Texas Hunting Forum

Temp and dog box

Posted By: Wburke2010

Temp and dog box - 12/09/20 11:23 PM

So I found a great deal on an Owens two hole dog box. Doors were trash and the box was a little rough. So I had some new doors made and fixed the box up. I have a temp sensor inside that will Bluetooth to my phone so I know how the dogs are doing but I’m trying to decide what to set the alarm to as what’s too hot and too cold.

I’m gonna see how things go and decide if I want to add insulation inside the box and add interior walls. I know for sure before next summer I am going to add an electric fan to help keep the box cool.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/09/20 11:38 PM

I only used bedding in the floor in the winter. You might new more while moving. You definably need all the ventilation you can get in the summer.

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/10/20 02:02 AM

For the summer I’ll have plenty of ventilation with the fans running.

I’m just wondering at what temps for high and low I should set the alarms
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/10/20 03:57 AM

you will be surprised at how much heat 2 dogs generate. I worry about the heat, not the cold. Especially when training in the summertime and putting them in the box, or running down the highways when its over 95. Insulation will always help. Set the alarms at the temps in which you are uncomfortable your dogs being in, it would be different from person to person.

Robby
Posted By: kindall

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/10/20 03:35 PM

Do you mind sharing the link to the temp sensor?
Posted By: Eagle 1

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/10/20 08:41 PM

I would say 80 up would begin to be uncomfortable in a dog box. Do we have a vet on the forum...maybe they could give you a better idea. My box is insulated. In early dove season or a warm quail hunt, I'll buy bags of ice and throw in the top.

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/11/20 07:29 PM

Link to temp sensor
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/12/20 06:44 PM

I ordered one of these sensors and just got it. Pretty neat, but I think my pointers would eat it. They have already chewed up the nylaboard insulation in the kennel slots. I may use it for rv fridge temps.

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/12/20 07:06 PM

I’ve had it in my home fridge for 30 minutes, it just now stabilized at 40.1°. So it’s not an instant thermometer.

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/12/20 07:21 PM

Edit, temp still dropping 50 minutes in. Now 38.4°.
Posted By: kindall

Re: Temp and dog box - 12/13/20 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by wburke2010

Thank you
It's supposed to be delivered on Sunday.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum