Texas Hunting Forum

Heart worms

Posted By: Old Hickory

Heart worms - 11/06/18 01:20 AM

I currently have 6 dogs in the kennel on trifexis . It’s pretty expensive and I was talking to an older gentleman who recommended giving them ivomec. Was wondering what thoughts and opinions are out there regarding giving ivomec as a heart worm preventive. I can and will continue to give them the trifexis but if ivomec is a sufficient med to do the job I would consider switching since it would be a lot less expensive. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: tigger

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 01:40 AM

Been using 15 years and works great. mix 1cc ivomec to 9 cc of a mixer and give dog 1cc of mix to 40lbs of body weight. that is the mix I use. Give once a month
Posted By: shightower

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 02:07 AM

Ivamec is the active ingredient in heart guard. Just be 100% positive that your dog doesn’t have heart worms.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: tigger
Been using 15 years and works great. mix 1cc ivomec to 9 cc of a mixer and give dog 1cc of mix to 40lbs of body weight. that is the mix I use. Give once a month

What’s the mixer, tonic water or 7up? wink
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 03:40 AM

I've been using it since 1992. I put .3 on a piece of bread each month.
Posted By: Old Hickory

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 11:50 AM

Thanks for the reply’s . I’ve been told to use .1 cc to 10lbs of body weight. Looks like the rate has room to very some as long as your consistently doing it once a month. Glad to hear it’s been working for y’all and appreciate the info.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 12:13 PM

Been using Ivomec since it came on the market. Have not lost a dog to heart worms since. Over the years I've had a few dogs that would not take it willingly but have found if hidden in some canned dog food and fed prior to daily feeding even the picky eater's gobble it. I give a half CC to my Brittany and 3/4 CC to my Pointer's and Setters. Every month all year.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Hickory
Thanks for the reply’s . I’ve been told to use .1 cc to 10lbs of body weight. Looks like the rate has room to very some as long as your consistently doing it once a month. Glad to hear it’s been working for y’all and appreciate the info.
That is what I have been doing for 25-30 years. Never had heartworms in a dog.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 05:10 PM

It is what I use.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 05:54 PM

anyone use Heartgard?
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 07:04 PM

I am using ivomec on my dog
i stopped trifexis due to it not protecting against tics,
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Heart worms - 11/06/18 08:04 PM

I’m going back to heart guard. It s easier for my wife to administer when I’m not home.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum