Texas Hunting Forum

Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO

Posted By: LarryCopper

Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/03/21 03:28 PM

I could use a favor. Does anyone in the DFW area have one? I have one that is only two years old and the range has gone down from 3/4 mile to 5 feet. I've made sure both the handheld and collar are both charged up... a couple of times. I'd like to tell which one is hosed up. I'm assuming the handheld is the problem but want to make sure.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/140332

[Linked Image]

I appreciate it!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/03/21 03:58 PM

You probably just need to change the batteries in both units. My son had the same issue with his.

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/03/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
You probably just need to change the batteries in both units. My son had the same issue with his.

Thanks, I'll check it out. My old collar never took new batteries and lasted 10 years. Of course the handheld took regular AA batteries so it was replaced often.

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/03/21 04:14 PM

Eventually the rechargeable batteries get to where they won’t take charge anymore. Gun dog supply carries the replacement batteries.

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/03/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Eventually the rechargeable batteries get to where they won’t take charge anymore. Gun dog supply carries the replacement batteries.

up
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/04/21 10:55 PM

I have the same garmin with 2 collars. The battery in the collars crapped out after 2 seasons. Transmitter is still going strong after 4 years.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/09/21 07:03 PM

I have the same one with 3 collars, 2 of the collars and the remote are 2 years old and the 3rd collar is only 5 months old. All have been flawless. I bet you are having a battery issue though.

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/10/21 04:06 PM

I ordered two new batteries. Got them installed and charged yesterday, but I still have the same problem. I tried repairing the collar and transmitter, too. Still no luck.

Garmin's support:

Majorly Reduced Range; Getting only Several Feet/Yards and then Stops Working

- If your system works within a few feet (maybe 15 feet or less), but then stops working abruptly, it is very likely that some sort of physical damage or heavy impact has occurred to either the handheld or the collar and it has failed. If it has malfunctioned in this way, the dog device or the handheld or the system may need to be replaced.
- If no physical damage occurred that caused the issue, it could be other internal device issues or failure. Either the handheld or the dog device or the system may need to be replaced.

To help identify which of the two devices has malfunctioned, pair the handheld to another collar, and/or pair the collar to another handheld.
- If you do not have extra devices, a friend or family member that has this equipment, can help. Ask them to cross pair one of their compatible devices to help diagnose the issue.
- If you do not have other equipment to test with, contact Garmin Product Support for information and guidance on replacing the individual devices or entire system. Please have serial numbers available when you contact Garmin Product Support.

I suppose I'm back to square one. Is there anyone in DFW that has one that I can use for testing?

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/10/21 05:22 PM

Bummer
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/23/21 03:35 PM

i have the garmin pro 550. not sure if that would be any help to you to try or not,

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/24/21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by wburke2010
i have the garmin pro 550. not sure if that would be any help to you to try or not,

I appreciate ya, but I finally got it resolved. It turns out it was the collar.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Garmin (Tri-Tronics) Sport PRO - 02/24/21 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Originally Posted by wburke2010

I appreciate ya, but I finally got it resolved. It turns out it was the collar.

Miracles still. Happen. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum