Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone interested in a gun shy EP?

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 02/18/20 02:16 PM

I have a beautiful Orange & white EP that is about 6 years old, he's a great dog and was really coming along nicely with his training but has not been on many birds. He never showed any signs of being gun shy until this season, we planted some pigeons and worked him up to the first one, as soon as he smelled it he turned and tried to run away, I launched it and he showed some excitement so we went to the next one and same thing, this time I had my buddy shoot from a distance, Tex wanted nothing to do with it. He used to live at a shooting range and he spent 2 months at a professional trainer and was doing good 2 seasons ago but didn't hunt at all last year. I live at Cedar Creek lake so I think all the fireworks have freaked him out. The other day my neighbor was working on his car and it backfired a few times, Tex found a weak spot in his kennel and busted out, luckily we were home and saw what he did. But I think it might be time to see if someone is interested in him for just a pet. I'll try to find a pic

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 02/18/20 03:03 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kindall

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 02/18/20 04:04 PM

Kevin
If you don't find any takers, I'm sure I can get him into a sporting breed rescue.
I'll send you my cell number.

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 02/18/20 04:08 PM

That would be great Kindall. Gonna have to do something, he is at home right now trying his best to get out of his kennel (I have a camera on him) Im afraid hes going to get out and get run over
Posted By: blanked

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 03/01/20 03:27 PM

I have a shorthair that was the same way. Scared of birds, scared of anything loud. I just ran her on birds and didn’t carry a gun for a while. No discipline just kept my mouth shut. She took a while like a couple seasons doing this but she got over it and turned into my once in a lifetime dog
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 03/01/20 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
[Linked Image]

Crocodile Dundee lives!

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 03/02/20 02:22 PM

Crock gonna live forever.
He's a lean mean dog training machine.

I'm not giving up on Ol Tex yet, he showed some promise this weekend. I plan to do just like said above, get him chasing pigeons and introduce gun fire slowly. Almost let him go this weekend to a rescue place but wife and i talked and we have a plan to try to pull him through whatever he's going through. He's been too good of a dog to just give up on.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 03/02/20 08:12 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 03/02/20 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Good luck!
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 03/03/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by CCBIRDDOGMAN
Crock gonna live forever.
He's a lean mean dog training machine.

I'm not giving up on Ol Tex yet, he showed some promise this weekend. I plan to do just like said above, get him chasing pigeons and introduce gun fire slowly. Almost let him go this weekend to a rescue place but wife and i talked and we have a plan to try to pull him through whatever he's going through. He's been too good of a dog to just give up on.

Attaboy Kev!
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 03/05/20 02:26 PM

Go buy from Walmart a toy cap pistol like kids play with. While out romping around fire the cap pistol lots of time . Yes a toy cap pistol.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 04/06/20 01:07 PM

How's he doing now?

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 04/06/20 02:16 PM

He's actually coming along nicely. Haven't shot around him but he is back to chasing / getting excited about birds. Just gonna go slow.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Anyone interested in a gun shy EP? - 04/07/20 11:37 AM

up up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum