Texas Hunting Forum

Horseback riding for upland

Posted By: MS1454

Horseback riding for upland - 06/03/20 06:05 PM

Anyone have horses they use for upland? Is it just for fancy field trialers? Been thinking about getting a horse and to have it for upland hunting. Seems like it would be a lot easier than walking around. Best breed seems to be a Tennessee walker. I dont FT but think it would be nice to hunt by horse back but I have never owned a horse before.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/04/20 01:05 AM

Horses are a bigger money pit than bird dogs. Buy a Mule that eats gasoline.
Posted By: Somebeach

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/04/20 02:16 AM

Yes, it comes with a lot of challenges. Too many to list now but an example is what are you going to do with your horse when your dog goes on to point? I have hunted chuckers, sage grouse, sharp tailed grouse and California quail from horseback.
Posted By: Idylwyld

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/04/20 04:26 PM

I hunt off horseback 90% of the time. I enjoy it.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/04/20 04:36 PM

Most quail leases in Texas do not allow you to bring horses onto lease. Especially if the horse is coming and going on the lease. They don't want to introduce diseases to cattle.
You may be able to get a horse on some leases if you board the horse on the lease.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/04/20 06:47 PM

If you are not a horse person who rides for other purposes, this is a bad idea. Just my .02 cents. Horses have very high maintenance costs and require consistent riding to stay trained and in shape.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/04/20 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

X5
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/04/20 07:05 PM

Get a steel horse. aka a mule
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/04/20 11:03 PM

It’s also a long way to the ground from the back of a horse.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/05/20 02:29 AM

It'd take a special horse to do that. I only had one that would fit that bill in all my years riding and training dogs. All horses have a hole in them somewhere (bad trait or habit). The horse would formost have to be gun broke and have a heck of a ground tie. ( Stay put when you dismount until you come back) Dogs running around them and thru their legs. The one horse I had would spook at certain things. You could ride him thru it but as these guys say a gasoline or diesel powered horse is so much better.
Posted By: USMC89

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/05/20 03:26 AM

Get a good riding mule and you’ll never look back.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/05/20 03:15 PM

Yep. How I grew up bird hunting. Will go a lot of places you can’t take a buggy. Does not leave ruts. Visibility is better. Just like a good dog it takes a lot of training and maintenance and you will have some washouts. If you know what you are doing and have the land and time it can be enjoyable.
If it has tires or tits it’s gonna give you trouble in time.
Posted By: booskay

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/05/20 03:29 PM

You dont want ------------- a swimming pool, motorcycle, horse.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/05/20 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Yep. How I grew up bird hunting. Will go a lot of places you can’t take a buggy. Does not leave ruts. Visibility is better. Just like a good dog it takes a lot of training and maintenance and you will have some washouts. If you know what you are doing and have the land and time it can be enjoyable.
If it has tires or tits it’s gonna give you trouble in time.

haha
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/06/20 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster

And only when you are using it!
Posted By: blanked

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/20/20 03:58 PM

Unless you have a physical disability why not walk. Road hunting isnt hunting with a UTV IMO. If your not already a horse lover i agree its alot to take on
Posted By: Chet

Re: Horseback riding for upland - 06/24/20 05:47 PM

I've done it in great cover and behind fine bird dogs, loved it, would do it all the time except for this. Trailer, tow vehicle, board, feed, maintenance. Hell I bought and sold a nice one I never rode, Plus you really need two.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum