Texas Hunting Forum

fredericksburg eats

Posted By: tex70

fredericksburg eats - 12/12/14 12:56 AM

Hey guys, i'm sure this has been covered a number of times but I'm curious what y'all think are the best restaurants in Fredericksburg. I've been there numerous times in the past but it's been a couple years since my last visit. I plan to hit Alamo Springs but after that I'm wide open to suggestions. I would like to get a really good steak if possible
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/12/14 03:55 AM

Hondo's has a great burger...Auslander is good. Hilltop cafe north of town is great. Crossroads is decent but hit or miss in my opinion. K bobs steaks are good. Good luck
Posted By: TX_Diver

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/13/14 12:58 AM

Ate breakfast at Sunset Cafe and it was pretty tasty. Couldn't comment on anywhere else though.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/13/14 04:12 AM

The Pork Shank at Silver Creek is out of sight. Served with homemade spoetzel and braised is a Rosemary Reisling sauce. Really good. Get a side of grilled rye bread. You will thank me.

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/13/14 04:17 AM

Also Cranky Framks puts out some good BBQ and Charley's has I think the best burger in town. No comparison to Alamo Springs but darn good.

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/13/14 04:56 AM

Now we're gettin somewhere! Thanks for the responses so far & keep them coming. I've actually eaten at all the restaurants mentioned above except Sunset Cafe & Cranky Franks. I appreciate the feedback
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/13/14 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: C3 guide
Hondo's has a great burger...Auslander is good. Hilltop cafe north of town is great. Crossroads is decent but hit or miss in my opinion. K bobs steaks are good. Good luck
X2 on the Hilltop café. Owner Johnny Nicholas is awesome too, a one man band.
Posted By: easton1025

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/23/14 03:36 PM

If you havnt been to Freidhelms then you are missing it..They have a "center cut" ribeye they broil and pile sauteed onions on that is worth a 4 hr drive from Dallas...Also they have about 20 different schnitzles....I love the Hunter schnitzle..
Posted By: NDN98

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/23/14 06:56 PM

Love the Chicken Fried Steak at Hilltop Cafe. It is a must stop when I am in Fredricksburg.

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/24/14 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: easton1025
If you havnt been to Freidhelms then you are missing it..They have a "center cut" ribeye they broil and pile sauteed onions on that is worth a 4 hr drive from Dallas...Also they have about 20 different schnitzles....I love the Hunter schnitzle..

I had the Cheese Schnitzel the other day with the spoetzel. Outstanding. Waitress said the Pepper Schnitzel was really good too. Good spot.
Posted By: boonee

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/24/14 04:06 AM

I don't think I have had any bad food around there! Wait... yep, breakfast at the hotel, not so good.
Also try the red wines at the Llano winery, we always have to bring some back.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/24/14 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight
Originally Posted By: easton1025

I had the Cheese Schnitzel the other day with the spoetzel. Outstanding. Waitress said the Pepper Schnitzel was really good too. Good spot.

Freidhelms is great. Weiner schnitzel for me.

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/25/14 02:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, heading out Sunday.I'll report later if I stumble onto something y'all need to try
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/25/14 10:26 PM

I gotta write these down, I go twice a yr for the gunshow and have not had good luck finding a breakfast place
Posted By: littlebass

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/28/14 04:40 PM

I've never had bad food anywhere in F'burg. Our usuals are Silver Creek (live music and great food/beer), Hondo's burgers, and Hilltop Café West of town. Hilltop is pricy but it's a must have. Great food. There's also a steak house across the street from Hondo's that has an old school dance hall in the back that's usually packed on Fri/Sat night. Steaks are very good but can't remember the name.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/29/14 04:02 PM

There was a Italian food place on north end of town that is pretty good! My last memory of F'Burg was trying to navigate from Silver Creek to the Sunday House after falling in love with Miranda Dawn. My son and I had waaaay too much fun.

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/30/14 06:28 AM

Well, we hit Alamo Springs yesterday & Silver Creek today.Alamo was better than I remember but Silver Creek was a bit of a letdown

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/30/14 06:48 AM

I agree I like silver creek for a evening venue with friends and hunters but the food is hit or miss.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: fredericksburg eats - 12/30/14 03:56 PM

The catfish place on the west end of town is pretty good.

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/01/15 04:44 AM

We also went to hondo's & it was ok I guess but more of an atmosphere type of place. I tried some fajita/enchilada dish but probably should of stuck with a burger. I also thought West End Pizza was decent. I stayed away from some of the higher end places because I was trying to stretch a dollar over several days
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/01/15 05:05 AM

Kinda grew up on weekends around Fredericksburg. Plenty of good places and plenty of not good places. Hours ago I had one of the worst Mexican lunches I've ever had in my life at Altos de Jalisco (strip center, east end). Do not go there.

Hilltop is about the best there is. Johnny was the original piano player for Asleep At The Wheel.

Probably the oldest restaurant in Fbg. is Andy's Diner and there is absolutely nothing spectacular about it.

The catfish place mentioned above is pretty good.

On the high end, if you need a "date night" with the wife, there's The Nest (on 87). French. Good. Expensive.

I guess Fredericksburg Brewery has pretty good craft beer, but their pizzas smell like Tony's to me.

Do the Crouch daughters still own Hondo's? One of our daughters found a worm in her salad there years ago. We still kid her about it.

I've become like the old square heads that were in town when I was a kid. I appreciate the money that's come to town in the last few decades, but I avoid Main Street like the plague. If you have to go to the other end of town, you can do it in half the time going one of the side streets.

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/01/15 05:47 PM

Creekrunner I couldn't agree more about Main Street! It's amazing how busy that town gets on the weekend, hence the reason I only travel out there once every year or two.I love the country side in that area but I can do without the crowds
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/01/15 07:40 PM

If I was given the choice of Main Street in Fredericksburg the day after Thanksgiving (for eternity) or hell, I'd have to think about it.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/01/15 08:04 PM

Mrs and I love the Hilltop Cafe.

But if you're in Fredericksburg, a German community, you've got to eat German at least once. Some don't like sauerkraut and wurst, but everyone loves German bocks and doppelbocks. Try Auslander and Freidhelms.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/01/15 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Mrs and I love the Hilltop Cafe.

But if you're in Fredericksburg, a German community, you've got to eat German at least once. Some don't like sauerkraut and wurst, but everyone loves German bocks and doppelbocks. Try Auslander and Freidhelms.

Yup, on Freidhelms, Auslander is my second choice.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/03/15 12:15 AM

still searching for a GOOD breakfast place, not much into texmex breafast

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/05/15 03:32 AM

I tell you another place that's good man food is the horse track in the restaurant and bar. Also bet a little bit while eating... May not be everyone's cup of tea but the foods good.
Posted By: Earl

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/07/15 11:02 PM

Darn, I'll have to look up Friedhelms next time I'm down that way...whenever I am I always stopped at Auslanders. Now you guys have me in the mood for schnitzel..
Posted By: CaterpillarMan10

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/12/15 03:40 AM

Cabernet Grill is awesome for steaks, seafood, etc, but it is a high end place. Pasta Bella is good Italian.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: fredericksburg eats - 01/15/15 02:37 AM

Sunset cafe served my wife and I a breakfast that we still talk about. It was delicious and I look forward to my next one. I recommend this place!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum