Texas Hunting Forum

How difficult is it to train your own pup?

Posted By: DryFire

How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/22/18 10:20 PM

I'm sure this has been asked before on the forum but training a lab to retrieve has peaked my interest of late. I understand that it is a ton of work (which I am willing to put in if its worth the effort) and you never truly stop working with them, but I am curious to know how difficult it is to train a pup to sit, here, heel, kennel, retrieve and things of that basic nature for waterfowl and migratory bird hunting.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/22/18 10:59 PM

Can be done for sure. Start with a well bred pup and you can accomplish the goals you listed with some commitment and hard work.

If you'll start with a well bred pup and purchase and follow "Training a Retriever Puppy" by Bill Hillmann you can have pup better than 90% of what hunters are taking out to the field.

I've trained all my own labs and recently got into running hunt tests. I have a 2 year old that is 1 pass from her HRCH title which involves a lot more than things you listed. 100% amateur trained.
Posted By: MS1454

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/23/18 03:01 AM

Basic obedience isn't that hard, consistancy is key. Like mentioned, start with a well bred pup and it isn't too bad, they want to learn, they want a job. FF seems to give people the most trouble.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/23/18 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: DryFire
I'm sure this has been asked before on the forum but training a lab to retrieve has peaked my interest of late. I understand that it is a ton of work (which I am willing to put in if its worth the effort) and you never truly stop working with them, but I am curious to know how difficult it is to train a pup to sit, here, heel, kennel, retrieve and things of that basic nature for waterfowl and migratory bird hunting.

It’s not hard at all and not a TON of work. It just takes consistency and about 15 minutes every day. You’ll spend more time thinking about what your going to do with your pup every day than you will training him.

It doesn’t turn into work until you start thinking you need a half dozen of them.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/23/18 01:57 PM

I think it is easier than most think it will be. Just be consistent and a well bred dog learns pretty quickly. I think you need to be very self aware and understand you dog picks up on your mental state more than a human would. It is very rewarding.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/23/18 04:07 PM

One of the greatest rewards and satisfactions in the life of a "dog guy" is training your own dog and then having them perform in the field. It doesn't get much better.
You will learn a lot about dogs and you will learn a lot about yourself.

As everyone has mentioned, consistency is the key. Training a pup to heel, here, sit can be done in a matter of weeks on daily walks around your neighborhood by teaching the pup the commands and having him do them 20-30 times on a good walk. A well bred retriever pup should have the drive to retrieve and all you will be doing is honing his natural instincts.

make a plan of what you want the dog do and be.
make a list of commands and make sure everyone in your house sticks to them (consistency)... this will speed things up.
work with the dog daily but let it be a pup and have plenty of playtime and socialization.
structure your training to fit your plan so you can do something towards your goal everyday if possible.
it is WAY easier to prevent bad habits with good proactive training than it is to FIX bad habits through lack of or poor training.
be careful and do not rush the pup into gun training... there is plenty of time for this.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/23/18 04:30 PM

It's not too difficult and highly rewarding, but you will need to budget 20-30 minutes a day. If you can find a mentor near by to train with it will make things go smoother. Training your own bird dog is a lot like having a girlfriend. You will likely learn more from the first than any other....
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/23/18 04:31 PM

It's different training pointing dogs. You have to have a place and birds.
I did FF Cracker in the back yard.

Posted By: Maxus

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/23/18 08:36 PM

All great information from all of the guys above. I trained my BLM myself, and he has his Junior Hunter title now. He's my first Labrador Retriever to train. It just takes consistency, and that is the key to any training.
Posted By: Guy

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/24/18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: DryFire

10 minute training sessions in the morning (before work) and afternoon (after work) that is all it takes. The other more important factor is getting you trained. Buy a good training program, Bill Hillmann etc..., but also seek out one-on-one help form a pro (if things are not going perfect), especially when it comes to collar conditioning and force fetch.
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/27/18 01:24 AM

Basically, you get out of it what you put into it. The more time and consistency you put into it the better dog you will end up with.

Robby
Posted By: Maddog

Re: How difficult is it to train your own pup? - 08/30/18 11:53 PM

Water Dog by Richard A. Wolters is a great training book. I've trained 3 retrievers using his methods.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum