Texas Hunting Forum

Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 05/30/19 07:46 PM

Id rather fly but may end up driving. What are some attractions to stop at for a break.

whats the best route/
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 05/30/19 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Id rather fly but may end up driving. What are some attractions to stop at for a break.

whats the best route/

Who is going? you and the wife? Kids and Grandkids?

Natural bridge Caverns is cool for adults and kids
My boy loves the Snake farm.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 05/30/19 09:17 PM

9+ hours drive, dang ... that's a long day!!! Based on Google maps, the three recommended routes are

35 to San Antonio, 37 to west edge of Corpus Christi, then down 77. (9 hours 18 minutes)
35 to north of Georgetown, then toll 130 to Lockhart (mmm, good BBQ), then 183 to Luling, then 80 to Kenedy, then 181 to Skidmore, 359 to Mathis, 37 to west edge of Corpus, then down 77 (9 hours 10 minutes)
35 to Waco, 77 all the way down (9 hours 31 minutes)

of course there are other alternate routes within a few minutes difference. When we go to Corpus/Port A from Gtown, we normally just take 130 all the way to Seguin, 123 to Kenedy, then 181 to 359 to 37 to 77. (9 hours 13 minutes)

as someone else stated, who all is going? and how frequent will you need to stop?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 05/30/19 10:50 PM

I’d fly.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 05/30/19 11:14 PM

Lockhart sounds like a good stop. Also, Shiner might be a good stop. I've always wanted to go tour the brewery. When I was a kid, I toured the blue bell creamery in Brenham.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 05/30/19 11:59 PM

Is Soccer Grandma coming? Ya gotta update us on your current situation. Stopping points differ, depending upon what the latest feme fatale's in the car.

Just get on the dreaded I35 'til you hit San Antonio. Don't bother stopping anywhere, except maybe Highway Department rest stops. Take the loop to the east around Austin. If you have to eat, eat at the Liberty Bar on the close southside of San Antonio, not too far off the highway. (Google it.) Keep going. For supper, eat at King's Inn in Riviera (pronounced "ri-veer-a"), off 77 (closer to the water already). Warning: Do NOT stop in Robstown. And...bada-bing, you're there.

You're welcome.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 05/31/19 12:38 AM

Well. The trip from Dallas to San Antonio sucks. And that’s the best part of the drive.

King Ranch?

35. To 37. To 77.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 05/31/19 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Is Soccer Grandma coming? Ya gotta update us on your current situation. Stopping points differ, depending upon what the latest feme fatale's in the car.

Just get on the dreaded I35 'til you hit San Antonio. Don't bother stopping anywhere, except maybe Highway Department rest stops. Take the loop to the east around Austin. If you have to eat, eat at the Liberty Bar on the close southside of San Antonio, not too far off the highway. (Google it.) Keep going. For supper, eat at King's Inn in Riviera (pronounced "ri-veer-a"), off 77 (closer to the water already). Warning: Do NOT stop in Robstown. And...bada-bing, you're there.

You're welcome.

Pretty sure Kings Inn is closed one day a week, Monday I think. Keep that in mind.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Drive from Frisco to South Padre Island - 06/03/19 03:52 AM

thanks boyeez ill check it out,

just got home from grandmas house, just a quick snack bolt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum