Texas Hunting Forum

Palo Duro Canyon

Posted By: 10pointers

Palo Duro Canyon - 03/03/13 11:22 AM

Thinking of getting away for a few days and thought about Palo Duro Canyon. Tell me of things to do, see and eat. Best place to stay if possible. Thanks in advance
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/03/13 01:52 PM

When you planning the trip? If you go June thru August, you really should go see the play. http://www.texas-show.com/home.html

And If you book far enough ahead, you can call the park and get a cabin or shelter in the park. Other wise the only decent, close motels are in Canyon. (Best Western or Holiday Inn Express)

Be sure to eat at Feldmens Restaurant in Canyon, and see the Panhandle Plain Historical Museum while you're there. They have a great gun collection!!
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/03/13 04:29 PM

Does Sutphen's still cater the meal at the show? That was good stuff.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/03/13 07:25 PM

2nd that. The museum in Canyon is great. We stay in Amarillo. There is a new Marriott downtown and some nicer hotels west side of town like Drury. Free food and drinks too.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/04/13 07:21 AM

Texan Steakhouse
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/04/13 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Big Texan Steakhouse

Tourist trap. But if you want to see someone try to eat the 72oz steak it can be entertaining.

Go get a chicken fry at Green Chili Willies. And stop in for some BBQ at Fat Boy's in Canyon.
Posted By: panthehandle

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/04/13 05:50 PM

Yeah the Big Texan is a tourist trap, they do have some alright micro-brew there. If you want to try some of the best hamburgers in the world try Coyote Bluff. Go south on Grand off I-40 look back to your east after the Walmart. Its a little hole in the wall place so keep a sharp eye, if you pass the toot n totum you've gone too far.
Posted By: 007hunter

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/04/13 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
When you planning the trip? If you go June thru August, you really should go see the play. http://www.texas-show.com/home.html

x2 on the show...there was actually a major thunderstorm right at show time when we went...the acoustics really made the storm louder than normal...but after a 20-30 minute delay...the show went on...

The food was pretty good also...
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/04/13 06:28 PM

If in Amarillo, Jorge's is great mexican / tex-mex.

I second that the Drury is a nice hotel as well (though it is on the opposite side of Amarillo).
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/05/13 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: panthehandle
Yeah the Big Texan is a tourist trap, they do have some alright micro-brew there. If you want to try some of the best hamburgers in the world try Coyote Bluff. Go south on Grand off I-40 look back to your east after the Walmart. Its a little hole in the wall place so keep a sharp eye, if you pass the toot n totum you've gone too far.

I second the recommendation on Coyote Bluff. When I lived in Amarillo, I ate at this place weekly. Still eat there every time I drive through Amarillo. For good Mexican food, try Tacos Garcia. Avoid the Big Texan. Ate there once, and never went back. Locals avoid it like the plague.
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/05/13 03:33 PM

Cadillac ranch just west of Amarillo if neat to see, don't forget the spray paint. Big Texan is a fun place to see, but the food isn't that great.
Posted By: panthehandle

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/05/13 06:29 PM

Also go to american quarter horse pretty cool place.
Posted By: VigoPark

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/06/13 01:21 AM

All of the above mentions are good eating, and avoiding Big Texan is good advice. Joe Daddy's in Amarillo has all of Sutphen BBQ recipes I believe it what I was told. It is good food anyway. A trip south to Tulia and the El Camino restaurant used to be worthwhile, hadn't ate there in a while though. We always stay with my sister when we are up that way, so I can't help on hotels. American Quarter Horse and the Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyons are both very enjoyable.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/06/13 07:28 PM

Another great museum that is on your route.

Quote:
National Ranching Heritage Center
Texas Tech University
http://www.depts.ttu.edu/ranchhc/
Posted By: aeb

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/08/13 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Texan Steakhouse

Why!!!
Posted By: mw_Dallas

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/09/13 05:12 AM

Opening in April, the Charles Goodnight Historical Center

http://goodnightlegacy.wordpress.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charles-Goodnight-Historical-Center/144312165658561
Posted By: Charles Smith II

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/09/13 01:38 PM

Don't forget the Alibates Flint Quarry and Adobe Walls...when I live there the Walls was on a private ranch, but if you asked, you could get access to it.

Also, you need to go to Cowboy Morning...breakfast from a chuck wagon on the rim of the Canyon.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Palo Duro Canyon - 03/10/13 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: mw_Dallas

Thanks for the links up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum