Texas Hunting Forum

Embrace Medical Insurance

Posted By: nak

Embrace Medical Insurance - 01/15/21 04:39 PM

After a GSP that broke a knee a few years ago, plus constant worry about a dog getting snake bit, I decided to get insurance on my Brittany.
After some research and talking to some friends, I went with Embrace. It's started out at $24/month and has increase to a little over $30/month at 4 years old.

He has had a couple of trips to the vet for staples and stiches, but nothing high enough to meet the $350/ year deductible...until the day before we were supposed to leave for a Kansas hunt.

My wife though that Christmas tree ornaments that looked like half-size dove and partridge would be cute. The dove had outstretched wings, with very life-like feathers (maybe real) . You can guess where this is going.

He acquired and ate one of the dove. The wing feathers were affixed to the body by dozens of 1 3/4" - 2 1/2" stiff wires, about the size of a sewing needles. Not something you want going through and not something you want to induce vomiting to get back out...so off to the emergency vet we go.

Including the follow-up, the total was about $3300 to pull the wires out with an endoscope. The insurance claim processed without issue (less than two weeks after I filed it) and Embrace paid $2280 (80% after the deductible) .

Bird dogs will be bird dogs....but the wife is still getting partial blame for us missing our Kansas hunt.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 01/15/21 07:30 PM

Bummer, glad it all worked out.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 02/06/21 04:01 PM

After some rather expensive vet bills with my past dogs, I took out insurance on my last one.
Good thing I did. They have paid out around $4000 in the last 2 1/2 years.
Posted By: huntsetter1

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 02/16/21 11:03 AM

Best money I’ve ever spent!
Posted By: WatersFowler

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 02/16/21 04:39 PM

I use Petplan (not trying to sell anyone) and have had similar results. I always thought I'd rather pay $30-40 / month to make sure I didn't have an emergency that put me in the poor house or made me have to decide on whether to put a dog down. Several years ago our lab ate a sock that had another sock stuffed inside. Same story but it was on a weekend and we had to go to the emergency Vet in Plano, TX. That surgery combined with some needed plasma infusion to keep him alive rang a total of $6400. After I submitted the bill to Petplan they sent me a check for $5,000. A few years later he got ahold of a pool noodle (I don't even own a pool) and shredded it. Since 18" of his intestines had already been removed, the Vet couldn't remove any more and he died on the table. One of the saddest days of my life. Good news was that Petplan stepped up and sent me a check for $1000 for the death benefit that I put towards my current lab.

I know there are many reputable pet insurance plans out there. If you don't have one, find one because these animals can get expensive really fast. Glad your story was a good one!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 02/16/21 09:53 PM

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 03/06/21 03:16 PM

Our childhood dog once ate a treble hook with stink bait on it. The monofilament on the hook kept it pointed in the correct position for the complete trip through the digestive tract. No surgery required.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 03/07/21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by leswad
Our childhood dog once ate a treble hook with stink bait on it. The monofilament on the hook kept it pointed in the correct position for the complete trip through the digestive tract. No surgery required.

Wow - that sounds horrible
Posted By: huntsetter1

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 03/10/21 11:46 AM

I have healthy paws insurance and it’s more than paid for itself with my current dog. It took three trips to the 24 hour vet and a holiday visit before I realized this dog would need insurance.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 03/11/21 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Originally Posted by leswad

Wow - that sounds horrible

I had a dog get a treble hook stuck in his mouth, 2 in the top and one in the bottom. He sat there like a good boy while I pulled them out. A dogs lip stretches a long way. Slow pull is a no go. You have to pull out with pliers like your starting a lawn mower.
Posted By: brassattack

Re: Embrace Medical Insurance - 03/23/21 06:51 AM

Will have to look into this, 4 month old golden that wants to be a squirrel dog.Who's a good boy, Beau is.
!!0
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum