Texas Hunting Forum

Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights

Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan

Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/01/13 06:01 AM

Anyone ever been to the observatory in Fort Davis?

I am heading to Alpine in a couple of weeks and am wondering if there are any good venues I need to hit while I am out there. I plan to go to the observatory in Fort Davis and look around Alpine quite a bit.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/01/13 06:05 AM

Beautiful country and the history in some of the small towns is very interesting. I hunted the property that borders the observatory, so I didn't get to spend as much time exploring as I would have liked.

Sure some can give some good pointers on places to see, but make sure you take your camera up

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/01/13 06:30 AM

indeed.... do they have mullies out there or whitetails only?
Posted By: aeb

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/01/13 10:49 PM

Railroad Blues in Alpine
http://www.railroadblues.com/
Posted By: Beagledad

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/02/13 02:12 AM

Observtory is great! DO NOT CROSS into Ojinaga, Mexico no how appealing it may look.
soap

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/02/13 07:57 AM

I'll check out Railroad Blues... thanks.... and thanks Beagledad.... I will have the senioritas cross over this way instead with the tequila and cigars
Posted By: conifer

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/03/13 03:07 PM

Check out the Holland Hotel......beautiful lobby, extremely friendly and helpful staff. It's a very attractive town.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/03/13 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan
indeed.... do they have mullies out there or whitetails only?

More Mulies than whitetail. Some Aoudad, hogs and plenty of javelina out there too
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/03/13 03:28 PM

If you go to the observatory to watch the stars, take warm clothes. Gets cold up there.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/03/13 06:29 PM

The observatory is really cool. Sign up for the night time star viewing. They set up a telescope outside. If you plan your trip, try to go when it's during the dark of the moon phase.

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/03/13 10:51 PM

I did go to a star party Friday night at the observatory and im glad I went. The moon was waxing but down below the horizon so it was very dark. There is some great eating out here... That Fort Davis Drug Store has one of the best burgers Ive ever had and their Ribeye was recognized by Texas Monthly as one of the best in West Texas. I love the Mountains out here.... real estate is quite expensive... I did see four Mule Deer does right outside my hotel. I used to hunt Mulies every year up in Channing... Id love to get a place to hunt out here... anyway, it was a good trip out West. Thank y'all for your posts.
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/04/13 03:19 PM

Shoulda went out to the conseratory and drove some trails. Some awesome elk to see in the area.

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/05/13 12:24 AM

I did go to the conservatory... and I drove all over the mountains... saw some Mule Deer.... this morning, I was driving home... on the drive from Alpine to Marathon, I saw a small herd of free range Elk Cows.... it was great.... only Elk I've ever seen in Texas!
Posted By: mjtex

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/13/13 07:57 PM

Don't forget the Fort Davis Calvery post its cool-State park and the observatorty is a must--and there is a scenic drive around the Davis Mountains-----Great Country.
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/13/13 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan
I did go to the conservatory... and I drove all over the mountains... saw some Mule Deer.... this morning, I was driving home... on the drive from Alpine to Marathon, I saw a small herd of free range Elk Cows.... it was great.... only Elk I've ever seen in Texas!

Did you get the brochure? If so, look at the VERY LAST PAGE

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/14/13 05:54 AM

I did not get the brochure... what's on the last page?

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/14/13 05:55 AM

mjTex... I took that drive right before sunset... it was great, man... I would love to live out there
Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/15/13 06:49 PM

if you go back to Ft Davis, if its still there go eat at the old drug store in town great old fashoned greasy burgers and fountain sodas

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/17/13 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps
if you go back to Ft Davis, if its still there go eat at the old drug store in town great old fashoned greasy burgers and fountain sodas

I did eat there and I had one of the best 1/2 lb burgers that Ive had in my life there... it was amazing
Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/18/13 12:25 AM

good deal food
Posted By: Laser123

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/19/13 09:28 PM

If Texas History intrest you then you will really enjoy the Fort Tour. It's self guided but really intresting.

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 02/20/13 12:07 AM

I missed that Laser, Ill have to check that out next time for sure
Posted By: JRayD2

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 03/11/13 08:28 PM

The Reata in Alpine has some of the best food I've ever tasted!!!
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 03/11/13 08:33 PM

I know it's still to cold but the swimming pool at Balmorhea (sp) is REALLY COOL.
And the Indian lodge motel is worth seeing.(nice drive and scenery)
Posted By: Marker 37

Re: Fort Davis Observatory / Alpine / Marfa lights - 03/15/13 02:38 PM

We just returned and all of the above are great suggestions. A few more that I would add are to plan to take the Pinto Canyon road from Marfa(Starts here as Ranch Road 2810) to Ruidoso. This is the road to Chinati Hot Springs. Even if you are not going to the springs, the drive through the Chinati Mountains is spectacular. One note on this, make sure you have a vehicle that can handle the road. It can get rough in spots. Also, if you have time, hit Seminole Canyon on the way back. about 50 miles west of Del Rio off of Highway 90. Great scenery and it is famous for the Petroglyphs on the cliff sides. Well worth the trip. Call ahead to see what time the tours start. Normally only 2 per day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum