Texas Hunting Forum

Taco mediocrity

Posted By: 603Country

Taco mediocrity - 03/31/21 08:54 PM

Tried Fuzzy’s Tacos in Tyler. Was not impressed. Stopped off in Palestine at Jucy’s Tacos. Not impressed there either. Both had just plain boring hard shell tacos with some chicken, shredded lettuce, a small amount of diced tomato and a little cheese. That’s it, for $3 a taco. I tried their supposed best tacos, so I suppose I got the best they have. Heck, I bet Dairy Queen (aka Barely Clean) has a taco that good...or that bad. And DQ is so bad that they have the bottom TWO places on the fast food scale.

Now...if the taco places have something on the menu that’s worth eating, and that I should know about, clue me in and I might give either of them one more try.

I was starving both times, and still the food was poor.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Taco mediocrity - 03/31/21 09:15 PM

Pretty much all of those large chain taco places are mediocre to me, toss Torchy's in there as well.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Taco mediocrity - 03/31/21 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Tried Fuzzy’s Tacos in Tyler. Was not impressed. Stopped off in Palestine at Jucy’s Tacos. Not impressed there either. Both had just plain boring hard shell tacos with some chicken, shredded lettuce, a small amount of diced tomato and a little cheese. That’s it, for $3 a taco. I tried their supposed best tacos, so I suppose I got the best they have. Heck, I bet Dairy Queen (aka Barely Clean) has a taco that good...or that bad. And DQ is so bad that they have the bottom TWO places on the fast food scale.

Now...if the taco places have something on the menu that’s worth eating, and that I should know about, clue me in and I might give either of them one more try.

I was starving both times, and still the food was poor.

FME the BEST tacos you're ever going to eat outside of the house, come from little taco trailers/food trucks ran by folks that speak little to no English. Normally bad azz tacos, and cheap.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Taco mediocrity - 03/31/21 09:26 PM

We have lots of real taquerias to choose from.

Re: Taco mediocrity - 03/31/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
We have lots of real taquerias to choose from.

Same here, TONS of them.....but for whatever reason the food trucks are always better. Maybe it's because they are competing with all of the stick & mortar taquerias...
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Pretty much all of those large chain taco places are mediocre to me, toss Torchy's in there as well.

Couldn’t be more wrong, Torchys is great! You just have to know what to order.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

I've pretty much tried all they have to offer, still a pass. The ideas are there, the seasonings come way up short.
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 02:26 AM

I don't see the draw to fuzzys either. They seem to stay packed at the peak times. And they also are popping up everywhere.

There are only two things on the menu that I will even eat.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 03:06 AM

Went to the Fuzzys in Stephenville a couple years ago, I wasn’t impressed.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 11:06 AM

We have some trailers that sell street tacos that are pretty good.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 01:04 PM

I actually prefer Torchy's to Fuzzy's and it's still just OK. Those two are more about loose and fun atmospheres than their actual food offerings...
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 01:45 PM

Breakfast Tacos - A Brisket, Egg, and Cheese from Rudy's BBQ is my favorite.

Lunch/Dinner Tacos - Lots of local places that do it better than the chains, even Fuzzy's and Torchy's. The first one that comes to mind is Los Pastores on Pioneer Parkway in Arlington, and you can get Cakes and Pinatas there too...all of them made from scratch. They also do Breakfast Tacos and Burritos all day.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 01:52 PM

Torchy's is all about the queso. I do enjoy their Trailer Park taco and the brisket taco. I haven't been to Fuzzy's in about a decade, so really have no clue on that. There is a place in Houston called 100% Taquito. It is the real deal, extremely good tacos al pastor.

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 01:59 PM

the Republican and the Green chili pork taco at Torchy's are decent.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 04:07 PM

Taco's are like sandwiches to me. Sometimes you get a good one - sometimes not so good. At the end of the day its just something to make a meal out of and eat.

I will say Fuzzy's has gone down hill the last few years. We have a couple in Denton that I used to spend a lot of time in. Menu hasn't changed at all, quality and service has gone down a little, prices have gone up.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 11:13 PM

Rosas was pretty good today
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/01/21 11:33 PM

I ate at Jucy's Tacos once in Tyler. I thought it would be on par with Jucy's burgers. Sadly it was not. I'd put it on the Taco Casa level.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/02/21 03:23 AM

Go to Casa in Wichita Falls; the tacos are home made, the shell is deep fried-not some regular store bought chip, and they are red. There are none like it in Texas. Good. The chips are also home made fried.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/02/21 03:35 AM

^^^^^Casa Manana in Wichita Falls. The red taco. One of my favorites. I plan my trips trough there so I can stop and eat there.
Posted By: John2

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/02/21 09:25 PM

DQ used to be fairly decent for their tacos but the last time I ate them they were full of grease. Apparently they spoon the meat and grease and they think it's edible. barf

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/02/21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
^^^^^Casa Manana in Wichita Falls. The red taco. One of my favorites. I plan my trips trough there so I can stop and eat there.

They are great! Definitely worth a stop when passing thru!!
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/13/21 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Went to the Fuzzys in Stephenville a couple years ago, I wasn’t impressed.

I have heard the same thing. I am pretty sure that the college crowd and after work crowd gathers there for the beer drinking atmosphere rather than the good food..
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/13/21 03:09 PM

Perhaps you're just not a fan of tacos?

What is there to a traditional crispy taco? Picadillo, lettuce, tomatoe, and cheese?

Personally I love tacos, but will never make or order crispy tacos for myself they fall apart. Id much rather have a nacho chalupa etc.
Posted By: 20bore

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/13/21 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

Right. Ask for the secret menu.

Taco of the month is the Scallywag and one of the bests tacos they make.

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/13/21 07:32 PM

these are from Juanito's in Fort Worth. sooooo good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/13/21 07:47 PM

[Linked Image]

Bigbob for the win food
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/13/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

[Linked Image]

Bigbob for the win food

That pic instantly made my mouth water.

...and FWIW once Fuzzy's started franchising they started rolling down hill...FAST. Even the Mothership at TCU sucks now.

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/14/21 10:55 AM

Wow!!!

Those Jalapeños are making my mouth water!!!
Posted By: 1955

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/14/21 11:00 AM

X 2 for juanitos in ft worth food
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/14/21 06:45 PM

Who orders hard-shell tacos any more? I haven't been in a while, but at Fuzzys I like their spicy pork and special ground beef, both on soft corn. Douse in the habanero butt-burnin sauce and do work.

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/14/21 09:22 PM

New place in Corpus just opened up. Will be checking them out soon.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/14/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
New place in Corpus just opened up. Will be checking them out soon.

[Linked Image]

That restaurant knows how to advertise. Ya gotta give 'em that. I used to love watching the used car ads on the Spanish language TV channel as a kid. Who cares if it runs! roflmao

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/14/21 10:37 PM

grin Place is called Ojos Locos, Latino sports bar in Corpus. Says gringos welcome too, figured I 'd put that to the test. clap
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/14/21 10:49 PM

grin Place is called Ojos Locos, Latino sports bar in Corpus. Says gringos welcome too, figured I 'd put that to the test. clap

Gimme a date. I'll go whicha!

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/15/21 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

That would be awesome, Sir.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/16/21 04:09 AM

Used to be an Ojos Locos in Downtown Cowtown. Basically a South of the Border Hooters. Worth checking out.

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/16/21 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

Used to be an Ojos Locos in Downtown Cowtown. Basically a South of the Border Hooters. Worth checking out.

Will do!
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Taco mediocrity - 04/16/21 01:38 PM

I went to one of those a few times, felt like if I went at night, a shank in my boot would be a requirement. The scenery was pleasant though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum