Texas Hunting Forum

Good "hole in the walls"

Posted By: BossHawg2012

Good "hole in the walls" - 11/05/12 02:54 PM

I have 3 really good "hole in the wall" restaurants that are a must try if your in or near harris county.

The Shack
Its off of 290 and cypress rosehill.
This hole in the wall is something else its all outdoor eating with a huge outdoor bar has a weird kind of ambiance with oldschool clowns everywhere and a old bathtub to mark the entrance and random objects hanging from trees this place is one of a kind. And their food is even stranger from thick juicy all american burgers topped with cheetos or an egg to asian brisket sandwiches or a burger whose buns are honey buns they have it all.
Place is cash only and very cheap compared to todays standards definitely a must try.

The Ranchito
Just outside of harris county in Waller,TX off 290 and waller-tomball road
This is a small little mexican food joint smack dab in the middle of a harlans parking lot. It has some incredible food for lunch dinner or breakfast. They have some killer menudo and some awesome barbaquoa if you are a fan of mexican food this is a great place to try and very cheap.

Mels country grill and cafe
This little gem is harder to find and you will miss it if your not looking for it
Located in tomball on stanolind rd and huffsmith
this place has it all... chicken fried steak, hamburger steak,catfish. Everything you would come to excpect from an american diner. And the piece de resistance.... the Mega Mel Burger. This sucker is huge 1.5lbs of beef 1lb of bacon and 1/4lb of cheese with lettuce tomatoe and pickles and if you finish it in 2hours you get your name on the wall. Really cheap in price and an all around good restaurant.

Hope this helps some people in finding a good place to chow down. Writing this is making me get wicked hungry! Also what are yalls favorite "hole in the walls" in texas?
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/08/12 03:17 AM

The "Hole in the Wall" for burgers on Harry Hines in Dallas. Club Schmidt down the street.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/10/12 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
The "Hole in the Wall" for burgers on Harry Hines in Dallas. Club Schmidt down the street.

You can probably find a girl friend down there to
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/10/12 05:38 PM

This ain't quite in Texas but it's about as close as you can get.I came across this place during a canoe trip. Its a small grocery store-cafe with a side room with a bunch of mounts on the wall where you might be able to sit down and drink a cold beer. Its called the Silver Dollar Grocery. The owners are Anita and Harold Speed. Real nice folks. They have an all you can eat buffet that is HOME COOKING bubba!! They have a coliseum out back where the locals put on the gloves and have sparring matches every Saturday night. Its in a wide spot in the road called Hendrix Oklahoma, maybe a quarter mile north of the Red River and the Carpenters Bluff bridge. If your ever out for a Sunday drive and want to go someplace neat you should check it out. Try the Chicken strips with white gravy
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/11/12 08:55 PM

Some relatives of my ex owns Club Schmidt. I've heard it's really good.
Posted By: Texsun

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/12/12 12:44 AM

Oles' Tex Mex in Coppell
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/12/12 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Texsun
Oles' Tex Mex in Coppell

Son of a....seriously?

Man I bet I've stopped at that convenience store right next to it no less than 80 times in the last year and thought, " wonder if that place is any good?" Well at least now I know I need to try it.
Posted By: Texsun

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/13/12 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Ox190
Originally Posted By: Texsun
Oles' Tex Mex in Coppell

Son of a....seriously?

Man I bet I've stopped at that convenience store right next to it no less than 80 times in the last year and thought, " wonder if that place is any good?" Well at least now I know I need to try it.

been eating there for 12 years!
Posted By: Ruthless Robbie

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/13/12 10:25 PM

i shall try this sometime soon, thanks
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/16/12 12:11 PM

Never heard of it. Is it really a hole in the wall sort of place?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/17/12 04:12 AM

BossHawg is right. Mel's has a great burger and their onion rings are terrific. No way I can eat the "MelBurger", though I wouldn't mind having my name up on the wall of honor.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/17/12 11:13 AM

Hole-in-the-wall for burgers in Houston, Lankford Grocery on Dennis St, near mid-town.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/17/12 11:15 PM

El Tapatio is a hole in the wall just north of Ricardo, Texas right on U.S. 77 if you happen to be going toward or coming from the lower Rio Grande Valley. Any given day they are open, you'll see enough of a lunch crowd there, including 18 wheelers to almost obscure it from your vision unless you are looking for it. Try their tampiqueno plate (enchilada+a thin grilled steak, rice and beans), but you'll need someone to drive for a while so you can nap!
Posted By: n-all

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/20/12 03:06 AM

hole in the wall on hines is no maas...
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/24/12 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Homer Jay
Never heard of it. Is it really a hole in the wall sort of place?

Yep, a small place with a bar etc. Great burgers and ice cold beer. The name is "Hole in the Wall".
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/25/12 02:51 PM

Coyote Bluff in Amarillo...great food and actually has holes in the wall.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/25/12 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Hole-in-the-wall for burgers in Houston, Lankford Grocery on Dennis St, near mid-town.

Crazy good burgers there
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/26/12 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

You can probably find a girl friend down there to
rofl wife
Posted By: Jimbo302

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/26/12 03:56 AM

Carpenters in Corsicana.

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/26/12 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: n-all
hole in the wall on hines is no maas...

This is true. That place was GOOD!
Posted By: donswin

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/29/12 05:13 AM

Club Schmidt is actually on Webb Chapel Extension and Denton Road. It's just a block off Hines right at the Northwest (Bachman) Transfer Station.

Great burgers and atmosphere. Been going there occasionally since '61 & it wasn't new then.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/29/12 10:10 PM

how about glory holes!! haha

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/29/12 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
how about glory holes!! haha

Ask Jerry Jones
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/29/12 11:22 PM

Woody's in Mineral Wells, the poster child for a hole in the wall place. Cold beer and good burgers make for a nice pit stop on the way to the lease.
Posted By: Wray

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/30/12 04:09 AM

GG's in Marion, right on 78, they used to be Goerkes out in the country. Excellent chicken and catfish.

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 11/30/12 06:37 PM

George's in Waco is a good one.

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 12/14/12 03:15 AM

Amigos on Belt Line Rd in Richardson..west of Plano Rd..FULL bar and Killer Mescan Food..
Posted By: BClineCoke

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 12/15/12 08:48 AM

Mexacali cafe in Dallas on nw Hwy at Jupiter
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 12/23/12 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

That's a good one. Another one is Sam's deli and diner, I-10 at Kirkwood. Great bacon cheeseburger, seasoned fries and hand made shakes with Bluebell Ice Cream. food
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 12/23/12 05:14 AM

Pepe's Patio in Riviera. Awesome enchiladas!
Posted By: BAS

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 12/27/12 09:53 PM

KiKa's in Laredo for menudo and chorizo breakfast tacos.
Posted By: BAS

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 12/27/12 09:56 PM

LuLu's in San Antonio for a breakfast and a 3 pound cinnamon roll. If you are travelling back from someplace west of there, it takes at least four grown men to eat it, if you get anything else.

Thousand Oaks Cafe on the north side for breakfast tacos or mexican food.
Posted By: JerryWS

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/06/13 02:36 PM

Double A in Haskell, the steak fingers are awesome!!!!
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/07/13 09:03 AM

Been going to a tiny place called Parrains in Jonestown NW of Austin. Best canjun food I ever had including in Louisianna. They smoke their own meats and the seafood tastes like they just pulled it out of the water. Cold beer and local music on the weekend. Ain't but 5 or 6 tables in the whole place but man you can hurt yourself there.
Posted By: Joosh89

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/08/13 05:04 PM

Double H in Santa anna. Down by brownwood
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/08/13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Woody's in Mineral Wells, the poster child for a hole in the wall place. Cold beer and good burgers make for a nice pit stop on the way to the lease.

I love going to that place. Haven't been in a while and reading this is going to make me have to drive over there.

Another good one is Doug's Peach Orchard north of Bowie just into Oklahoma. Their fish is great, steak fingers are awesome, and the best calf fries you can order at a diner.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/08/13 07:18 PM

Go Go Gumbo in Boyd; Tater Junction between Boyd and Rhome; Giant Burger in Rhome.
Posted By: Regretzi

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/08/13 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Joosh89

I'll second that. I always get the hunters special, hell their pancakes are foot wide.
Posted By: Texpolo1106

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/08/13 10:42 PM

Fred's in Fort Worth use to be a great hole in the wall. Then Triple D showed up and now it's yuppie central. Sorry, just had to vent.
Posted By: jbates911

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/09/13 02:45 AM

Shep's BBQ in Palestine.
Posted By: Moto382

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/12/13 09:47 AM

Mom's on main in Aubrey the best BLT around!!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/12/13 04:56 PM

The cafe at Hicks Airfield has great food. They make a BLT named The Chuck Norris that has a half pound of Wrights bacon.

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/13/13 01:59 PM

Just was introduced to a new one not necessarily a hole in the wall but pretty good home country cooking . Johnny rebels cafe in hearne.
Posted By: toolman

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/13/13 05:41 PM

The Dixie Pig here in Abilene makes a mean breakfast.

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/24/13 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Texpolo1106
Fred's in Fort Worth use to be a great hole in the wall. Then Triple D showed up and now it's yuppie central. Sorry, just had to vent.

Fred's Cafe has the best burger I've ever had at a restaurant. Taco fries are awesome too!
Posted By: 36 South

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/24/13 06:59 PM

Weezy's - at the red light on HWY 82 in Blossom, TX.
Posted By: GristleHead

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/24/13 10:20 PM

Amen. It's sad but that show has ruined four of my favorite dives.
Posted By: FtWorthBobWillsFan

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/25/13 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo
[quote=dawaba]Woody's in Mineral Wells, the poster child for a hole in the wall place. Cold beer and good burgers make for a nice pit stop on the way to the lease.

I also have been to and really like Go Go Gumbo mentioned above.

others -

R&K Cafe in Weatherford... great chicken fried steak

Malt Shop in Weatherford - Burgers and Malts
Posted By: Texpolo1106

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/25/13 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringer1
Originally Posted By: Texpolo1106

Fred's Cafe has the best burger I've ever had at a restaurant. Taco fries are awesome too!

You're right the burger is awesome. It was also awesome well before it became a "trendy" place to go. I just miss the old Fred's that's all.

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/25/13 08:32 PM

I haven't been to Fred's in years but I used to love it about 6 or so years ago
Posted By: Xman

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/27/13 12:58 AM

There is a place out side of Fredricksburg that is that absolute best for burgers. I don't remember the name of it, but it is out of town several miles. My wife and I stopped in there last year when we were traveling in the area. It was out by a state park.

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/27/13 01:28 AM

is it East of Frederickburg?
Posted By: Xman

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 01/27/13 03:26 AM

Yes, it is out by the bat caves.
Posted By: krhoads

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 02/25/13 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: roadtrip
This ain't quite in Texas but it's about as close as you can get.I came across this place during a canoe trip. Its a small grocery store-cafe with a side room with a bunch of mounts on the wall where you might be able to sit down and drink a cold beer. Its called the Silver Dollar Grocery. The owners are Anita and Harold Speed. Real nice folks. They have an all you can eat buffet that is HOME COOKING bubba!! They have a coliseum out back where the locals put on the gloves and have sparring matches every Saturday night. Its in a wide spot in the road called Hendrix Oklahoma, maybe a quarter mile north of the Red River and the Carpenters Bluff bridge. If your ever out for a Sunday drive and want to go someplace neat you should check it out. Try the Chicken strips with white gravy
I can vouch for this. Speed's is what most locals call it (that is where I grew up). He also used to make some pretty damned good fishing lures he sold in his shop as well. Reading this post brought back some good childhood memories.
Posted By: Theboyandi

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 02/25/13 08:22 PM

I may move to San Antonio so I can eat here more often.

Link to The Cove

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 02/26/13 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Xman
There is a place out side of Fredricksburg that is that absolute best for burgers. I don't remember the name of it, but it is out of town several miles. My wife and I stopped in there last year when we were traveling in the area. It was out by a state park.

Alamo Springs is South of there and it's supposed to be excellent.... saw it on a TV show this weekend...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alamo-Springs-Cafe/120990493518
Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 02/26/13 08:17 PM

+1 OUTSTANDING Cheeseburger and I love the glasses they have for your cold beer. Not to mention a shuffle board table.

Woody's is AWESOME!!

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 02/27/13 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Yassir Sanchez

+1 OUTSTANDING Cheeseburger and I love the glasses they have for your cold beer. Not to mention a shuffle board table.

Woody's is AWESOME!!

Years ago, I took over a sales territory that included Mineral Wells.... the guy that had it before me was upset about losing it, mainly because he wouldn't get to eat at Woody's so often anymore.
Posted By: smithwr

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 02/28/13 06:27 PM

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Marys in strawn. I think their chicken fry is overated but better calf fries you will not find. If you want a chicken fry go to Jake and Dorthys in Stephenville.
Posted By: Theboyandi

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/04/13 01:34 AM

Twisted Root Burgers in Roanoke. I visited for lunch after playing around in the pits at a dirt race over at Texas Motor Speedway. Awesome burgers and fries, they also offer a good selection of beers and adult milk shakes for a family friendly place. Try the Western burger with chipotle sauce.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/04/13 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: donswin
Club Schmidt is actually on Webb Chapel Extension and Denton Road. It's just a block off Hines right at the Northwest (Bachman) Transfer Station.

Great burgers and atmosphere. Been going there occasionally since '61 & it wasn't new then.

Haven't been there in years, but they do have great burgers!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/04/13 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Eagle 1
Coyote Bluff in Amarillo...great food and actually has holes in the wall.

Lived in Amarillo for three years and went to this place at least once a week. Great atmosphere and you will be hard pressed to find a better burger in the state of Texas.
Posted By: Rockwall17

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/10/13 05:09 PM

Boots burger in Rockwall
Posted By: Lever Action Jackson

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/11/13 02:04 AM

It's called Alamo springs.
Posted By: Brodiecrowr

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/11/13 03:15 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the shack. I'm going this weekend. If in Waco try Viteks gutpak or kitoks kimchi burger.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/11/13 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Joosh89
NOT Bad.
Posted By: Central Texas Hog Traps

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/11/13 04:49 PM

it does look like a dive, the wife and i tried it. It has really good greasy burgers and super cold beer. will definantly go back
Originally Posted By: Ruthless Robbie

i shall try this sometime soon, thanks
Posted By: smh264

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/18/13 04:10 PM

Never eat a type of hamburger that you can't even pronounce. That kimchi burger may need to be eaten with your little finger held out in fashion.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/18/13 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringer1
George's in Waco is a good one.

George's has some pretty darn good grub and Big O's. Cupp's is a great burger joint, right off I-35 behind Burger King. There's also V-Tek's bbq, get the gut-pack! There's also Dave's Burgers, exit I-35 at TSTC, go left under the Interstate and straight, almost all the way to business 77/Old Dallas Highway. Great burgers. Anyone know if Kitok's in Waco is still open? I heard they closed but then opened again. They had a great burger, the Lip Locker, and I loved their Oriental fries.
Posted By: FRA

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/24/13 04:57 PM

Leroy's in Willis, get the chicken fried steak or BBQ tater
Burger Fresh in Montgomery
Angie's in Ft. Hancock, try the Mexican food, and follow up with ice cream
Springhill Restaurant in Pflugerville
Cooper's BBQ in Mason (not to be confused with Cooper's in Llano, which I have found to be neither good nor a hole in the wall)
Live Oak BBQ in Austin
Kings Inn Restaurant on Baffin Bay
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 03/29/13 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BClineCoke

Funny, wouldnt think anyone on here would know that place.

I have been eating there since it was in Casa View shopping center and had like 5 tables. Was kind of a rite of passage for boys from our neighborhood to work for Josh. He was dating one of my best friends mom and we would always walk up there and eat for free......

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 08/17/14 05:48 PM

Just a bump from the grave. been hunting out in Stonewall and stopped to eat at the buffalo nickel in fredericksburg. gotta say ways pretty durn good!

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 08/18/14 11:05 PM

Bill Smiths..McKinney
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 08/18/14 11:44 PM

Tyler's Pounds Field Airport, in the old terminal on the east side of the runways, there's a pretty cool café serving good burgers and iced tea. The name of the place escapes me, but the 50s/60s décor and big windows viewing the runways makes the place a favorite for Karen and I to take visiting out-of-towners.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 08/19/14 01:38 AM

San Antonio
Chris Madrid's
Get the TOSTADA BEAN BURGER, get the macho size, add japs if you like. Fries are excellent too.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 08/19/14 02:42 AM

"Another Hole in the Wall", New Castle, Tx.

I will be stopping in there in a couple of weeks on my way to Haskell to dove hunt.
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 08/19/14 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Chopped54
Originally Posted By: BClineCoke

Funny, wouldnt think anyone on here would know that place.

I have been eating there since it was in Casa View shopping center and had like 5 tables. Was kind of a rite of passage for boys from our neighborhood to work for Josh. He was dating one of my best friends mom and we would always walk up there and eat for free......

This place is great....
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 08/21/14 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Cast
Go Go Gumbo in Boyd; Tater Junction between Boyd and Rhome; Giant Burger in Rhome.

Did Tater Junction ever clean up any?

Y'all know I'm all about Giant Burger and Go Go. They are legit for burgers then real Cajun food.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 08/21/14 06:20 PM

The Rocket Cafe in Robinson (teeny bit south of Waco in Hwy 77) has a darn good burger and the BEST onion rings that I know of. All hand cut.

Used to be that I was on a search for the best onion rings in Texas. For years the best were at Grumpy's in Flatonia, but they closed. These days I give the title of best to the Rocket Cafe.
Posted By: bigbroke12

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 09/02/14 01:13 AM

my vote for mexican food in Austin would be Habanero on Oltorff.... get there early....your wait will be 45-an hr after 11 am.
think they only do dinner on fri and sat.
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 09/02/14 12:23 PM

I vote for West Side Cafe here in fort worth. it's nothing to look at, but great food.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 09/02/14 02:27 PM

I can say that Kitok's in Waco is open, alive, and well. Had a double lip-locker with cheese, oriental fries, and sweet tea for lunch Friday. Was awesome...needed a nap in a big way after that.
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 09/07/14 06:28 PM

Try the burgers at the Bancroft Pecan place on highway 31 in Powell. Darn good burger and they keep "hang down and rat cheese" in the lunch meat counter...has been a few years since I was thru there but has always been good...try some moonshine syrup while you're at it...

rick
Posted By: twospeed29

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 09/17/14 03:24 PM

Morris neals in downtown cleburne, the BEST burger ive ever had. Little tiny place, most peoples living rooms are bigger but oh my gosh they can cook a dang burger
farmer
Posted By: WEBBYODER

Re: Good "hole in the walls" - 09/19/14 02:06 AM

I can't believe that no one has brought up Off Site Kitchen. On the corner of Wycliffe and Irving blvd.
awesome burgers!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum