Texas Hunting Forum

snake avoidance?

Posted By: kdub

snake avoidance? - 05/20/19 05:15 PM

Any snake avoidance clinics going down around dfw this spring/summer?
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/21/19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by kdub

Interested as well.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/21/19 04:41 PM

snakebreaker.com

He is usually at my place the first Sunday of August. I am on the east side of Weatherford.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/21/19 05:39 PM

If Wayne's dates don't work out, this is from last year. I'm pretty sure they'll do it again.
http://www.lsgspc.com/snake-avoidance.html

Originally Posted by nak
Lone Star German Shorthaired Club is holding one in South Dallas on July 28.

Its at Jordan Valley Retrievers/Endeavor Kennels, 4021 Jordan Valley Rd, Dallas 75253

Tony 405-206-4173 tony@endeavorkennals.com

I think it is $55\dog, but that might be an advance payment price.

My Brittany is signed up for it. Trying to get my wife to go with me. She does not seem to like the idea confused2
Posted By: kdub

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/21/19 06:34 PM

Thanks^^

Wayne does a good job for sure. I'll try to make it up to that. Are you taking Rosie Larry?

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/21/19 06:49 PM

Thanks^^

Wayne does a good job for sure. I'll try to make it up to that. Are you taking Rosie Larry?

I am, not sure where yet. Depends on dates and availability. Last year I couldn't make Wayne's deal.

Did get some free snake training last week. I always take her to the park at dusk since nobody is around and I can let her run. Going by the pond a 2 ft water snake was right there on the sidewalk. She had her ecollar on, so I let her off the leash to see what she would do. Like I thought, she charged in fast as she could go. Popped her real good. She's a quick learner, but still need to do the real deal.
Posted By: rjf1911

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/21/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
If Wayne's dates don't work out, this is from last year. I'm pretty sure they'll do it again.
http://www.lsgspc.com/snake-avoidance.html

Originally Posted by nak
Lone Star German Shorthaired Club is holding one in South Dallas on July 28.

Its at Jordan Valley Retrievers/Endeavor Kennels, 4021 Jordan Valley Rd, Dallas 75253

Tony 405-206-4173 tony@endeavorkennals.com

I think it is $55\dog, but that might be an advance payment price.

My Brittany is signed up for it. Trying to get my wife to go with me. She does not seem to like the idea confused2

It is going to be in Ovilla this year.....July 27. We are having it in Ovilla.....you can get all the details from Tony at Endeavor Kennels.....phone no above....or PM me.
Posted By: Kperry

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/22/19 08:45 PM

Just asked the same question on the birdhunting forum. Sorry for the overlap.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/22/19 10:50 PM

I lived in Colorado next to many prairie rattlers, I took a snake rattle and would shake it in my labs face, let him smell it and then smack him on the snout and say "no". It only took a few of those for him to avoid the rattlers. Labs are smart and quick learners.
Posted By: Guy

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/23/19 02:25 AM

Thanks^^

I am, not sure where yet. Depends on dates and availability. Last year I couldn't make Wayne's deal.

Did get some free snake training last week. I always take her to the park at dusk since nobody is around and I can let her run. Going by the pond a 2 ft water snake was right there on the sidewalk. She had her ecollar on, so I let her off the leash to see what she would do. Like I thought, she charged in fast as she could go. Popped her real good. She's a quick learner, but still need to do the real deal.

That’s probably the best training she can get, let her get a whiff of the snake then hit her. Good to mix it up, last year first time taking Tara for snake training at Stinkbelly’s place with Wayne, Tara knew something was up from the beginning. If I take her back, same setup, she will know it and probably not want to get out the truck. She does not forget stuff.
Posted By: stinkbelly

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/23/19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I lived in Colorado next to many prairie rattlers, I took a snake rattle and would shake it in my labs face, let him smell it and then smack him on the snout and say "no". It only took a few of those for him to avoid the rattlers. Labs are smart and quick learners.

That smell will be different than a live snake. You need to train them on sound, sight, and smell. I also recommend the vaccine for the time that the dog is going 100mph with the wind and just steps on a snake.

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/23/19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Guy
Thanks^^

That’s probably the best training she can get, let her get a whiff of the snake then hit her. Good to mix it up, last year first time taking Tara for snake training at Stinkbelly’s place with Wayne, Tara knew something was up from the beginning. If I take her back, same setup, she will know it and probably not want to get out the truck. She does not forget stuff.

Haha, my old Brittany was that way on her second training. She knew immediately when we pulled up at stinkbelly's what was up. She was on edge and never got anywhere near a snake.

Worked so well she would jump from anything that even looked like snake. Stepped on a submerged stick and the other end popped up out of the water. Didn't know she could jump so high. roflmao
Posted By: Tony_EndeavorKennels

Re: snake avoidance? - 05/27/19 04:07 AM

The 39th annual snake avoidance clinic will be held July 27 in Ovilla, TX.

Jpg of flyer is attached.

Or available at https://m.facebook.com/lsgspc/
The flyer is listed under events. Or send me an email and I’ll send it to you directly. tony@endeavorkennels.com

Attached picture 39th annual snake avoidance training clinic Page 001.jpg
Attached picture 39th annual snake avoidance training clinic Page 002.jpg
Posted By: wal1809

Re: snake avoidance? - 06/25/19 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

Please tell me you were kidding, please!
Posted By: wal1809

Re: snake avoidance? - 06/26/19 09:45 PM

kdub I will be in three different locations around Dallas in the first two weeks of August.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum