Texas Hunting Forum

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis

Posted By: TWarren

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis - 07/30/18 05:46 PM

Anyone ever dealt with this condition in their bird dogs?

I have an English setter suddenly stricken on Saturday morning and by evening she was barely moving. Could not hold down any water and bloody diarrhea. Rushed her into the emergency vet clinic and they started her on IV fluids to combat dehydration and broad-spectrum antibiotics for possible infection. We still don't know the actual cause but the great vet got her stabilized and she will be coming home today.

While reading about the condition I came across comments that parasites can be a trigger. I have never thought twice about allowing my dogs to use water sources intended for livestock or wildlife but might halt that practice.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis - 08/01/18 09:44 PM

I've dealt with it in a few patients, weren't bird dogs though. It can get pretty serious pretty quick. Sounds like you did the right thing by going to an emergency clinic. Hope she on the way to recovery by now.

I don't know that the water sources would be the cause, they could be but, the cases of HGE that I remember were in small breed house dogs.
Posted By: Stohner

Re: Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis - 08/02/18 03:31 AM

I had a dog that died from an immune mediated response that caused internal bleeding etc. healthy dog 7 days later passed away. Took her to the vet diagnostic in dallas for a full week and they could never get her stable.

Count your blessings with your pup!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum