Texas Hunting Forum

Brittany and Lab combo

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Brittany and Lab combo - 12/18/18 09:07 PM

Anyone ever had the 2 together? Experience? I've only had Brits but thinking after a recent death I have a lonely brit and thinking about adding a lab. Wondered if anyone had experience with the two breeds interacting. Thanks!
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Brittany and Lab combo - 12/19/18 02:43 AM

A very long time ago I had both of those breeds at the same time. Both were outdoor dogs that shared the same outdoor dog run. Mine got along great, but of course individual dogs can have very different temperaments.
Posted By: 16ga

Re: Brittany and Lab combo - 12/19/18 04:38 PM

Long as your pointing dog doesn't mind having his birds flushed works great.

Friend of mine has a brittany, a pointer, and a lab. He runs the pointing dogs with a beeper set on point only. The lab knows whats going on when beeper goes off. 2 weeks ago in SD we're hunting cattail sloughs with ice thick enough dogs don't break thru, but not thick enough for our fat azz. One of his goes on point 100 yards ahead and 30 yards into the thick stuff, lab hears the beep and takes a line to the sound, he turns it off, lab comes back and hunts in front of him, we make our way to where we thought we last heard the beep, he turns it back on, sure nuff dog is pointed 30 yds directly across from us, lab hears beep, goes in and flushes bird...of course it was a hen.

Works great. Lots of folks run flushers with pointers, just have to make sure your flusher doesn't turn your pointer into the former.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Brittany and Lab combo - 12/19/18 08:18 PM

Good information guys - thanks!
Posted By: kindall

Re: Brittany and Lab combo - 12/22/18 01:14 PM

If you like a little bit smaller breed than a lab, field bred English Cockers are great flushing dogs.
I love labs, I just don't care for the amount of hair they shed.
Posted By: Tony_EndeavorKennels

Re: Brittany and Lab combo - 12/24/18 01:16 AM

I use labs to flush in front of Pointing dogs. They work great together.

Link to video of lab and gsp’s:
https://www.facebook.com/156316404712431/posts/578662209144513?sfns=st

Tony Miller
Endeavor Kennels
www.endeavorkennels.com
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Brittany and Lab combo - 12/24/18 12:19 PM

Shouldn't be an issue as long as both dogs are properly socialized and come from parents with good temperaments. It's more about the individual dogs vs specific breeds.

A lot of people use a lab and some tripe of spaniel/pointer combo for hunting upland birds.

Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Brittany and Lab combo - 12/24/18 03:24 PM

I’ve had that combo before. Mine got along fine. I’d rather have two Brittany’s though.

My grandfather had a pointer and a hound that didn’t get along when I was a kid. One winter it froze up for several days and they kept fighting over the dog house. He shoved them in there together and nailed a board over the front and left them in there for a few days until it thawed out. They got along pretty good after that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum