Texas Hunting Forum

Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease

Posted By: slow944

Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/13/21 03:38 AM

My 5.5 yr old Black Lab is loosing her battle with Kidney Disease. She has gone from 70lbs. down to 53 lbs. She's still happy as a Lark because she doesn't know she's sick. Poppy is the first dog that we brought into the house, all the others have been yard dogs. I've got her on the KD canned dog food and yesterday the Vet said her kidney function had improved a little, but what does that mean? My Vet said we need to prepare to let her go when she stops eating and so far she still has a good appetite. We were thinking she would be our last dog, but then my buddy Kevin AKA CCBirddogman gave the 10 yr old Brittany that I traded a pistol for in 2010 back to me. Thanks Kevin. Max is a great dog and loves being around Poppy. You think when you first get them that they're just another dog you have, but I tell ya this is ripping my heart out. All dogs go to heaven right? Hope everyone will say a prayer for Sally and I and Poppy.

Jerry

Poppy’s first time on pheasants. She retrieved 32 birds down at Pecan Ridge in Scurry.

Description: Poppy on Pheasants
Attached picture 5551CE61-7CD1-4EF6-8D76-8417AF9E529E.jpeg
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/13/21 12:44 PM

All I can say is that I hurt along with you.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/13/21 12:49 PM

Awe man , I’m so sorry
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/13/21 12:57 PM

I feel your pain, I just went through a loss of my dog of a lifetime. It flat out sucks. Just remember the good times.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/13/21 01:05 PM

Very sorry to hear. We are going to spread our lab's ashes in front of the ranch house here in a few minutes. In labs, I believe God has allowed man to breed a dog that is 100% about love and serving. They will kill themselves to please you and want to be with you every second you're alive. And that makes it that much harder to say goodbye. Hang in there .
Posted By: kindall

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/13/21 07:20 PM

I’m so sorry.
It’s the worst part of owning dogs, and sometimes makes us question why we keep doing it.
I had to let my senior vizsla go last May. She was still eating/drinking, and was happy some of the time.
She had lymphoma, and it was only going to get worse for her. When she started showing a few signs the cancer affecting her daily life, we let her go. Not letting her be in pain, was the kindest thing I could for her.
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/13/21 07:47 PM

Right there with ya' man. It's hard to take!!
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/14/21 01:37 AM

So sorry man. Its never easy, especially when they're young. And if they lived to be 30, it would still be to little time.

Prayers for comfort in the coming days.

Doc.
Posted By: Z-man65

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/14/21 01:51 AM

Prayer sent and asking for prayers as my Maggie (7 yr old lab) is one year into what I was told would be no more than 1 to 1 1/2 years to live with her cancer. She hasn’t slowed down a step yet but I know it’s coming and it’s killing me.

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/14/21 04:09 AM

You all have my prayers and gratitude. THF has the best family of friends on the planet. All we can do is love them with all our hearts and not let them suffer. Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

Jerry
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/14/21 09:42 AM

Sorry bud. Prayers up.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/14/21 12:18 PM

Condolences sir! A puppy won’t replace your Poppy but it will help.
Posted By: cabinetman

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/15/21 02:09 AM

Prayers for Poppy!I know it’s tough been there done that! If you need someone to go hunting with give me a shout! I’ve got a 14 month old black female

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/15/21 04:17 AM

Thanks for the offer Cabinetman.. I may take you up on that..
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/15/21 11:49 AM

They give their all for us…
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/15/21 02:42 PM

Prayers for your pup.
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 09/29/21 08:56 PM

I am sorry for your loss...
Posted By: Txblklab

Re: Loosing My Poppy Girl To Kidney Disease - 10/01/21 01:33 AM

My heart is heavy. A mans' true best friend. Prayers sent!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum