Texas Hunting Forum

Amarillo

Posted By: Pupjoint

Amarillo - 07/16/20 04:44 AM

Going to be in Amarillo in a couple of weeks, need suggestions on where to eat an evening meal.
Thanks in advance
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Amarillo - 07/16/20 05:14 AM

Pretty country.

I went hunting near Amarillo for almost a week, years ago. Way off the beaten path and no one was prepared for anything. I almost starved to death. Shot some sparrows off the house. All we had to eat the last 2 days was sparrows, scissortails, bread, jalapenos and beer. True story. Good luck. grin
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Amarillo - 07/16/20 12:16 PM

What's a trip to Amarillo without a visit to The Big Texan !
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Amarillo - 07/16/20 12:28 PM

Green chile willies for CFS
Coyote Bluff for burgers....not sandwiches. Bring cash.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Amarillo - 07/16/20 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Old Stony
What's a trip to Amarillo without a visit to The Big Texan !

A good one....I avoid that place like the plague....
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Amarillo - 07/16/20 05:29 PM

2nd the Coyote Bluff suggestion. And yes bring cash. They do take checks but no CC's.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Amarillo - 07/16/20 06:26 PM

Burgers: Coyote Bluff or Blue Sky...(I prefer Blue Sky)
Pizza: 575 Pizza, Vince's (great Gyro's as well)
Seafood: None
Cajun: Lazy Gator is outstanding
Mexican: El Bracero on 6th
6th Street (Route 66): Golden Light (get the green chili burger and fries), Smokey Joe's (get the wings and cold beer)
Steaks: Texas Roadhouse, Metropolitan (pricy)
Other: Cask and Cork, Drunken Oyster
Best Menu and Good Food: Bubba's 33
Asian: My Thai,
CFS: Green Chili Willie's
Hidden Gems: North Heights Discount and Cafe (outstanding food and Kool-Aid), Scott's Oyster Bar
Breakfast Burrito: Meme's DOC

Give me a shout if you have any questions...I'm 25 minutes from Amarillo
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Amarillo - 07/16/20 07:13 PM

I often stay in Amarillo or Lubbock for 2-3 weeks at a time for work. In that time, i will eat at Blue Sky at least 7-10 times. The Blue Sky Steak, a two patty hamburger steak smothered in queso and green chilies with a Blue Bell milkshake hits the spot every time and never gets old.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Amarillo - 07/16/20 10:30 PM

Coyote bluff for a bacon cheeseburger. I believe they take CC now too.
Green Chili willies is good too.
Golden light is closed down I believe.
Bracero's makes a good margarita.
Taco Villa meat burrito. Take it home and the next day, heat it up on a cast iron skillet to get a little crunch, so good!
Rosas is good for quick mexican too, their beef fajita nachos are pretty dang good.

The big texan sucks, it's just a tourist trap, you'll never find locals eating there.
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: Amarillo - 07/17/20 03:03 AM

Thanks for all of your recommendations, no worries about big Texan, I did that some40 years ago and failed by like a 1/4 of a lb, I didn’t eat steak for several months after that...
Posted By: lil_red_ryder

Re: Amarillo - 07/18/20 03:54 AM

Lot’s of good suggestions, Jorge’s is another good Mexican stop and Wesley’s Bean Pot for some good BBQ
Posted By: Erny

Re: Amarillo - 07/18/20 01:16 PM

I really enjoy Blue Sky for burgers. The Big Texan is OK, but it gets very crowded and the wait is too long for me.
Posted By: VigoPark

Re: Amarillo - 07/27/20 06:04 PM

Hils hamburgers in Canyon are worth the trip from Amarillo. Breakfast is good also. Burgers and onion rings are what we get when we are in town. Won't be disappointed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum