Texas Hunting Forum

Newer update, Lum's

Posted By: 7mag

Newer update, Lum's - 02/19/19 12:25 AM

So Friday we head to SA to see our youngest. I was craving that Lums BBQ as always. They don't close till 1000 PM so I knew we were good and got there at 700 PM. I have never bashed Lum's and I/we have shown up later than than 700 PM even during holidays and hunting season. There has always been ample supply of meats, sides etc. I know it is hard to gauge how much you need for the day as well.

Disappointed they only had sausage and chopped BBQ brisket with 3 hours remaining. Not very many people in there unless during the day it must been a ton of customers and cleaned out the place. We had the chopped brisket it was meh at best. IMO it is hard to judge good bbq with chopped brisket as it gets sauced up pretty bad.

We ate it for 2 reasons. One We were still a ways from SA and 2 I was not about to cross the interstate and go to Coopers BBQ barf I noticed the place was run by 3-4 younger men. When I use to go in there there was an older heavy set gentleman? Maybe the owner?

On the plus side they cleaned it up and took out a bunch of clutter in the middle area and re did the outside, looks really nice. Anyone been and how was it?
Posted By: Stub

Re: Newer update, Lum's - 02/19/19 12:03 PM

Bummer on the meh bbq
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Newer update, Lum's - 02/19/19 12:42 PM

I may eat there today, but probably won't have time. The sons run it mostly now I think, but the dad works when he wants to. I've never been at night. At lunch it can get crowded with a broad mix of locals, oilfield, hunters in season, and travelers.

Last time I was in there with my son, in early January, it was pretty good. Just had to wait while the yuppie young family was half in the bathrooms, half at the counter, asking small children what they wanted across the room, with no worry at all for the line piling up behind them. You know, the type that tries to take as long as possible to order. This ain't La Madeleine! bang
Posted By: PMK

Re: Newer update, Lum's - 02/19/19 07:34 PM

I swung by there on my way back home from Ozona in mid January. I picked up a couple lbs of brisket and some sausage to take home. When they asked me if I wanted sauce, I said does it need sauce? I got a strange look at first, then the person behind the counter said just depends on your taste. I said OK, give me a little sauce in a cup with a lid. I also stopped in at Coopers and got a similar order to do a side by side taste comparison at home later that day. I have found Coopers to be hit or miss on their brisket but I equally enjoyed both Lum's and Coopers (without sauce). They were different in flavors but both were pretty good, not top 10 (possibly not even top 20) in my opinion but both were worth the stop. My wife had to use sauce on both and neither were sweet enough for her likings.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum