Texas Hunting Forum

Country Tavern Kilgore

Posted By: Leonardo

Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/07/18 09:07 PM

Noticed in the latest bbq thread that this place doesn't get mentioned. Both times I have eaten there it was outstanding. Any of the east tx boys frequent this place or have an opinion?
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/07/18 11:59 PM

I've eaten there many times and have only gotten the ribs. Have not had the brisket. They are consistently very good. My yardstick for ribs is the Railhead in Fort Worth.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/08/18 12:53 AM

Been eating there since the 80's and can't ever remember a bad meal.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/08/18 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: jetdad
I've eaten there many times and have only gotten the ribs. Have not had the brisket. They are consistently very good. My yardstick for ribs is the Railhead in Fort Worth.

Not to sure about your yardstick. When Charlie had that place(Railhead) on Vickery Blvd. it was my yardstick also but ever since it's moved to Montgomery I don't think the ribs taste near as good. IMHO
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/08/18 05:54 PM

It may have lost a little when Harry died but they're still my favorite for ribs.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/10/18 03:21 AM

Love there ribs. In fact, they are the gold standard of ribs. The big downside is the price and the sides are soso. 25 years ago when I went for the first time they did not have menus and only offered one brand of beer, Old Milwaukee, I beleve. When I ask the older waitress about what they had she said “we have ribs and brisket...and Honey, no one gets the brisket”
Posted By: ETHunter39

Re: Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/14/18 04:08 PM

Country Tavern's ribs are outstanding! Not the best I've ever had, but easily in the top few.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/19/18 09:02 PM

I like CT, when I find myself in Kilgore I go have some ribs.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Country Tavern Kilgore - 08/21/18 01:45 AM

I played FB at KJC. Country Tavern was a regular stop. Good stop.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum