Texas Hunting Forum

New Pup

Posted By: scalebuster

New Pup - 03/21/19 12:34 AM

I swore I’d never own another lab. My wife insists on keeping them in the house and they shed too bad. A guide buddy of mine gave me this well bred pointing gem when I was in Kansas a few months ago. He told me to load her up and see what I could do with her. I love this gyp. It’s nice to have a dog that responds better to praise than pain. She is going to be somebody next season. I just wish bird season wasn’t so far away. I still can’t believe he gave me this mutt, every dog in her pedigree is a 3X GMPR or better. He’s a great freind!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: New Pup - 03/21/19 12:43 AM

What a buddy! Congrats
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: New Pup - 03/21/19 12:46 AM

good looking pup. Everyone should own a lab.

Re: New Pup - 03/21/19 02:34 AM

She was a nervous little girl when I got her. She’d never been out of a kennel much. It scared her to death the first time I brought her into the shop. She was even worse the first time my wife drug her into the house. She got over that pretty quick with all of the treats she got. After a week she wasn’t scared to go through a doorway anymore. I’ve noticed labs can adapt quickly to whatever environment they’re put in. She learns quickly, she sticks to me like glue. I taught her to load up tonight. She’s been scared of the mule since I got her. A few hot dog treats and she loads up like a champ. When I got her the only thing she wasn’t worried about was gunfire and finding dead bird. That’s the only thing she was worked on. It’s funny, when I first got her I could shoot a 12ga right next to her head and she wouldn’t blink an eye, slam a door around her and she’d jump like she was shot. She’s getting over all that in a hurry.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: New Pup - 03/21/19 03:59 AM

Some of the best dogs I have had in my life were gifts from friends. Good luck buddy. up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: New Pup - 03/21/19 04:18 AM

Beautiful pup. She is a friend for life up
Posted By: Piper354

Re: New Pup - 03/21/19 11:22 AM

There is nothing like the companionship between a man and his dog. I just got a black lab pup in November. [Linked Image]
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: New Pup - 03/21/19 02:08 PM

Good looking dog.
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: New Pup - 03/21/19 10:36 PM

very nice pups .
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: New Pup - 03/22/19 04:37 PM

cheers
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: New Pup - 03/23/19 01:56 AM

Nice scalebuster. Looks like she landed in the right place. The best dog I have ever owned was a little gyp I saw something in, given to me by one of my hunting buddies. I hope it turns out as well between the two of you.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: New Pup - 03/24/19 01:13 PM

Beautiful pup!

Re: New Pup - 03/26/19 12:07 AM

[Linked Image]

She may make a nice offseason fishing dog. I had a Brittany back in the day that would point when the rod tips would move when I was minnow fishing.

Black dog was nervous about loading up in the boat the first time but got over it and enjoyed the ride. She sat there like a champ and got excited when we’d catch one.

Re: New Pup - 03/26/19 02:52 AM

up
I like the small female labs. Does she really point?

Re: New Pup - 03/26/19 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
up
I like the small female labs. Does she really point?

[Linked Image]

Pointing labs are fun to watch if you’ve never been around one. She will point like a bird dog. I guess since she points she is a bird dog? The picture above is one of my buddy’s dogs on point in Kansas. I haven’t messed with mine much on live birds yet but she will consistently point the cat. A buddy I hunt with has a small female like mine and she points with a 12 o’clock tail every time. They’re not big ranging covey finders but they are nice to have on singles and great for pheasant. As long as mine finds dead bird and retrieves dove, that’s all I’m requiring.

Re: New Pup - 03/26/19 01:39 PM

up
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: New Pup - 03/28/19 03:24 PM

up cheers
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: New Pup - 04/05/19 10:38 PM

Awesome, man. Congrats. I love labs.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: New Pup - 04/10/19 01:29 AM

Beautiful Pup but I have to take exception with your comment about labs shedding to much in the house. You just need a German Shepherd for a while to break you from that chain of thought! roflmao
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: New Pup - 04/12/19 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by LarryCopper
up cheers
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: New Pup - 04/13/19 12:15 AM

Beautiful pup. Forrest
Posted By: rickym

Re: New Pup - 04/24/19 02:36 AM

Looks like she’ll be a great dog up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum