Texas Hunting Forum

Where to find training birds?

Posted By: steventtu

Where to find training birds? - 05/03/22 05:27 PM

I'm currently in the middle of training my first gun dog (6-month-old English Cocker) and was curious where I could find birds for training purposes around North Texas. I'm beginning to introduce light gunfire, but he's not always that excited to retrieve a bumper. I was hoping live birds would get him excited/distracted enough to start introducing the .22. Any leads?
Posted By: kindall

Re: Where to find training birds? - 05/03/22 08:30 PM

Pigeons have been getting harder to come by, and people charging more for them. Most suppliers will start having quail in September.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Where to find training birds? - 05/03/22 11:06 PM

I had a GSP that pretty much refused to retrieve anything without feathers.
Posted By: Mr. Jeem

Re: Where to find training birds? - 05/09/22 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I had a GSP that pretty much refused to retrieve anything without feathers.

I had a Brittany that was the same way. It's like he couldn't be bothered if it wasn't a bird.
Posted By: PowerSurgeGunDog

Re: Where to find training birds? - 05/19/22 12:38 AM

Don’t know exactly where you’re located but I’ve always gone to the dog Monday part of First Monday Trade days in canton to get domestic pigeons. Another good trick to keep them entertained is to take the wings off of duck/dove you shoot and tape them on each end with the majority of feather exposed to dog’s mouth in the middle of your bumper. Don’t even have to freeze them, they’ll dry up and keep their scent. This may not solve your problem as dove and duck season seems a lifetime away this time of year. Just keep in mind when season comes around it’s illegal to keep a full harvested duck or dove (wild) frozen to train a dog with. Federal and state laws require you to at least get the breast/eatable portion of meat out. If your dogs develops a hard mouth with the introduction of real feather and scent take smooth wire not stranded, not insulated, not to small (pinch between your thumb and index finger if it feels like it’s going to cut you it’s to small) and generously wrap the bird or feather taped to bumper. They’ll keep their interest but quit biting down when they get excited.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Where to find training birds? - 05/20/22 03:19 AM

PVC pipe extension and a big dip net can net you quite a few under a bridge. You just have to find the right bridge.
Posted By: Tkb26

Re: Where to find training birds? - 09/11/22 01:41 AM

Catchemallpigeons. 682-622-1917. I got some from him last week he had plenty
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Where to find training birds? - 09/11/22 02:50 AM

I have homing pigeons, launcher and my expertise for young dogs getting steady.

I will have quail next Saturday the 17th. And you can become a member and use my taining field.

Order now, If you want a box of 25 quail at $7.25 each and able to pickup at my place on Fruiday the 16th or Satyurdayb the 17th
Posted By: kindall

Re: Where to find training birds? - 09/12/22 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tkb26
Catchemallpigeons. 682-622-1917. I got some from him last week he had plenty

Is he still charging $10 per bird?
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Where to find training birds? - 09/13/22 01:09 AM

Triple L quail is just south of Waxahachie. He was a client of mine and had tons of quail and maybe some pheasant.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum