Texas Hunting Forum

Lab/skunk

Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Lab/skunk - 02/20/19 02:40 PM

Our Lab that stays in the house got sprayed by a skunk. What is the best thing to wash him with? Thanks for any advice
Posted By: modelt3

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/20/19 03:18 PM

My dogs got into it with a skunk a few years ago. I saw the skunk before they saw it. Couldn't get their attention fast enough to redirect. They didn't know what it was, so they go in and circle it. Skunk sprays, but missed them. They pounce on it, and played tug of war until they finally killed it. They actually didn't stop until they ripped it apart, simultaneously tearing into that gland. Their faces were covered with that dark green stuff. They stopped then. Whining and pushing their heads into the dirt. I tried tomato juice, dog shampoo, and Dawn dish detergent. Nothing touched it. Granted, this was more than just being sprayed though.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/20/19 03:33 PM

Probably too late or will be by the time you could get some, but what I carry in my dog first aid kit is Odormute powder. It must be mixed and used exactly per the directions with it for it to work. It uses active enzymes to get rid of the oil that produces the skunk odor. And it works way better than any of the commercial skunk off products and home remedies that people have suggested to me over the years. In fact I have found nothing else that worked at all.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/20/19 05:40 PM

This will work:
Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, half a box arm and hammer baking soda, and a big squirt of dawn dish washing soap.
Work it into the dogs fur really good. Rinse and repeat. Don't get it in the dogs eyes.
Unfortunately, I have used it on more than one dog.
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/21/19 01:34 AM

Thanks everyone I appreciate all of you !!!
Posted By: fishingpunk

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/26/19 03:09 AM

What i have found is use mint Listerine. My sister-in-law's dog got sprayed one year and we did a google search with what we had on hand. Turns out it worked pretty good.
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/26/19 03:33 AM

X2 on what Smokey Bear recommends. I have used that a few times and it works. May need to repeat a few times.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/27/19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
This will work:
Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, half a box arm and hammer baking soda, and a big squirt of dawn dish washing soap.
Work it into the dogs fur really good. Rinse and repeat. Don't get it in the dogs eyes.

This works pretty good. Trick is to let it sit for a good 5-10 minutes. Luckily haven't had to use it on the dogs yet. Not so lucky - it works great on humans as I've been sprayed twice in the last 5 years and have used it on myself.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/27/19 03:46 PM

This will work:

This is way too strong and should be diluted with warm water. Just a few drops of Dawn, certainly not a half box of soda and I don’t remember using so much peroxide. Rinse the dog well before applying the mix and again several more rinses after application.

Dewey hates skunks! The first time I used this his skin reacted and scabbed up. The following times I rinsed before and after and all was well. The stuff works immediately.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/27/19 04:12 PM

time
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Lab/skunk - 02/27/19 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
This will work:

This is way too strong and should be diluted with warm water. Just a few drops of Dawn, certainly not a half box of soda and I don’t remember using so much peroxide. Rinse the dog well before applying the mix and again several more rinses after application.

Dewey hates skunks! The first time I used this his skin reacted and scabbed up. The following times I rinsed before and after and all was well. The stuff works immediately.

My current dog killed then retrieved the first skunk it encountered. Not pretty.....mix I posted was only a half box or 4 oz baking soda. It was about right for a large dog. Tight coat. Rinsed easily and no adverse reaction.

First dog was a lab. Their undercoat is a b!tch to work solution into. Again no adverse reaction.
De-skunked both dogs though.
Posted By: GaryRI

Re: Lab/skunk - 03/03/19 10:57 PM

This will work:

This works great but keep in mind dogs get nailed in the face. When one dog got nailed the third time in one year I thoroughly washed the face with the mixture & immediately rinsed the eyes.

I also wash first with regular soap to be sure that the dog is soaked to the skin.
Posted By: GaryRI

Re: Lab/skunk - 03/03/19 10:57 PM

This will work:

This works great but keep in mind dogs get nailed in the face. When one dog got nailed the third time in one year I thoroughly washed the face with the mixture & immediately rinsed the eyes.

I also wash first with regular soap to be sure that the dog is soaked to the skin.
Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Re: Lab/skunk - 03/04/19 03:04 AM

Massengill douche’ and white vinegar. Don’t laugh!! It works better than anything mentioned here. Believe me when I say I have tried them all.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum