Texas Hunting Forum

Feral Pigeons

Posted By: Dawson Odom

Feral Pigeons - 06/27/21 06:12 PM

Hello,

I am in the college station area and cannot seem to find any feral pigeons to buy or trap. I have homers but want some pigeons I can shoot. If anyone knows of where I can get some, that would be great. Thanks!
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Feral Pigeons - 06/27/21 08:48 PM

You can catch them with a dipnet under the overpasses age night.
Posted By: Dawson Odom

Re: Feral Pigeons - 06/28/21 03:09 PM

Is this illegal? Any overpasses you recommend in particular?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Feral Pigeons - 06/28/21 04:03 PM

Watch out for homeless people under the bridges!
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Feral Pigeons - 07/03/21 04:50 PM

I would check on the law. I vaguly remember hearing it was illegal in Houston city.
Posted By: Lalo

Re: Feral Pigeons - 07/03/21 07:00 PM

I posted before that a constable in Houston arrested two men for catching pigeons in downtown Houston, not that it was illegal. The constable in this case seemed to not understand the law. But that is the hazard. Police don't know the law.
My general understanding is that pigeons are not native; they are feral. Not protected by game laws, though maybe some big city prosecutor could try to take an animal cruelty prosecution.
One frustration is that pest-control services catch pigeons all the time, but they cannot sell them to us. A couple of them have told me they would lose their license. If you can find a pest guy who will sell you pigeons under the table, that would be the ticket.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Feral Pigeons - 07/03/21 10:01 PM

What do the pest control guys do with them? Maybe they would give them away.
Posted By: Lalo

Re: Feral Pigeons - 07/04/21 06:51 PM

I can only guess that they send them to euthanized birdie heaven in a way that is not seen as cruel like what hunters do. Ridiculous, but that is the world we live in.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Feral Pigeons - 07/07/21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by shooterwalter
I would check on the law. I vaguly remember hearing it was illegal in Houston city.

X2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum