Texas Hunting Forum

Cross Breed

Posted By: redhaze

Cross Breed - 03/27/20 03:49 PM

So I'm driving to work through Cumby, TX and spot a dog in a yard running loose. The dog is a mix of a chocolate lab and German Short Hair Pointer - a lab with a color pattern of a short hair.....what are the possibilities. Couldn't get pix, but the fun of thinking what this puppy could do....fun
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Cross Breed - 03/27/20 11:35 PM

Would not personally pursue it but you never know... My major concern would be how strong of a point they had. When I was growing up, in the early 70’s, one of my uncles had a dropper. It was a setter crossed with a pointer and was a heck of an upland dog. Ran like it’s hair was on fire and was tough as a boot with a lot of bottom. Had a superb nose and a lot of point. Handled a runner better than any dog I have witnessed and a strong retrieve. Had feet like asphalt and hunted well in the grass burs that were problematic in the sandy ground where I grew up. Looked a lot like a liver spotted setter with a tighter coat. They were somewhat common and had a bit of a following. Even though I gravitate to the best bred litters of bird dogs I can find, that dropper was I dog I would be proud to own and hunt over today.
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Cross Breed - 03/30/20 03:15 PM

That is a fun cross breed to think about Fray. I've seen some great pointer/GSP accidental crossbreds that turned into great bird dogs. Dale Rollins had, maybe still does, accidental crossbreds from Brittany and Setters he calls Betters because they were so good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum