Texas Hunting Forum

Chipped lower canine

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Chipped lower canine - 09/01/18 11:42 PM

My female pointer somehow chipped a lower a lower canine tooth. Looks like about top third is gone. Vet wanted to pull it while she was put under for spay procedure, I declined. It doesn’t seem to bother her, she’s back to eating normally after surgery. I guess the rocks she like to dig up and carry around finally did her in. Anybody run into this issue before?
Posted By: kman2017

Re: Chipped lower canine - 09/02/18 07:03 AM

I rescued a lab that had between 8-10 teeth removed. I can't remember exactly how many, I'd have to go back and dig up my bill. He didn't have a problem eating/holding anything in his mouth beforehand and I was worried he would after he got all of those pulled. I was expecting 3. I knew it would just be a matter of time before all of his chipped teeth began to get infected and cause problems. He has no problems eating, chewing, holding anything now, but none of his were canines. I wouldn't expect the removal of one tooth to cause any problems though seeing how my dog responded with the removal of numerous teeth.

Re: Chipped lower canine - 09/02/18 04:46 PM

I’ll probably make another appointment to have it removed. hammer
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Chipped lower canine - 09/02/18 11:20 PM

It's possible to have it capped. Give your pup a silver tooth! No idea the cost. Would have to find a veterinary dentist to do it most likely.

Its done in a lot of the military dogs that do bite work because they frequently break teeth.

Re: Chipped lower canine - 09/02/18 11:43 PM

Thanks cow doc for the info. I’ll touch base with my vet on Tuesday. I’d like to be able to save the tooth.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Chipped lower canine - 09/03/18 02:50 AM

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/crowning-teeth-in-dogs

https://www.avdc.org/crowns.html

little more info on it for you. You'll probably have to make a trip to austin or College Station if you want to get a crown.

I have no idea of the cost involved.

Extraction is a perfectly good option also.

Re: Chipped lower canine - 09/05/18 01:15 AM

Have an appointment for extraction next Tuesday. It’s at least 3 trips to get repair/replacement done. I’ll just rename her snaggle tooth.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum