Texas Hunting Forum

Waco

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Waco - 04/18/21 10:50 PM

Anything cool at Magnolia's?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 12:31 AM

Only if you are female. There are food trucks and an expensive bakery. And there are benches for the guys to sit and wait on the wives.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 12:40 AM

Not really but you should go see the site of the Waco massacre
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 12:49 AM

Good BBQ at Guess Family BBQ. Used to be in a food trailer right down from Magnolia's but they have since moved to a brick and mortar across the river in town. I don't know if they still have the trailer there or not.
Posted By: drag13honda

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit

That's on my list to do next time I'm out that way.

Last I was there we went to the Dr Pepper museum (you can see the silos across the way from one of the windows inside), saw the suspension bridge, and had a burger at Health Camp.

They also have a Texas Rangers hall of fame and museum, Mammoth National Monument, and Cameron Park with Cameron Park Zoo.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by drag13honda

Last I was there we went to the Dr Pepper museum (you can see the silos across the way from one of the windows inside), saw the suspension bridge, and had a burger at Health Camp.

They also have a Texas Rangers hall of fame and museum, Mammoth National Monument, and Cameron Park with Cameron Park Zoo.

This, I’m out on Magnolia
Posted By: decook

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
there are benches for the guys to sit and wait on the wives.

HAHA

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 02:21 PM

Rangers museum was good , eat at the seafood place on the river . Can’t remember the name
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by drag13honda

I've done all but the Mammoth Ntl Mnt. All are worth the time...
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 03:35 PM

Stay away from the restaurant on the traffic circle and far away from the silos.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 09:49 PM

Only if you are female. There are food trucks and an expensive bakery. And there are benches for the guys to sit and wait on the wives.

that sums it up PERFECT.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Waco - 04/19/21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

that sums it up PERFECT.

I think you can get a beer while you sit on the bench waiting...
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Waco - 04/20/21 01:55 AM

Rangers museum was good , eat at the seafood place on the river . Can’t remember the name

Buzzard Billy's Great food
Posted By: PMK

Re: Waco - 04/20/21 02:47 PM

pretty interesting place out NNW from Waco called Homestead Heritage that's good for half a day venture.

Homestead Heritage
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Waco - 04/20/21 07:20 PM

Sounds like an old hippie commune.

Re: Waco - 04/20/21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Sounds like an old hippie commune.

We went there too... you’re right on
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Waco - 04/21/21 12:47 AM

Balcones Distillery is a block or so away

Re: Waco - 04/21/21 08:11 PM

Homestead Heritage is where I took a woodworking course. They also give classes on bee keeping, baking, pottery making, traditional building construction, and other stuff. You can get food there, though I only ever had breakfast.

Buzzard Billy’s is pretty good. The burgers are good. The red beans and rice are good if you don’t apply Louisiana rules as to what’s good.

The Texas Ranger museum is great, and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame (Baylor campus, but easy to get to) is worth a visit. And, the zoo is excellent.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Waco - 04/22/21 01:24 AM

I the Circle Cafe still in business?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Waco - 04/22/21 01:55 AM

Yes but it’s changed ownership 3 times since I moved here 30 years ago. Chip and Joanna run it now so it’s part of the Magnolia mania and they had to revamp the circle and add more parking nearby.
I have eaten there a couple times recently and it’s good food although I won’t stand in a long line to eat there but that goes for most anyplace I’ve been.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Waco - 04/22/21 01:57 AM

Is Health Camp gone? I assume so.
Posted By: drag13honda

Re: Waco - 04/22/21 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Is Health Camp gone? I assume so.

It was there when I was there, but that was a while back. Google still shows hours for them as well as a website listed. Their last facebook post was on easter.
Posted By: Learnin to fish

Re: Waco - 04/22/21 02:24 AM

Health Camp is still there. I am not a fan, only had it a couple times and don’t like it. Not sure what all the fuss is about that place.

Re: Waco - 04/22/21 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Learnin to fish
Health Camp is still there. I am not a fan, only had it a couple times and don’t like it. Not sure what all the fuss is about that place.

They have a great chocolate shake
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Waco - 04/22/21 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Learnin to fish

They have a great chocolate shake

So does Sonic.

Re: Waco - 04/22/21 10:08 PM

If you want what I suppose you’d call a traditional good old greasy burger and fries, Health Camp has your burger. We go there every now and then. Reminds me a lot of the Bellaire Broiler on Bellaire Blvd in Houston, where you can also get the burger of your childhood dreams (if they are still open).

Got to admit though that “health” has nothing to do with their burger, so the name seems a bit out of place.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Waco - 04/23/21 01:15 AM

Was at the circle yesterday getting wife a new windshield for her car. Couldn’t believe the traffic Magnolia Table had going in and out. Chip and Joann have the magic touch.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Waco - 04/24/21 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Anything cool at Magnolia's?

I work right across the street from them. Have been there once out of curiosity. You can buy the same crap at Hobby Lobby for half the price. Guess Family BBQ has a truck there but they only have chopped brisket sandwiches and potato salad. It is good, but a sandwich plate costs about $12.00. They do toss on some burnt ends which are pretty good by themselves. The Backyard Bar and Grill has better food and is also right there. DO NOT get BBQ at Mama and Papa B's on the corner of 7th and Clay Ave. Ever since Pop died and the kids took over the quality has really taken a back seat, and that's a damn shame. They used to have really good BBQ. Tastes like they cook it on broken down pallets now, and the beans are warmed up right out of a can.

Health Camp is still open and still anything but healthy. Super Health Burger and a strawberry/banana shake is awesome. Personally I'd keep going around the circle towards Robinson and hit Te'Jun. It's just a mile or so south and on the left. Get their peel and eat shrimp and feed the shells and tails to the catfish in their pond off the deck. If you have kids in tow they'll love it. Check their hours, they have weird open/closed dates that have changed a couple times.

I recommend the Mardi Gras pasta at Buzzard Billy's.

Just down the street Hecho in Waco (sp?) has pretty good Tex-Mex.

The Texas Rangers HOF and Museup is well worth a visit. It's a PITA to get to right now due to all the highway construction down there.

The zoo is good and a walk through Cameron Park you'll see all sorts of weird animal sculptures starting with the cattle drive across University Park Drive from the Hilton.

If you're staying the night or a weekend the Indigo is a nice modern hotel with a nice watering hole and restraunt that delivers room service.
Posted By: booger

Re: Waco - 04/25/21 01:28 PM

Hidden Cajun gem in Waco is a true dive called Friday’s! It’s on Hwy 77 and it’s legit!! Now, the neighborhood is one that you need full daylight to eat there, but the food makes up for it!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum