Texas Hunting Forum

Dewclaws

Posted By: Huskerron

Dewclaws - 05/17/21 02:21 AM

Ran into something I’ve never run into before and I know there are longtime gundog owners on here that have an opinion. That Vizsla pup I posted picture of earlier still has one of his front dewclaws and part of the other front one. So unusual that this happened I didn’t even notice it until he’d been here about a week. At first I thought I’d just had them removed while he is out being neutered but the more I read on the Internet and talking to two different vets, I’m thinking of just leaving them. Both vets said they’d leave them but it’s my call. Any of you have any thoughts on this. He won’t be hunted hard. Maybe 5-10 days a year. He is extremely intelligent and biddable and I want to stick with him.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dewclaws - 05/17/21 11:32 AM

Depends on if I wanted to boot them often.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Dewclaws - 05/17/21 12:18 PM

Leave them on, no question at this age.

Just keep them trimmed.

My next litter of Labradors will probably have them left on.

Re: Dewclaws - 05/17/21 12:49 PM

I probably won’t boot them often up here but that makes sense, Bill. We do have sand burrs if I hunt west or south though.

Thanks, Brady. After talking with the two vets, leaving them on is the way I was leaning. I had asked them because I figured if you were going to do it, it would be best done at same time as neutering. At my age, I have no interest in breeding this pup. He’s primarily a companion that will be hunted a few times a year. Backyard fence is only 4 feet high and I figured neutering might head off some fence jumping should a neighbors female come into season.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Dewclaws - 05/17/21 03:58 PM

I leave them on these days.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: Dewclaws - 05/17/21 05:13 PM

I hate dewclaws. I have had them with and without them. My new pup has them. I may get them removed, but it is a big deal now that she isn't newborn.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Dewclaws - 05/18/21 01:26 AM

I am with you stink...

We’ve had them robbed as the dog was older because they were going in to get neutered so they did them both. No regrets.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Dewclaws - 05/18/21 01:47 AM

Cut them off.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Dewclaws - 05/18/21 01:59 AM

Leave them, they don't hurt anything. Forrest
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Dewclaws - 05/19/21 03:36 PM

They really need to be removed within the first week of life if they're going to be removed - otherwise it's an extremely painful procedure and not really worth it unless they're creating a problem.

Some dogs do just fine with them - other dogs have lots of problems. One of mine has his and they aren't an issue - we keep them trimmed short (for whatever reason his don't have a quick). My buddy's lab has his and it's a constant issue of him getting hurt.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Dewclaws - 05/20/21 11:21 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gordonsetterexpert.org/2016/02/11/dewclaws-should-we-remove-them/amp/
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Dewclaws - 05/20/21 01:06 PM

My oldest pointer had one that was missed when trimmed after birth. Had it removed after 16 weeks, it was the soonest the vet would put her under for the procedure.

Re: Dewclaws - 05/20/21 02:44 PM

Thanks folks. Looks like everywhere I looked, opinions were split about 50/50. My current position is that I will leave them. I have a couple of months to think about it before I am going to neuter him so I’ll still be thinking about it. Thanks again your posts were quite helpful.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Dewclaws - 05/21/21 07:05 PM

When we had greyhounds, when they were just born, we just clipped them off, no vet. No big deal. Those dogs, because they ran so fast, would tear them if left on.

Re: Dewclaws - 08/20/21 01:22 PM

Update. Had the pup neutered this week. Because one of the dewclaws stuck straight out, I decided I should have the dewclaws removed while he was under. 4 days in. Neuter went fine but dewclaws has been problematic. Dog wants to work out a way to get around the cone and chew on bandages. Back to get to re-wrap twice. First cone too small so had to go back for bigger cone. Have to watch him constantly to mak sure he doesn’t figure out a new way to get at bandages. In the long run, I’m sure it was right decision but if I had to do it over, I’m not sure I would. Simple process if done right by person with necessary skills. Pretty intense procedure if it doesn’t get done at birth.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Dewclaws - 08/22/21 09:57 PM

I’ve never owned a vizsla that had declaws.
The breeders always removed them the first few days, after being born.
Did your breeder say why they left them on?

Re: Dewclaws - 08/23/21 09:15 PM

I’m like you. I was asleep at the switch when I picked him up and didnt notice until I got him home. I called the breeder and all he could say was “it was during one of our February blizzards and he must’ve missed them in the storm and confusion”. Vet bill should’ve been on him as they were advertised as dewclaws removed and shots current. Not worth pursuing, however. The real issue isn’t the money. It’s the unnecessary pain and suffering the pup has gone through. Oh well training has gone well and he gets staples taken out on 8/31.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Dewclaws - 08/24/21 03:37 AM

I agree with you.
I only asked because your pups tail is docked. Most people do the tails, and declaws at the same time.
Posted By: Double AC

Re: Dewclaws - 08/24/21 05:31 AM

I’ve never run into an issue with them and my dog has six dewclaws!

Re: Dewclaws - 08/24/21 10:35 AM

I was going to leave them but one of them stuck straight out and was rigid. The other was normal. I was afraid the rigid one would catch on things. Talking to two vets and internet research, people appear to be split about 50/50 on this.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Dewclaws - 08/30/21 05:33 PM

I did them at 3 day's, breeds that have their tails bobed, we would do both at 3day, easy job, snip, dab of super glue, keep mom away till glue is dry.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Dewclaws - 08/30/21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
I did them at 3 day's, breeds that have their tails bobed, we would do both at 3day, easy job, snip, dab of super glue, keep mom away till glue is dry.

And little children as well as begging at the table.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum