Texas Hunting Forum

BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke

Posted By: 7mag

BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke - 08/14/18 01:13 AM

Ok so here goes. This past Saturday we decided to try Up in Smoke BBQ. It's located on 349 as you go towards Lamesa. The guy who runs it has won a pretty big title for BBQ a few yrs back on national TV.

Anyhow 90 percent of his business is catering all over the state. He recently opened up a small place and we decided to give it a go. Brisket was the best I have ever had, spot on. Flavorful, tender, smokey etc. I liked the sausage and ribs as well. Chicken was good but no out of this world great.

Sides? I did not like them. I don't like macaroni salad and the potato salad was blah. Pintos were ok, my favorite out of the 3 sides offered. Sides were just not there for us.

Be ready to spend a few dollars. For the 4 of us with 2 meats each, 3 sides each and a drink it was 100 bucks, total for 4. It is 19.95 per person, no drink or dessert. BBQ is expensive just about anywhere so, yeah.

So yeah I liked the meat part just didn't care for the sides.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke - 08/14/18 01:25 AM

I have found in eating at a lot of the better acclaimed bbq places the sides are usually just meh. So I usually just order meats.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke - 08/14/18 02:40 AM

Thanks for the review.
Do you know if they sell brisket by the pound?

I went to Evie Maies in Wolfforth a few weeks ago and was really impressed with it.
I ordered the #6 plate. It comes with your choice of 2 sides and all of these meats, 1/4 lbs. of each: brisket,pulled pork,pork ribs,turkey breast,and couple different sausages.
The sides I chose were green Chile and cheese grits and jalapeņo and cheese cornbread.
Everything is great. They even give you a free beer.
I ordered the plate knowing I would have leftovers for another meal. The plate was $28.00.
I chowed down there, and had enough left over for another meal later.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke - 08/14/18 02:46 AM

Wow. That would be a one and done if it didn't include beer for that $$$.

Re: BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke - 08/14/18 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Wow. That would be a one and done if it didn't include beer for that $$$.

Yeah it's pricey

Re: BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke - 08/14/18 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: mbavo
Thanks for the review.
Do you know if they sell brisket by the pound?

I went to Evie Maies in Wolfforth a few weeks ago and was really impressed with it.
I ordered the #6 plate. It comes with your choice of 2 sides and all of these meats, 1/4 lbs. of each: brisket,pulled pork,pork ribs,turkey breast,and couple different sausages.
The sides I chose were green Chile and cheese grits and jalapeņo and cheese cornbread.
I ordered the plate knowing I would have leftovers for another meal. The plate was $28.00.

Really not sure on that. Here is a link

https://www.bbqmidlandtx.com/
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke - 08/14/18 12:30 PM

Top to bottom Evie Mae's is the best bbq joint in my opinion. They pay attention to their sides and desserts just as much as the meat. Fantastic folks who run it too.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: BBQ, Midland Texas, Up in Smoke - 08/15/18 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: GunsUp18

Top to bottom Evie Mae's is the best bbq joint in my opinion. They pay attention to their sides and desserts just as much as the meat. Fantastic folks who run it too.

Yeah Evie Mae's sides are as good as their meats. The green chile cheese grits might be the best side I have ever had at a BBQ joint.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum