Texas Hunting Forum

Green Frog Jacksboro

Posted By: lhare

Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/17/21 03:00 AM

What happened to the Green Frog in Jacksboro? It's now an Italian place
Posted By: tr22johnson

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/17/21 12:47 PM

I know it was sold last year and bought by the same people that own Brandy's kitchen (Bridgeport and Decatur). Don't know if it sold again or their taking it a different route.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/17/21 03:21 PM

I was told by a local that a woman bought it and ran it for a while, then gave up and sold it.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/17/21 08:43 PM

About a year ago Brandi from Wise County bought it and ran it for a while. She recently sold it to the people that last year bought the Village kitchen, I believe they are from the DFW Metromess, and yes, they are putting Italian food in there. My go to place in town is JR's, owned by a good locally born and raised family, and they put out a good product.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/17/21 11:36 PM

Sad. Had some good lunches there, but not in a decade or so.
Posted By: VigoPark

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/18/21 11:25 PM

We always stopped at the green frog for CFS going from the panhandle to the metromess. Of course that was 40-50 years ago.

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/19/21 10:53 AM

Before I got my camper I use to go there real early for coffee before they opened, would go through the back door and there was always one or two tables with the same group of guys, some oilfield some just locals having an early cup of coffee and shooting the BS. It was always entertaining listening to Emma (waitress) give them a hard time!

Their pancakes were delicious!
Posted By: lost again

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/24/21 02:00 PM

We passed through there yesterday and was shocked to see the frog was gone. Stopped at dairyland or whatever it’s called and got the absolutely worst chopped beef sandwich I’ve ever experienced.

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/24/21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by lost again
We passed through there yesterday and was shocked to see the frog was gone. Stopped at dairyland or whatever it’s called and got the absolutely worst chopped beef sandwich I’ve ever experienced.

30 years ago Dairyland was good, but that was 30 years ago!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/24/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

Stub, how is their ice cream, shakes or malts? Better than Dairy Queen?

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/24/21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by Stub

Stub, how is their ice cream, shakes or malts? Better than Dairy Queen?

I never tried the ice cream or a shake from there. Use to get the sliced beef sandwich 15 + years ago, and they started being No Bueno , took my son there once about 10 years ago I tried the beef enchiladas and they were okay, he had the Chicken Fingers which were actually pretty darn good. To the best of my knowledge I have not eaten there since.

I know somebody that stopped in there about 4 years ago and said the BBQ was terrible.

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/24/21 10:00 PM

I live here and can say Dairyland in nasty, and at one time it was average, but it’s below that now. Their ice cream used to be the good soft serve, the kind you put milk in when my wife worked there in HS. Now it’s that water based junk with powdered flavoring. If your in town and want BBQ, the guy just South of the bridge with the trailer puts out a way better product.

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/24/21 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
I live here and can say Dairyland in nasty, and at one time it was average, but it’s below that now. Their ice cream used to be the good soft serve, the kind you put milk in when my wife worked there in HS. Now it’s that water based junk with powdered flavoring. If your in town and want BBQ, the guy just South of the bridge with the trailer puts out a way better product.

I have heard the BBQ guy with the trailer is good.

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/26/21 12:41 PM

Regarding the Green Frog-

We went to the Italian place yesterday in the old Green Frog building and it Disappointed. They do have a lunch buffet for 12.00 plus drink. I will say the pizza compares to CiCi’s, the lasagna, chicken parm, ravioli and other items seem to be from one of those frozen bags you get at Sam’s. The marinara sauce didn’t have much flavor. I was hoping for some good Italian here in town, but that does not look like it is happening. The Roma’s place in town is far better.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/26/21 01:50 PM

bolt
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/27/21 12:51 PM

Thanks for sharing
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/27/21 10:52 PM

I remember eating at the green frog in the 90s. When I am in Jacksboro I usually go to Neri’s.

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/28/21 03:45 PM

Where is JR's?

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/28/21 05:11 PM

JR’s is opposite the NW corner of the courthouse.

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/28/21 07:20 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 06/28/21 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I remember eating at the green frog in the 90s. When I am in Jacksboro I usually go to Neri’s.

this
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 07/02/21 06:51 PM

RIP Green Frog.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 07/10/21 03:50 AM

I'm sorry to hear this...been hunting Young County for 14 years now and been going thru Jacksborro between my parents in Lubbock and the metromess far longer. Always a good place to stop at the Green Frog.

I stopped at Dairyland a couple of times and never went back. The food was terrible and you had to wait forever - who waits at a drive thru?

I'll have to try JR's and the BBQ guy mentioned. Haven't tried though.

Herd's is a favorite stop though...just wish they had french fries smile

Earl
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Green Frog Jacksboro - 07/10/21 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Earl
I'm sorry to hear this...been hunting Young County for 14 years now and been going thru Jacksborro between my parents in Lubbock and the metromess far longer. Always a good place to stop at the Green Frog.

I stopped at Dairyland a couple of times and never went back. The food was terrible and you had to wait forever - who waits at a drive thru?

I'll have to try JR's and the BBQ guy mentioned. Haven't tried though.

Herd's is a favorite stop though...just wish they had french fries smile

Earl

Thriftway Deli across from Allsups in Graham makes a damn good burger and fries if you've never tried it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum