Texas Hunting Forum

Give me ideas please

Posted By: tlk

Give me ideas please - 09/11/21 09:54 PM

Wife and I have taken weekend trips all over Texas for many years. We like smaller towns with great restaurants, B&Bs, shops, wineries, live music, etc.

We have taken many, many trips to these towns:

Of course Fredricksburg
Boerne
Granbury
Gruene
Wimberley
McKinney
Grapevine
Galveston
Comfort
and some I am sure I have forgotten

Please advise of any that we may have missed Thanks TLK
Posted By: ralph

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/11/21 10:36 PM

Depends on what your interests are but Llano, Kerrville and Junction are my hill country choices. Rockport-Fulton, Corpus Christi -PINS are my beach destinations.

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/12/21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by ralph
Depends on what your interests are but Llano, Kerrville and Junction are my hill country choices. Rockport-Fulton, Corpus Christi -PINS are my beach destinations.

thanks - been to all of those - Kerrville may have changed because we have not been there for awhile but back in the day there was not a lot to do there - same with Llano and Junction - but thanks for the response
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/12/21 01:56 PM

Don’t neglect East Texas , Jefferson is neat and that surrounding area. Beaumont is good , has some great seafood and inshore salt water fishing.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/12/21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Don’t neglect East Texas , Jefferson is neat and that surrounding area. Beaumont is good , has some great seafood and inshore salt water fishing.

This. food
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/12/21 03:20 PM

Check out the Guadalupe Lazy Days Riverfront TreeTop Cottages in Center Point and make sure you eat at Toucan Jims.

Thank me later.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/12/21 05:20 PM

Jefferson is a great small town to visit.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/12/21 07:29 PM

I have two wants. To tour the painted churches...

https://www.schulenburgchamber.org/painted-churches-tour

And visiting Muenster tx.

http://fischersmeatmarket.com/
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/12/21 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

Muenster ain’t too far for ya, go visit next weekend. Stop in Whitesboro too

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 10:24 AM

I have read a little about Jefferson - looks like a cool place - will give it a try thanks
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 12:25 PM

Ahem....here's a few in mid East Texas that almost no one from west of Hwy 19 knows about....
South of Tyler @ Bullard is a winery and primo eatery that has over nite guest rooms available. The project started out simply as a Very Large vineyard and has morphed into upscale homes, wine, food and recently added a upscale whiskey distillery tasting room too. Kiepersol is located about a mile to the east on the FM at the very south edge of Bullard where Hwy 69's bridge is.

In Palestine there are several notable eateries & now with the recent opening of a notable steak house called "1855" on Business Hwy 79 just north of downtown, Palestine is growing into a "destination" worth the trip. My foody driven son's grew up in North Carrollton and worked in the booming food service area just south of Addison Airport so I use them for comments on how to run a restaurant and a quality barometer of the food .
So... check out The Hollow just north of downtown behind the Court House Annex where Texas Hwy's magazine has featured the Pie Shop repeatedly and across the street is a craft beer garden with great food. Or...ya gotta try "Switch's" gourmet pizza & craft beer selections, located a block north of the Loop where the side entrance to Lowes is and don't be put off with the hilly entry there is plenty of flat parking up the hill. For more upscale variety is the Redlands Hotel downtown with it's California style restaurant over looking. Another reliable food related location is the 400 acre blueberry farm at Montalba 15 miles north of the Palestine Loop & go west couple miles at the FM rd's flashing light.

We just tried the restaurant at Lake Richland Chambers Harbor Marina, and it is worth the drive. At the west end of the Hwy 287 bridge go about a 1/2 mile further west and look for the Hwy junction from the south that dead ends at the Marina. Be sure to bring some pocket change for the fish food vending machine. The carp under the restaurant's sidewalk will boil the water at your feet trying to eat the fish chow and the kiddo's get a real kick out of watching the fish at their feet.
Ron

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 01:46 PM

thanks for the info!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 02:02 PM

When wanting to explore a new area we usually jump on the Texas Bucket List and Texas Day Tripper websites to see what is recommended.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Ahem....here's a few in mid East Texas that almost no one from west of Hwy 19 knows about....
South of Tyler @ Bullard is a winery and primo eatery that has over nite guest rooms available. The project started out simply as a Very Large vineyard and has morphed into upscale homes, wine, food and recently added a upscale whiskey distillery tasting room too. Kiepersol is located about a mile to the east on the FM at the very south edge of Bullard where Hwy 69's bridge is.

In Palestine there are several notable eateries & now with the recent opening of a notable steak house called "1855" on Business Hwy 79 just north of downtown, Palestine is growing into a "destination" worth the trip. My foody driven son's grew up in North Carrollton and worked in the booming food service area just south of Addison Airport so I use them for comments on how to run a restaurant and a quality barometer of the food .
So... check out The Hollow just north of downtown behind the Court House Annex where Texas Hwy's magazine has featured the Pie Shop repeatedly and across the street is a craft beer garden with great food. Or...ya gotta try "Switch's" gourmet pizza & craft beer selections, located a block north of the Loop where the side entrance to Lowes is and don't be put off with the hilly entry there is plenty of flat parking up the hill. For more upscale variety is the Redlands Hotel downtown with it's California style restaurant over looking. Another reliable food related location is the 400 acre blueberry farm at Montalba 15 miles north of the Palestine Loop & go west couple miles at the FM rd's flashing light.

We just tried the restaurant at Lake Richland Chambers Harbor Marina, and it is worth the drive. At the west end of the Hwy 287 bridge go about a 1/2 mile further west and look for the Hwy junction from the south that dead ends at the Marina. Be sure to bring some pocket change for the fish food vending machine. The carp under the restaurant's sidewalk will boil the water at your feet trying to eat the fish chow and the kiddo's get a real kick out of watching the fish at their feet.
Ron

Oxbow is the pie shop, get there early!
Posted By: maximum

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

Muenster ain’t too far for ya, go visit next weekend. Stop in Whitesboro too

Used to make German Fest every spring.
Good eats and Brave Combo to shake a leg to
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 06:10 PM

Come see me between the first two weekends in November, but only if you can bring a photo of the fortunate grandkid and the big buck.
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 07:02 PM

Don't sleep on Lubbock. Wineries, fantastic local restaurants, live music, The Buddy Holly Museum and the new Buddy Holly Performance Center is top notch with some fantastic acts. Turkey, TX is another cool place to visit.
Posted By: lost again

Re: Give me ideas please - 09/13/21 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by GunsUp18
Don't sleep on Lubbock. Wineries, fantastic local restaurants, live music, The Buddy Holly Museum and the new Buddy Holly Performance Center is top notch with some fantastic acts. Turkey, TX is another cool place to visit.

This is true. Spent a few days there a couple of years ago.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Give me ideas please - 10/24/21 07:54 PM

You should check out Marble Falls, TX. It has a lot to do.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Give me ideas please - 10/26/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by notamtchance
You should check out Marble Falls, TX. It has a lot to do.

Blue bonnet cafe has awesome food and desserts
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum