Texas Hunting Forum

The best thing you ever ate

Posted By: bill oxner

The best thing you ever ate - 03/14/17 11:37 PM

On the road. I'll go first. It was a lobster bits and pieces dish in butter. It was in a restaurant called O'Donnell!s in downtown Washington DC. You go next.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 02:00 AM

Pappadeauxs Blackened oyster, shrimp and crawfish fondue in Sugarland...eat it every chance i get! food
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 03:46 AM

Trout sent straight from the water to the grease in Cocodrie, LA. food
Posted By: topwater13

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 12:09 PM

A lightly breaded and fried calamari dish in redondo beach CA....drizzled with some sort of olive oil garlic mixture. Razor clams in oregon and fresh lobster in New Hampshire wasn't bad either. A cheese sandwich when I was about to starve while hauling hay as a younger man was pretty damned good...it is all relative.
Posted By: GunsUp18

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 01:21 PM

Hard call. Overall Meal came from a Pecan Lodge Behind the Pit Dinner where they served a menu of

First Course was smoked salmon on top of a bed of cheese grits with greens, a smoked quail on a bed of white beans, then smoked beef rib and chuck with a side or horseradish and smoked peach cobbler for dessert.
Posted By: janie

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 01:54 PM

Grilled scallop's. Tampa, FL

Grilled crappie. My backyard.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 04:25 PM

2" Thick Ribeye (bone in), Baked tater and salad and a slice of homemade apple pie with a scoop of Blue Bell Homemade vanilla. Cooked by the chef at Sherwin Williams private deer lease. Have not had a steak that good since. Was about 15-16 years ago. It was put on the grill frozen and then seasoned with Fiesta fajita seasoning.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 04:28 PM

I'm going with my Grandma's fried chicken.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 04:42 PM

Pecan crusted trout with twice baked cheese potatoes in a little hole-in-the-wall family restaurant in NE Ohio.....
Posted By: PMK

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 05:21 PM

I don't think I could narrow it down to 10, much less 1
Posted By: coonie

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/15/17 08:28 PM

First one that comes to mind is the fried soft shell crab appetizer at GW Fins in New Orleans.
Posted By: GO REBS

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/16/17 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
Pappadeauxs Blackened oyster, shrimp and crawfish fondue in Sugarland...eat it every chance i get! food

make it yourself with double the seafood and you will never go back to Pappadeauxs.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pappadeauxs-blackened-oyster-and-shrimp-fondue-293047
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/16/17 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: GO REBS
Originally Posted By: NewGulf

make it yourself with double the seafood and you will never go back to Pappadeauxs.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pappadeauxs-blackened-oyster-and-shrimp-fondue-293047

We have probably a dozen times and while it's really good it doesn't touch the real thing at all they know their stuff.
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/16/17 03:43 AM

Langouste Thermidor at the luxor in vegas 20 yrs ago
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/16/17 03:07 PM

The cheese enchiladas at El Gordos in Wichita Falls are what I judge all enchiladas by. However, that was the El Gordos of the 70's and 80's. It has fallen so far off in quality that I won't go there anymore.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/16/17 04:02 PM

My Grandma's fried chicken and biscuits.
Posted By: Obi Wan

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 03/17/17 03:45 AM

Can't decide. Either: Filet Tampiquena at El Chapparal in Helotes or Prime Rib at Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage AK, or homemade tamales in San Angelo (local Methodist Church ladies made them for Old Fort Concho days)
Posted By: dubya

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/12/17 04:18 PM

Hard call..my Mother's fried chicken. On my own, venison chili.
Whatever it is it would be homemade...
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/12/17 08:20 PM

Elk Steak with potato pancakes and wild mushroom gravy at Matt's No Place (an invitation only joint owned by Matt Martinez in Dallas).
Posted By: 603Country

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/12/17 08:47 PM

At Commander's Palace in New Orleans. It was a Filet Mignon topped with artichoke hearts and bearnaise sauce. After having lived in NO for 7 years, we moved to Houston. 8 or 10 years later I went back on business and we ate at Commander's. I still remember thinking, after that first bite of steak, "my God, I forgot just how good this place is". No other meal anywhere has ever made me stop in mid-chew and contemplate the taste that was partying in my mouth.

Second memorable meal, also in NO, was at Ruth's Chris, at the original location on North Broad (I think that was the street). I was with a couple of guys, and to my surprise, one of those guys was dating the night manager. We walked in and she flew into a big hug and kiss with the guy. After that we got a special table and the best ribeye I can ever remember eating.

Man...I gotta go back to New Orleans. The food is like no place else on earth.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/12/17 09:42 PM

This is tough. I'm a big seafood eater so I will say I had some crab and lobster in Portland that was the best I have ever had. At home, the pan fried quail my grandmother used to cook was the best.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/13/17 10:56 AM

I know I'm skating the question but, it was not at my house so. Anything either one of my Grandmothers made.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/16/17 04:11 AM

180 Day Dry Aged Bone-in Ribeye at Carnevino in Las Vegas.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/16/17 05:11 PM

It depends on how hungry I was at the time. I once sauteed a whiting that was so fresh the gills were still gulping for air at my feet. Best meal, though? Probbly a ribeye dusted with TexJoy and a salt rubbed baked potato.
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/18/17 12:09 PM

Spam, tomato, mayo on white. It was 40 degrees and misting rain. It was at a bird dog competition. I was throwing yesterday's birds.
Posted By: HuntersAnonymous41

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/18/17 02:35 PM

My dads fried chicken, red beans and rice out of Marksville, LA. And then there was this one time where I was given quail at a camp in California. I have no idea what they did to it but it was some of the best meat I had ever tasted....
Posted By: Cast

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/18/17 03:04 PM

Homemade vegetable beef soup fresh from the garden with mom's skillet cornbread. Fresh cantaloupe and watermelon also from the garden for dessert.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/18/17 03:12 PM

No particular order

Ceviche from a Place in La Fortuna, Costa Rica
Lobster stew from Hattie's in Hallowell, Maine
The Filet from Graycliff restaurant in Nassau Bahamas
My Wife's enchilada casserole and her pumpkin chocolate chip bread.
and my Mom's carrot cake.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: The best thing you ever ate - 04/18/17 04:33 PM

Grilled walleye fresh out of the lake in the middle of a 7 day canoe trip in Canada.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum