Texas Hunting Forum

Pigeons/Quail for Training

Posted By: noname124398

Pigeons/Quail for Training - 01/03/19 04:30 AM

Does anyone know of anywhere to buy quail/pigeons in the Houston area (preferably north)? Also, are there any pros/cons of using one over the other for retriever training?
Posted By: kindall

Re: Pigeons/Quail for Training - 01/03/19 01:57 PM

Pigeons are hardier than quail.
If I were just doing retriever work, I would choose pigeons every time.
If you don't have a bird dog, you could also go with ducks.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Pigeons/Quail for Training - 01/03/19 11:27 PM

I got a guy in Montgomery for quail if wanted
Posted By: Mundo

Re: Pigeons/Quail for Training - 01/04/19 07:12 PM

pigeons are easier to recall but they need to have been conditioned to their new home fo 6-12 months.
Posted By: Michael Wilson

Re: Pigeons/Quail for Training - 01/04/19 08:45 PM

I bought some quail around Sealy last week. let me know if you want the number and I will try to find it.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Pigeons/Quail for Training - 01/06/19 08:07 PM

Quail are not good for young dog. Quail fly and come down and dog in chase might catch and get rewarded for a bad habit you will have to break.

Homers are GOLDEN after you get the loft broken. Wild pigeons are ok and one time use.

Homers are golden for young dogs . Wish I was closer... See upland area for picture of good training loft design.
Posted By: noname124398

Re: Pigeons/Quail for Training - 01/07/19 05:36 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. At this point i am simply wanting to introduce my young pup to live birds to build prey drive / get him acclimated to live birds. He has been thoroughly introduced to dead ducks and took to those immediately. Just want to ensure he has the confidence to take on a live bird so we do not hit any road blocks when i get him in the field next year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum