Texas Hunting Forum

When to spay or neuter?

Posted By: Jman

When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 01:58 AM

For working dogs, what opinions do folks have on when to spay or neuter?

I’m looking at putting my new pup through training but have no interest in breeding her.

She currently is 6 months.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 02:10 AM

I've had all mine done before the first heat.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 03:53 AM

I've always heard to wait two years so all you don't hinder any growth hormones, etc.
Posted By: kindall

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 04:16 AM

If I'm never going to breed them, I spay between 2-4 years old.
Anytime after they have finished growing is fine.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 12:32 PM

Wait at least until they are 18 months old..

They need to develop both physically and mentally.

You are at higher risk for developing ortho issues when you early spay or neuter.

So much so that many breeders void their health guarantee if the pup is spayed or neutered before 18 months old.
Posted By: NeKro

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 06:25 PM

I got my dog fixed after her 2nd cycle, think around 14-16 months.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 06:45 PM

I usually spay mine after 2 yo. I had the the Britt done at 1 yo, no health issues so far with her. She just turned 13.
Posted By: wacoducks

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 08:52 PM

I got mine spayed at 14 months. She looks great with no health problems so far. I am kicking myself though because i do not think she matured to her full ability. Especially looking at the dog from the back side. She was 14 months with no heat cycle yet though.
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/05/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I've always heard to wait two years so all you don't hinder any growth hormones, etc.

me too
Posted By: huck18

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/11/19 07:24 PM

Never.
Posted By: Judd

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/11/19 08:26 PM

We did one around 6 months and the other around 11 months. The one around 6 months leaks urine (incontinence) and is on Proin because we spayed her to early...I had never heard of it or had read about it but apparently it's a thing.

For that reason I'd wait until after the first or second heat cycle.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/11/19 11:53 PM

I had a GSP spayed about 2yo. She became incontinent after 10 yo. We did the proin for a while. Finally gave it up she was an outside dog.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/13/19 12:12 AM

2 years is a good target... Get all the way grown developed ready to roll... Then cut

I actually prefer never but it does make life easier
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/13/19 12:54 AM

Best to wait until after the second heat to spay a gyp. I won’t ever cut another dog, they get fat and lazy.
Posted By: huck18

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/14/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
I won’t ever cut another dog, they get fat and lazy.

Yep
Posted By: angler management

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/18/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by huck18
Never.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 11/20/19 02:44 AM

This is a great debate among veterinarians also.

In my own hunting dog, I'd probably wait til 18-24 months to spay/neuter. There is a study out there in golden retrievers that delayed neutering could decrease long term risk of orthopedic problems. In females, spaying before first heat virtually eliminates risk of mammary cancer and totally eliminates risk of pyometra.

On the other hand, spaying before puberty does delay growth plate closure so the animal will be slightly taller than if not altered.

Does that make it clear as mud?
Posted By: Jman

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 12/16/19 02:41 AM

Good feedback from all.

We will be having her spayed at 8 months.

She’s a foster dog and they have spaying and neutering as part of their ethos.

They want to have her spayed prior to her first heat cycle and won’t allow adoption beforehand. So we waited as long as they were comfortable to Jan 3 which makes her 8 months.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 12/18/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308

In my own hunting dog, I'd probably wait til 18-24 months to spay/neuter. There is a study out there in golden retrievers that delayed neutering could decrease long term risk of orthopedic problems. In females, spaying before first heat virtually eliminates risk of mammary cancer and totally eliminates risk of pyometra.

On the other hand, spaying before puberty does delay growth plate closure so the animal will be slightly taller than if not altered.

My biggest issue is the fact that most early spayed males never get the muscle tone they would have. Many are narrow chested
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 12/20/19 05:49 PM

Spayed mine at around 8-9 months before first heat. Vet said that will reduce chances of cancer and plus I don't have to deal with blood. Had a quick recovery and no issues so far.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: When to spay or neuter? - 12/21/19 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by catslayer
Originally Posted by Cow_doc.308

My biggest issue is the fact that most early spayed males never get the muscle tone they would have. Many are narrow chested

Oh for sure they don’t develop the secondary sex traits. They also a lot of times don’t develop the habit of marking everything they sniff. For me personally I’d let a male get a couple years old. But for a strictly pet, non sporting dog, I’d neuter ASAP so he don’t pee on everything. Lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum