Texas Hunting Forum

Best fried chicken

Posted By: bill oxner

Best fried chicken - 02/18/20 11:52 PM

Had a neighbor who went back to east Texas for a funeral years ago. He was looking forward to Hattie's fried chicken. Hattie told him that it was KFC. That was back before the explosion of fried chicken joints. I fried my own for years, but never again. My go to fried chicken is the Popeyes Tuesday special spicy. Had it tonight.

Yours?
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 12:10 AM

My go to is Bubba’s in University Park near SMU. The Babe’s folks.

Been going for years. Never changes. Good folks.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 01:51 AM

I like Bush’s Chicken, I always stop there in Lemesa when I go thru.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by rjf1911
My go to is Bubba’s in University Park near SMU. The Babe’s folks.

Been going for years. Never changes. Good folks.

Agree. Bubba's is always good.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 03:46 AM

Babes has pretty good chicken. For fast food I like Churches Spicy.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 12:53 PM

Babes is hard to beat. Chicken, biscuits, gravy.....come on with it.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 02:02 PM

Brookshire grocery store
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 02:05 PM

Yep Bubba's across from SMU
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 02:14 PM

Gus's Fried Chicken
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 02:49 PM

Chicken Express. Always delicious.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/19/20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by topwater13

Babe's Chicken is so-so...but their catffish, chick fried steak, and all the fixins! MMM!

For chain fried Chicken, Popeye's.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/20/20 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Chicken Express. Always delicious.

Ours is a hit or a miss, sometimes it s great, others, okay.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/20/20 04:18 AM

Favorite all time is Blue Ribbon chicken, a New York place. Also Vegas.

Locally, believe it or not Kroger deli.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/20/20 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

Babe's Chicken is so-so...but their catffish, chick fried steak, and all the fixins! MMM!

For chain fried Chicken, Popeye's.

I decided to eat at Popeyes last week hammer 3 pieces meal that comes with one side ( I had Red Beans & Rice) a biscuit and a drink, it was $9.47 Never again bang
Posted By: Cast

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/20/20 02:11 PM

For some unknown reason we found that Ohio has great fried chicken. Every little hole in the wall makes it and it was always the best ever. That’s the only thing I miss about Ohio.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/21/20 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Brookshire grocery store

Yup!!! Always solid.. If Im in the Metromess Bubbas in Dallas or Frisco... Even though they own Babes, its not the same...
Waco gotta stop at Bushs!!
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/21/20 05:06 AM

Pop’s Honey Fried Chicken on Hwy 80 in Terrell. Never seen so many sides. Very good fried chicken.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/21/20 05:23 PM

You guys aren't going to believe this but the Walmart chicken here is dang good . I am a picking eater also but there deli has really gotten great

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/21/20 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by easton1025
Brookshire grocery store

Yup!!! Always solid.. If Im in the Metromess Bubbas in Dallas or Frisco... Even though they own Babes, its not the same...
Waco gotta stop at Bushs!!

Had the chicken at the Brookshires Bridgeport store, pretty good.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/21/20 08:36 PM

My favorite "normal" fried chicken is Walmart deli fried chicken.

The best fried chicken ive ever had came from a place called Yardbird in Las Vegas. Was supposed to be marinated in buttermilk and spices for 18+ hours, it was off the charts compared to any other fried chicken ive had.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/21/20 08:37 PM

The buttermilk brine is important to get that super juicy chicken.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/21/20 10:53 PM

Another vote for Brookshire's! It's a staple on any summertime fishing trip. I like it better cold, actually, so I buy it the day before and toss it in the ice chest with the beverages.

Bush's in Waco is OK but something changed about 15 years ago and I'm no longer a fan. They do have large pieces, thougjh. Much bigger than Popeye's. A thigh from Bush's is the size of a breast from Popeye's.

Not really propper fried chicken, but I love those open top cups of chicken nuggets from Walmart.

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/22/20 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy

The best fried chicken ive ever had came from a place called Yardbird in Las Vegas. Was supposed to be marinated in buttermilk and spices for 18+ hours, it was off the charts compared to any other fried chicken ive had.

I read this and immediately was confused with the Yardhouse restaurant chain. Looked up Yardbird and saw where they are opening one in Dallas mid-March 2020. Will have to try.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/22/20 05:43 PM

I read this and immediately was confused with the Yardhouse restaurant chain. Looked up Yardbird and saw where they are opening one in Dallas mid-March 2020. Will have to try.

Yardbirds is without a doubt the best fried chicken I have ever had with the exception of my mother’s own recipe. Exciting to hear they are coming to DFW. Their Chicken, Waffles and Spicy Watermelon is about as good as it gets. Always a must when in Vegas.

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/22/20 07:34 PM

My momma was a great cook but she fried chicken in a skillet rather than a deep fryer. Made great gravy with the pan drippings but came up short of the deep fried chicken of now days. I like most of them but prefer Popeyes because of their spicy recipe.

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/22/20 08:20 PM

My mom made fried chicken in the oven. I guess it was less of a mess. No it wasn’t shake n bake.

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/22/20 09:50 PM

My mom made fried chicken in the oven. I guess it was less of a mess. No it wasn’t shake n bake.

I've heard of this. Good?
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/23/20 12:27 AM

Babe's is really good, but if you eat all the family style sides, biscuits, etc. you almost have to be wheeled out of the restaurant on a dolly.

Lisa's Chicken (Three locations in Arlington) IMO is easily the best fried chicken for the money.

Does anybody know if The Red Rooster is still in business in Brenham? Once upon a time they had great fried chicken.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/23/20 03:48 PM

Well of course it was good, it was cooked by Mom.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/23/20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
I like Bush’s Chicken, I always stop there in Lemesa when I go thru.

We had a Bush's Chicken place, it had just got going good and then closed without notice. It was really good while it lasted.
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/23/20 07:48 PM

Babes, Sanger,Tx
Posted By: rickym

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/23/20 09:52 PM

Hands down its Frenchy’s, but you only know about it if your from Houston.
Posted By: Couzin

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/24/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by HuntingTexas
Pop’s Honey Fried Chicken on Hwy 80 in Terrell. Never seen so many sides. Very good fried chicken.

This^^^!!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/24/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Theringworm

Yardbirds is without a doubt the best fried chicken I have ever had with the exception of my mother’s own recipe. Exciting to hear they are coming to DFW. Their Chicken, Waffles and Spicy Watermelon is about as good as it gets. Always a must when in Vegas.

She wont see it sooooo…. its better than my mommas fried chicken

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/24/20 05:38 PM

if your ever in the middle of God's country, be sure to stop here...

http://www.eischensbar.com/

[Linked Image]

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/24/20 06:17 PM

if your ever in the middle of God's country, be sure to stop here...

http://www.eischensbar.com/

[Linked Image]

Oh heavens that does look good food
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/24/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by rickym
Hands down its Frenchy’s, but you only know about it if your from Houston.

You are correct sir. I get some every time I'm there.
Posted By: Ben Kabisch

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/25/20 07:51 PM

we had a place in Wichita Falls called the Chicken Box...was open for a long time but just recently shut down dangit! Best chicken i've ever had!!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/26/20 01:41 AM

We had a place in Waco called Crack House Chicken ( unofficial name). It was great chicken, but the place looked like a crack house! Everyone just asked for lunch, "Crack House Chicken?". Ok
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/26/20 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ben Kabisch
we had a place in Wichita Falls called the Chicken Box...was open for a long time but just recently shut down dangit! Best chicken i've ever had!!

Dang, I remember going there growing up. They would put the jalapeno juice in with your bag of chicken.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/26/20 03:01 PM

I'm at work reading this and looking at the pics like
[Linked Image]

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/26/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by huntingag01

Dang, I remember going there growing up. They would put the jalapeno juice in with your bag of chicken.

Forgot about this place. It was good.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/26/20 08:50 PM

My favorite is by far Eischen's. Just don't get it very often. I do like Babe's and Brookshire's too.

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/26/20 09:55 PM

I was over at the same center where Popeyes is and saw that KFC had just opened a new store near there. Haven't had KFC chicken years. Might give it a try just to compare and contrast. Hate to give up the taste and price of Popeyes Tuesday special.

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/28/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I was over at the same center where Popeyes is and saw that KFC had just opened a new store near there. Haven't had KFC chicken years. Might give it a try just to compare and contrast. Hate to give up the taste and price of Popeyes Tuesday special.

You can take it to the bank when I quote myself. I'm trying it with a microwaved sweet potato tonight.
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/28/20 03:34 PM

Lucy's in Austin...Fried Chicken, Fried Calf Fries and Fried Deviled Eggs...mmmm
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/28/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eagle 1
Lucy's in Austin...Fried Chicken, Fried Calf Fries and Fried Deviled Eggs...mmmm

The chicken spaghetti casserole is amazing there. Also their fried pork chops are really good.

Re: Best fried chicken - 02/28/20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by krmitchell
Originally Posted by Eagle 1

The chicken spaghetti casserole is amazing there. Also their fried pork chops are really good.

Just went to the website and menu, looks great up
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/07/20 05:01 PM

Fat Chicken Rockwall
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/07/20 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by goosebuster
Gus's Fried Chicken

THIS!!!! I’ve had the chicken at most places that have been mentioned here. GUS’s hands down.
Brookshires is good but man they love to pour on the salt
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/11/20 04:54 PM

This is supposively the best in Dallas. Streets Fine Chicken. Haven't been there but the menu looks killer.

https://www.streetsfinechicken.com/menus-1
Posted By: Earl

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/12/20 03:46 AM

My favorite "fast food" fried chicken would be Popeyes Spicy. Restraunts in Texas probably babes. My wife's though beats all of them. Now, don't tell the wife but the absolute best fried chicken I've ever had - the pan fried chicken at AQ Chicken House in Springdale, Arkansas.

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/12/20 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckman
This is supposively the best in Dallas. Streets Fine Chicken. Haven't been there but the menu looks killer.

I will have to try it up
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/12/20 11:24 PM

bigbob_ftw get a box of this https://grocery.walmart.com/ip/Kent...BQqfEAQYASABEgLI-fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Follow the instructions. It is real good. use butter not water. We did it last night.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/12/20 11:28 PM

Jalapeno dipped gizzards from there were awesome back in the late 70's early 80's.
Posted By: MikeU

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/17/20 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckman

When all the stupidity stops.
Posted By: TPACK

Re: Best fried chicken - 03/27/20 03:15 PM

We live close enough to Mary`s Café to get the carry out service during the corona virus crack down. We got a LARGE chicken fry for the two of us and it was way more that we could eat. It actually made two meals for 2 people. It was also very tender and tasted great. Great job Mary` Café.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum