Texas Hunting Forum

Introducing Pup to Ducks

Posted By: buckmaster07

Introducing Pup to Ducks - 11/14/20 10:55 PM

So i tried to introduce my 10 week old Boykin pup to some ducks I shout for the opener today and he was less than enthused frown He kinda sniffed and then barked at them but i might as well could just forget retrieving (even though he loves retrieving his dummy dove). I started teasing him a little bit and that at least got him interested but wouldn’t even think about picking it up and carrying it around.

Overall, really disappointed. Any advice for my next time i come home with birds after a hunt?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Introducing Pup to Ducks - 11/14/20 11:03 PM

If he’s that small cut it’s head off or a wing and let him play with that. A whole duck might be too much for him.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Introducing Pup to Ducks - 11/15/20 02:40 AM

I wouldn't worry about it at all. He's just a baby.

Like scalebuster said, just clip off a wing and use that.

I don't even worry about them retrieving until they are 6-7 months old as long as they'll chase after it.

Learning to hold and deliver to hand will all come in time.

From now until he's at least 7-8 months old should be focused on positive experiences in different types of environments, lots of walks through the woods and socializing.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Introducing Pup to Ducks - 11/15/20 03:34 PM

Ten week is too young to worry about it. Give him an old duck wing and walk away.

Re: Introducing Pup to Ducks - 11/16/20 03:49 AM

Gave him the duck wing and he quickly started retrieving it like a bumper. Glad to see the progress. Although now he’s hesitant to retrieve his dummy dive that we’ve been using as a bumper, ha ha! Guess i May need to load up on birds this year!

Any advice on blind retrieved and getting him to use his nose?
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Introducing Pup to Ducks - 11/16/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by buckmaster07
Gave him the duck wing and he quickly started retrieving it like a bumper. Glad to see the progress. Although now he’s hesitant to retrieve his dummy dive that we’ve been using as a bumper, ha ha! Guess i May need to load up on birds this year!

Any advice on blind retrieved and getting him to use his nose?

As long as he likes birds you shouldn't have to worry much about using birds for a while. You want to make sure that he doesn't get into a habit of trying to eat them as some young dogs might be inclined to do.

You've got a while before you need to start thinking about blind retrieves.

As stated, just focus on giving the pup lots positive experiences in the outdoors and with people.

Teach him how to behave in the house and basic obedience, crate training, etc.

When he's got all his adult teeth at probably 7-8 months old, start teaching him more formal obedience and "hold".

Dogs don't typically just start running blind retrieves confidently. You really should follow a training progression that typically starts with formal obedience, force fetch, collar conditioning, simple casting, pile work, TT, swim by, pattern blinds.

If you had a lab I would suggest following a number of proven training progressions that will teach your dog to to confidently run blind retrieves.

While you can use the same progression, Boykins take some patience and more creative techniques at times. There are a few good trainers that specialize in Boykins out there you might see about contacting for advice.

Contact Huck118 on here for some advice.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Introducing Pup to Ducks - 11/19/20 03:49 PM

Good responses here, would love to hear some more about him as he grows

Re: Introducing Pup to Ducks - 11/22/20 07:08 PM

Ha, what a difference a week makes. Brought home another duck from a hunt and he couldn’t get enough of it! Small gadwall but ended making several short retrieves and didn’t want to part with it. I’ve just let him enjoy and haven’t been trying to hold him back from getting too mouthy. Is that ok or am I at risk of teaching him some bad habits/hard mouth? Given his prior lack of interest, I’m being super lenient just because i want him to love them.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum