Texas Hunting Forum

Product for raw pads

Posted By: cbump

Product for raw pads - 11/06/18 06:26 PM

My dog has raw back pads. We work every day together so he’s not getting much time off his feet. Anything I can put on them to strengthen?
Thanks!
Posted By: fishingpunk

Re: Product for raw pads - 11/06/18 06:57 PM

Mushers Secret. Gun dog supply carries it and so does amazon.
Posted By: cbump

Re: Product for raw pads - 11/06/18 07:40 PM

Got to work today and vet was waiting. Cleaned It up and put alumashield on It.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Product for raw pads - 11/07/18 04:21 AM

Boots
Posted By: Sweese

Re: Product for raw pads - 11/07/18 04:31 PM

Try Tuff Foot. I use it on my retriever before, during and after heavy upland hunting. It works great. It can be found at gun dog supply or Amazon(below):

https://www.amazon.com/TUF-FOOT-Liquid-F...ywords=tuf-foot
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Product for raw pads - 11/08/18 12:03 AM

I've had a few that blew out their pads. They seem to come back tougher. This one blew her front pads at the Endurance trial in Montana. I had to pick her up.

They had a consolation trial called the Filson trial the next day. I booted her two front feet and she took third place in the Filson trial. She was fine a week later.
Posted By: blanked

Re: Product for raw pads - 11/08/18 12:18 AM

Tuff foot , mushers secret do very little IMO. Boot your dogs or run them on gravel gradually to tough up there pads
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Product for raw pads - 11/13/18 05:14 PM

I use mushers secret in snow and ice and it works well to cut down on ice balls between the toes which can nearly stop a dog.
After the pad heals, running the dog on oil top/asphalt roads with a gradual buildup in mileage has worked well for my dogs to toughen up the pads. No real shortcut that I know of. The boots I have used will work for a few days but after several back to back days of hard hunting, the ends and top of the toes usually end up rubbed sore. IMO homemade boots from motorcycle inner tubes are the easiest on the dogs feet. Taking the time to build the necessary calluses on the pads IMO is the best long term solution. The short term solution is to cut back the time the dog is on the ground till nature takes it's course and the feet toughen up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum