Linked Image]

Probably a small step up from Fuzzy's but that's about all...
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/23/22 06:16 PM

You need to get the "Trailer Park Trashy Style". Also, I hope you got the queso...I think their queso and chips rival anyone elses.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/23/22 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by goosebuster
You need to get the "Trailer Park Trashy Style". Also, I hope you got the queso...I think their queso and chips rival anyone elses.

We did get the Queso and chips and they were excellent!

If we end up there again I will try the Trailer Park Trashy Style and the Green Chile Pork which was what I was originally going to get instead of the BrushFire./Jamaican Jerk Chicken.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/23/22 07:00 PM

I had Torchy's a few times in Houston. To me they were just OK, and pricey. Lots of hole in the wall's and food trucks with better tacos.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/23/22 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
I had Torchy's a few times in Houston. To me they were just OK, and pricey. Lots of hole in the wall's and food trucks with better tacos.

Yep

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/23/22 07:12 PM

^^^^^^agree

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/23/22 08:51 PM

The trashy taco won’t make it any better the chips and queso was the only good thing there. Close 2nd to the pork burrito. they’ve loaded mine up a few times. Fuzzys has gone way down into the dumps but they can make a real good tempura fish taco.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 12:40 AM

I went to the Fuzzys in Stephenville a couple years ago. I wasn’t impressed.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 02:08 AM

There are too many excellent taquerias around to waste time at a chain.
Posted By: drag13honda

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

Bigbob, do you have a list for me to try on the fort worth, arlington, mansfield side of the metroplex (or really anything south or west of there)?

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by drag13honda

Bigbob, do you have a list for me to try on the fort worth, arlington, mansfield side of the metroplex (or really anything south or west of there)?

My favorite is Juanitos or Benitos on Hemphill, but there are several on the west side as well now. Taqueria Cuauhtemoc, taqueria Y caneceria Dos Mermanos. In arlington I like Taco's Moreno and taqueria Maria Bonita.

This pic is from Juanitos...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: drag13honda

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by drag13honda

My favorite is Juanitos or Benitos on Hemphill, but there are several on the west side as well now. Taqueria Cuauhtemoc, taqueria Y caneceria Dos Mermanos. In arlington I like Taco's Moreno and taqueria Maria Bonita.

[Linked Image]

Thank you sir, I will give them all a try.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 10:17 PM

The green chile chicken enchilada casserole plate at the Backdoor Cafe in Roosevelt was excellent today. 10 bucks and change, including a drink. bolt
Posted By: don k

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
The green chile chicken enchilada casserole plate at the Backdoor Cafe in Roosevelt was excellent today. 10 bucks and change, including a drink. bolt

I didn't know Roosevelt was big enough for a cafe.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

I didn't know Roosevelt was big enough for a cafe.

It's part of the feed store that Lyssy&Eckels bought.

I shudder to say it, but it's the next Luckenbach.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/24/22 11:46 PM

I tore up some more Mexican food today. Little trailer down the road here called Taquitos El Guerro, eat their food all the time. Their barbacoa and al pastor is damn good. Consistently excellent tacos, tortas, gorditas, sopes, and salsa. By far better than any chain I've ever been to. They're a little hard to communicate with, but that's how you know the food's gonna be good.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/28/22 01:25 PM

Went to Ole's in Coppell last night to celebrate my brothers birthday, we have been there a couple of times before and have always enjoyed it.
At the bar my future nephew and buddy gave me a stuffed Jalapeno, it was very good so I ordered it for my main meal, there were 5 of them.
Wife had cheese enchiladas and gave me a bite, I am not a big fan of cheese enchiladas but here were very good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The singer they had played all kinds of music from Johnny Cash, Stevie Ray to Creedence and was actually pretty darn good!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WLdjLOs-GPw[/video]
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/29/22 12:20 AM

[Linked Image]

Dang that looks good! food

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/29/22 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by oldoak2000
[Linked Image]

Dang that looks good! food

You ain't just whistlin' La Cucaracha!

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/31/22 11:15 PM

Looks great ole Stub…

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/19/22 05:06 PM

Wife was going to cook me breakfast tacos this morning, I forgot to pull the spicy sausage out of the freezer.

Went to plan B and found a good cheap Mexican restaurant on Spring Valley just west of Coit rd. Folks it was good!

Chorizo and scrambled eggs, the rice & beans were fantastic for only $7.99, the only thing I forgot to get was a Jalapeno hammer

https://www.lnptortillerias.com/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/26/22 10:20 PM

The wife and I and our neighbors went to Uncle Julio's off of Keller Springs & the N Dallas Toll road.

What was good was the Guacamole and their hot sauce, what was not good was the Beef Enchilada plate that I got.
Wife and neighbor did a 2 person Fajita combo, the wife said the Fajita's were just okay.

So thumbs down on Uncle Julio.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/26/22 10:58 PM

The wife and I and our neighbors went to Uncle Julio's off of Keller Springs & the N Dallas Toll road.

What was good was the Guacamole and their hot sauce, what was not good was the Beef Enchilada plate that I got.
Wife and neighbor did a 2 person Fajita combo, the wife said the Fajita's were just okay.

We go to Uncle Julio’s in Presidio about once a month, fajitas are good. I like the warm salsa.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/27/22 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit

We go to Uncle Julio’s in Presidio about once a month, fajitas are good. I like the warm salsa.

Some how I got a feeling that the people working down at the Presidio location are held to a higher standard and have a little more experience cooking good Mexican food than the ones in Dallas.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/27/22 10:41 AM

How do you mess up enchiladas?

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/27/22 12:26 PM

Bob they were just ground up hamburger meat & cheese with hardly any flavor!

I would have taken a picture but my wife would have gone Lorena Bobbitt on me since we were with the neighbors and their daughter.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/29/22 12:49 AM

You’re lucky your car didn’t get broken into. Unc Julio on tollway is hotspot for car breakins.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/29/22 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
You’re lucky your car didn’t get broken into. Unc Julio on tollway is hotspot for car breakins.

No Chit. wonder what makes that site so attractive for break ins?

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/29/22 07:52 PM

Man, how times have changed. Wife and I used to go to that location in late 90s and share a fajita Surf and Turf, lobster tail for $50 or so and it was really good. Never heard of any auto break ins then either.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/30/22 04:36 AM

Uncle Julios has really gone downhill past 2 years.. Expensive a F and smaller portions.. Quality of food as well...Im shocked they are still open..You use to have to wait to get in there now its like a ghost town..

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/30/22 11:51 AM

I avoid chain restaurants totally. the food usually sucks and there are so many options for mom and pops I see no need. Mexican food is a classic example. Take Paula's in Arlington. It's a hole in the wall that most people would cruise on by but has some of the best food around.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Mexican Food Report - 07/04/22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

[Linked Image]

Lupe's is a pretty good place, though their tortillas are slightly obnoxious in size.

The wife and I went yesterday. Food and service very good. Good margarita's too! Will be going back.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 09/18/22 03:45 PM

Was flip flopping between eating CFS & eggs at Starwood Cafe or having a Mexican breakfast?
Decided on Mexican, would have like to gone to the Mexican restaurant that is not to far from the house for they have good food at a very reasonable price but nobody speaks a lick of English and it is hit or miss if I get what I ordered, so I decided on Elena's off of Valwood Pkwy in Farmers Branch, I had eaten there a couple of times a long time ago and it was pretty good.

Not this time, I ordered my usual Migas with Chorizo added to it. Basically it was all chips and very little egg that was bland, the beans and potato's were meh also.

[Linked Image]

Re: Mexican Food Report - 09/18/22 04:45 PM

Stub, I'll have to put that one on the no go list. It doesn't look good at all.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Mexican Food Report - 09/18/22 04:50 PM

The green sauce looks good, that’s about it though. roflmao
We live and learn!
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Mexican Food Report - 09/21/22 07:30 PM

El Tropico in Natalia was a huge plus. Durn sure nothing fancy and yes, it is in Natalia. People from Devine probably afraid to go there. We told people at a funeral in Pearsall that we had stopped there and they thought we were wanting to add to the number being viewed.
Posted By: texaswader

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/03/22 11:20 PM

Miss that place. Best tacos in Rockport, hands down. Try a chorizo/potato!

I tore up some more Mexican food today. Little trailer down the road here called Taquitos El Guerro, eat their food all the time. Their barbacoa and al pastor is damn good. Consistently excellent tacos, tortas, gorditas, sopes, and salsa. By far better than any chain I've ever been to. They're a little hard to communicate with, but that's how you know the food's gonna be good.
Posted By: texaswader

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/03/22 11:23 PM

I drive by the Hickory Creek location, laugh at the crowd, and head to Ely's off of the service road for a wonderful meal. Usually the only person in the restaurant.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/04/22 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by texaswader
Miss that place. Best tacos in Rockport, hands down. Try a chorizo/potato!

I eat them regularly (papas con chorizo). up Their barbacoa is the best in town too. Today, it was carne asada. Love their red sauce.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/04/22 07:56 PM

I drive by the Hickory Creek location, laugh at the crowd, and head to Ely's off of the service road for a wonderful meal. Usually the only person in the restaurant.

Checked out Ely's online and definitely will try it up
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/19/22 03:43 AM

Herberts in San Marcos...... yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/19/22 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lotto
Herberts in San Marcos...... yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yep.
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/20/22 02:38 AM

For breakfast the chilaquilles at Los Cabos in Kingsville is pretty awesome if you're down that way
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/21/22 10:47 PM

[Linked Image]

The wife and I like it too! Good food and service.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/22/22 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by retfuz

[Linked Image]

The wife and I like it too! Good food and service.

Always wondered about them, how would you compare/contrast to Rosa's?

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/22/22 04:50 AM

I won’t argue that Rosas is very hard to beat on a Tuesday. But this place is on the higher end $ side of Mexican food and much more “home made” tasting than rosas. Almost apples to oranges.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/22/22 03:33 PM

I always get the puffy tacos at Lupe's. They put guac in the bottom of the taco, which is a tasty touch.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/22/22 04:54 PM

That taco shell sure looks good and a little different. I'll have to give Lupe's a try someday.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/22/22 05:50 PM

That taco shell sure looks good and a little different. I'll have to give Lupe's a try someday.

it started in San Antonio at Henry's puffy Tacos. they are delicious.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/22/22 09:52 PM

Bigbob do you remember Caro's? They had a location on Camp Bowie and on the Bluebonnet Circle. The one on the Circle was the original. They had puffy tostados and taco shells like that. It was around for long time and is now sadly gone.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/23/22 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bones72
For breakfast the chilaquilles at Los Cabos in Kingsville is pretty awesome if you're down that way

Location? I’ll be down that way next week.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/23/22 02:19 AM

Bigbob do you remember Caro's? They had a location on Camp Bowie and on the Bluebonnet Circle. The one on the Circle was the original. They had puffy tostados and taco shells like that. It was around for long time and is now sadly gone.

No sir. I would have tried it though.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 12/04/22 06:02 AM

Recently moved to Allen in N TX on N bound 75
between Bethany and McDermott.

Matts Rancho.
Formerly Matts Ranchero, have only been
once so far but will be back often. 10 of us
of various ages and we were all very happy
with both food and service.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Mexican Food Report - 12/04/22 12:43 PM

Taco Bell has the Enchirito back, I give it 10 out 10 for fast food.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Mexican Food Report - 12/06/22 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Taco Bell has the Enchirito back, I give it 10 out 10 for fast food.

i'll have to to try that.

As far as good Mescan food around Conroe... Rancho Grande on frazier street just north of the north loop and Los Pericos in Willis on 75, south side.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 01/01/23 08:48 PM

I ordered my self two cheese enchiladas with a fried egg on top with a puffy taco kicker.
[Linked Image]

Re: Mexican Food Report - 01/02/23 12:08 AM

That looks pretty good where at??

Re: Mexican Food Report - 01/02/23 12:39 AM

That looks pretty good where at??

Lupe Tortilla, custom order of course.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/16/23 07:56 PM

Based off "texaswader" recommendation hammer I took a friend of mine to Ely's today for his birthday, below is both of our take on the food

The hot sauce, chips and corn tortillas were very good, everything else was meh.
My buddy had Chicken Fajitas which he politely said were no bueno, I had the Tipico Deluxe two meat plate with Barbacoa and Chicharron, I have had better at a Taqueria for 1/2 the price.
The waitress who speaks poor English asked if we wanted Flour or Corn tortillas we both said Corn. Had no clue they were going to charge an extra $1.75 each for them.

We met at 11:30 and were the only customers in the restaurant, we left around 12:20 and were still the only ones in the restaurant, cannot imagine why nuts
My buddy got a brand new bad azz BMW so he let me take it for a spin on the fwy, sweet when we got back to Ely's still no customers there.

Moral of the story, don't waste your money at Ely's, I do not mind spending $$ on good food, after tip it was $52.00 for two with no appetizers.

While sitting in there we must have seen 200 -300 Cormorants/water turkeys flying over, there goes a lot of fish

[Linked Image]

My plate
[Linked Image]

My plate again plate just spun it around.
[Linked Image]

The crowd
[Linked Image]

$
[Linked Image]

Bastage birds

[Linked Image]
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/16/23 08:26 PM

If you ever get over to Wylie, try Mijas Taqueria. Could be the best Barbacoa that I've ever had. and it was the best grilled Jalapenos I've ever had. I'll try to remember to take a pic next time I'm in there.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/16/23 11:03 PM

JUst glad none of ya'll have found my "Hole in the Wall" Mexi joint.

It's crowded all the time.

Ice Cold Schooners of Modelo Negro
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/16/23 11:22 PM

Stub, what's the secret to that relatively trim waistline of yours with all this food you are consuming. Some of your breakfasts look like breakfast, lunch and dinner to me. What's the secret??? Genes?

rofl
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/17/23 02:16 AM

Paula's aka Estella's on Arkansas lane in Arlington Texas has the best hot sauce and Carne Guisada (sp) you will ever have in your life. Been eating here for over 20 years. Was Casa Ole prior at a different address in Arlington. Went to high school with owners daughter. Food is amazing! Service is hit and miss, but worth it.

[Linked Image]

Ate there last week.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/17/23 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty

rofl

What are you laughing about, you have no clue what my waistline looks like hammer although that emoji you posted might be appropriate grin

Paula's aka Estella's look's pretty good up

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/17/23 02:55 PM

Paula's aka Estella's on Arkansas lane in Arlington Texas has the best hot sauce and Carne Guisada (sp) you will ever have in your life. Been eating here for over 20 years. Was Casa Ole prior at a different address in Arlington. Went to high school with owners daughter. Food is amazing! Service is hit and miss, but worth it.

[Linked Image]

Ate there last week.

that's the only place I rave about the rice and beans. so good.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/17/23 07:17 PM

I like Tupinamba in Dallas. A family meber opened Tupy's in Frisco and it's the same good food. The Tupy Taco is really good.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/17/23 10:16 PM

[Linked Image]

Ate there last week.

that's the only place I rave about the rice and beans. so good.

Can't taste pics but if you are a Guisada guy, go to Esparanza's FTW on Park Place. Their Guisada is fantastic. Wife gets that, I get the Pork Shank. Both dishes are great.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/18/23 12:56 AM

Based off "texaswader" recommendation hammer I took a friend of mine to Ely's today for his birthday, below is both of our take on the food

The hot sauce, chips and corn tortillas were very good, everything else was meh.
My buddy had Chicken Fajitas which he politely said were no bueno, I had the Tipico Deluxe two meat plate with Barbacoa and Chicharron, I have had better at a Taqueria for 1/2 the price.
The waitress who speaks poor English asked if we wanted Flour or Corn tortillas we both said Corn. Had no clue they were going to charge an extra $1.75 each for them.

We met at 11:30 and were the only customers in the restaurant, we left around 12:20 and were still the only ones in the restaurant, cannot imagine why nuts
My buddy got a brand new bad azz BMW so he let me take it for a spin on the fwy, sweet when we got back to Ely's still no customers there.

For you car enthusiast, my friends new BMW is a M8 Competition and it was a blast to drive, I think that I had him scared for a moment while I was driving a little, okay pretty fast in it grin
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/18/23 11:43 AM

I think some of you mean salsa when you say hot sauce.

I knew the original owners of Angelina's on West Main in Lewisville when they opened it in the '90's (when I lived and worked in Lewisville). Two brothers started it. They were customers of ours. Doubt it's the same folks.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/19/23 12:26 AM

rofl

Not sure what size genes he wears lizard

Re: Mexican Food Report - 02/23/23 01:27 PM

Keep in mind that 98% of the time my breakfast Monday - Friday is Oatmeal, Cinnamon, Blueberries, 2% milk and OJ. On Saturday's for the most part it is a cheerios knockoff, with Blueberries, Cinnamon, 2% milk and OJ, lately it has been a bout 50/50 with a single Whataburger Sausage, Egg and cheese biscuit sandwich so Sunday is the only day I gorge like that for breakfast.

That is how I keep my svelte figure laugh
Posted By: Guy

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/09/23 12:51 AM

There is good and there is bad, Uncle Julios on the bad side.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/09/23 02:38 PM

Has anyone eaten at that Mexican place that has a small seating area outside that is on 380 just east of hwy 114/101 on the north side? I have stopped there twice and ended up leaving for it seemed to take a long time to get an order in with not a whole lot of people there.

Any suggestions for a good quick taco or burrito on 380 heading west from Decatur is Muy Apreciado!

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/09/23 03:22 PM

Has anyone eaten at that Mexican place that has a small seating area outside that is on 380 just east of hwy 114/101 on the north side? I have stopped there twice and ended up leaving for it seemed to take a long time to get an order in with not a whole lot of people there.

Any suggestions for a good quick taco or burrito on 380 heading west from Decatur is Muy Apreciado!

Dos Chiles in Bridgeport, TX. Dos Chiles is pretty good..

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/09/23 04:26 PM

Dos Chiles in Bridgeport, TX. Dos Chiles is pretty good..

Yes sir Dos Chiles is hood up Looking for a quick and easy taco type stand.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/10/23 11:46 PM

Has anyone eaten at Casa Torres in Decatur?
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/11/23 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by JimBridger
Has anyone eaten at Casa Torres in Decatur?

Yes and it's good.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/11/23 01:11 PM

If you are by an El Rancho grocery store, they do 1$ street tacos on tuesdays. I look forward to it every week since finding out [Linked Image]

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/11/23 04:14 PM

If you are by an El Rancho grocery store, they do 1$ street tacos on tuesdays. I look forward to it every week since finding out [Linked Image]

Those are legit!

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/11/23 09:10 PM

Those are legit!

Thanks for the heads up, we have one fairly close up

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/21/23 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by PKnTX
Recently moved to Allen in N TX on N bound 75
between Bethany and McDermott.

Matts Rancho.
Formerly Matts Ranchero, have only been
once so far but will be back often. 10 of us
of various ages and we were all very happy
with both food and service.

Unfortunately I am retracting this recommendation.
The new location in Allen while not terrible has turned out
to be nothing special. Don’t go out of your way.
Posted By: Hunter307

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/25/23 07:18 PM

Fajita house in Crowley was amazing when I was down for Christmas in December.
Posted By: Crawdad

Re: Mexican Food Report - 03/30/23 02:42 AM

Go to Mariachis is Greenville. The large Texas Margarita will have you walking out sideways.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/04/23 06:17 PM

I finally made it to the one nearest to my house, for $3.25 it is hard to beat. Got two Pork, one beef.
Challenge was everything is written in Spanish and no one speaks English.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/04/23 06:34 PM

Love it Stub I’m here as well. My buddy got the fajita meat today and they where outrageous. I got carnitas and barbacoa. Language is a barrier for me to but we make it happen. Only place I’ll be on a Tuesday now [Linked Image]
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/17/23 10:56 PM

It's too bad the Mexican places in the DFW aren't like they were in the late 90s when competition was fierce. It sure ain't like it used to be.

Dos Chiles in Bridgeport is tolerable, or at least it used to be. I haven't eaten there for four or five years. The one in Boyd is about the same---or was.

Casa Torres in Decatur is not bad at all, but again I haven't eaten there is three or four years (wife went keto, so Mexican just isn't on the schedule much anymore).

In the El Paso area, I can recommend Kiki's in northeast El Paso and La Posta in Old Mesilla (just outside Las Cruces). There are probably a dozen or more great restaurants in that area that I don't know about since I haven't lived there since about 1994. We had Leo's and they were great, and there was a Carmen's down in Ysleta that may have been the all-time greatest. It's been gone since the 80s. crying

Nothing I've ever found in DFW compares, but there have been a few hole-in-the-wall places that were pretty danged good.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/18/23 01:22 AM

El Paseo on 199 is my favorite.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/18/23 09:07 PM

I finally made it to the one nearest to my house, for $3.25 it is hard to beat. Got two Pork, one beef.
Challenge was everything is written in Spanish and no one speaks English.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I’ll have to check out one of the north Houston locations if I’m working near one on a Tuesday.
Don’t live in the barrio so I’m not always near one!
Posted By: batman

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/18/23 11:18 PM

X2
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/19/23 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by batman

X2

Tried it a couple of weeks ago...it was surprisingly good. I like Pappasito's better, but different price point, too.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/19/23 11:13 AM

Not just Mex food but other stuff.The Longhorn in Bowie for the buffet lunch. Cherry cobbler for desert.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/20/23 01:39 PM

Y’all are all missing the obvious. Alsup’s beef and bean burritos are the “bomb”
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/20/23 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by machinist
Y’all are all missing the obvious. Alsup’s beef and bean burritos are the “bomb”

Oh yeah!!!

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/20/23 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Originally Posted by machinist

Oh yeah!!!

Or the chimichana. don't forget the sauce!

Re: Mexican Food Report - 04/29/23 12:10 PM

On my way home to eat leftovers for lunch when I happened to notice this place with a lot of vehicles in the parking lot, so curiosity killed the cat.
It was crowded and I was the only Gringo in the place the whole time I ate. Ordered a spicy pork plate, the pork, rice and corn tortillas were good, beans average.
The food was served on one of those small Styrofoam plates, generous portion of meat, very small portions of rice and beans, drank water and the bill was $9.95 + tax and tip which I though was a little to much.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/21/23 12:04 AM

Went to a “Mexican Sugar” today in Plano. The drinks were Very good and the salsa was served warmed with good chips. Pictures don’t do justice but we split the chicken enchiladas and Carne Asada tacos. Both Very delicious and we are stuffed. Highly recommend. I think they have a few locations [Linked Image]
Posted By: texasag93

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/21/23 11:53 PM

Jalisco on Main St in Lewisville.

They have tacos with tortillas made from cactus that are very tasty, carnitas is my favorite. 12.99 for the cactus tortillas, 10.99 for the flour, and 9.99 for the corn tortilla tacos.

My wife has the pozole soup. 8.99 for the regular, 10.99 for the large. The large would feed both of us.

The salsa they bring to the table with the chips is thin. Ask for the hotter hot sauce. They also serve a green sauce on the side with the carnitas tacos.

I would give the place a 7 out of 10 when the place is crowded as the kitchen lags.

When they are not busy, 9 out of 10.

There is no website.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 05/22/23 04:11 PM

Interesting trip looking for a Mexican breakfast two Sundays ago.

Wife asked me Chicken Fried steaks & eggs today or Mexican? Me C senorita so off we went to Dona Mary's off of Los Rios Ave and E Park Blvd, it opens at 9:00 am.
Pull into the empty parking lot at 9 to discover they are closed on Sunday's hammer

Take the scenic route heading south on Los Rios and there is a cool estate sale, we picked up a few things and now looking for food, Wife Googled some Mexican place that sounded good named Taqueria & Tamaleria Nuevo León on 75 at Campbell Rd. We get there I go take care of business first then we go to order and the gal says we stopped serving breakfast at 10, it is now 10:06 bang

Went a couple of doors down to Cafe Brazil and finally enjoyed breakfast or as Bill would say Brunch..
Had the Roasted Poblano Pepper filled with Scrambled Eggs,. Chorizo and Cheddar, topped with Homemade Spicy. Cream Sauce and served with Fried Sweet Potatoes and it was very good.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/15/23 02:44 AM

Just got back from our local favorite Herberts here in san marcos ............ always the best since my first meal there in 1977

Re: Mexican Food Report - 06/15/23 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lotto
Just got back from our local favorite Herberts here in san marcos ............ always the best since my first meal there in 1977

up

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/06/23 09:42 PM

I love a good Mexican breakfast but it is so hard to find a good place that opens by 8 am on Sunday morning.
Never really cared for Manny's which is real close to the house but they started serving breakfast at 8 am.

So the wife and I gave it a shot and it was pretty darn good

The wifes

[Linked Image]

Mine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/07/23 12:28 PM

Heck yeah, looks great.

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/07/23 01:11 PM

Looks like breakfast, lunch and dinner Stub, lol...

Re: Mexican Food Report - 11/19/23 04:58 PM

Two weeks later Manny's Uptown strikes again and it was dayum good again!

Today I had the Migas with Chorizo added on and it was another winner, tasted the Migas without Chorizo meat and it was still real good as is.
Wife had a Bacon Omellete and again she loved it also.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Mexican Food Report - 01/26/24 11:37 PM

Well señor Barkley, it ain't Rosa's. The old adage you get what you pay for certainly applies here.
Running some early errands about 3 weeks ago and had a hankering for a Mexican breakfast and it was right across from where I was.

Might have been a total of 6 people in the place, not bad, just not good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum