Texas Hunting Forum

North Texas Dog Trainer

Posted By: Stohner

North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 12:23 AM

Did a search and reached out to a few of the people I found. Anyone have an awesome experience with a trainer?

I am currently looking at using Kennington Retrievers out of Bonham to train my Pudelpointer once I get her.

Main goals will be to retrieve, duck and dove. If she is taught to point it would be extra, not really prime pointing hunting in the area...
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 12:39 AM

You don't teach pointing.
Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 01:10 AM

Unlike the reply above, your dog will have or not have pointing instincts from it's genetics. You can "enhance" it's style and steadiness but if the instinct isn't there, it's frustrating to both dog and trainer to attempt to teach something that just isn't in their genes.

If I were you ... I'd concentrate efforts on important aspects of a waterfowl dog and part time upland hunter such as steadiness, marking skills, learning and compliance with voice, whistle and hand signals, using it's nose in addition to sight, and retrieving to hand with a gentle soft grip. Best of luck with your new pup.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
You don't teach pointing.

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 06:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Cappy_TX
Unlike the reply above, your dog will have or not have pointing instincts from it's genetics. You can "enhance" it's style and steadiness but if the instinct isn't there, it's frustrating to both dog and trainer to attempt to teach something that just isn't in their genes.

If I were you ... I'd concentrate efforts on important aspects of a waterfowl dog and part time upland hunter such as steadiness, marking skills, learning and compliance with voice, whistle and hand signals, using it's nose in addition to sight, and retrieving to hand with a gentle soft grip. Best of luck with your new pup.

Sire scored- NA 112- UT 186
Dam scored- NA 112- UT 194

I assume the puppy will naturally point but I would want a trainer who is experienced in working with pointers.
Posted By: TTT Ranch

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 11:00 AM

My 8 month old GSP just got back from a 2 month stay at Endevour Kennels in South Dallas. Tony Miller did a phenomenal job with her. Can’t wait to get her up to Kansas in mid Oct.
Posted By: Tim38

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 12:19 PM

It's nice smile
Posted By: Texasphez

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 12:48 PM

Stohner,

Check the post "Dang y'all" a few post down. Someone just posted about about training a PP and how well they enjoyed it! Might be a guy to talk to...

Where are you getting a pup from?

Another suggestion I'll throw out is, don't know where your at, but look into joining a local NAVHDA group to train with. Could be a lot of experience in the group that could help you to train yourself.
Posted By: Shortya

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 07/30/18 03:22 PM

Buck Henderson with Backyard Training Kennels is fantastic!!! He is located in Van Alstyne, between McKinney and Sherman.

https://www.backyardtrainingkennels.com/

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 08/08/18 02:54 AM

Thanks for the tips so far. Sent a couple emails out to check on availability.
Posted By: kindall

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 08/11/18 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Shortya
Buck Henderson with Backyard Training Kennels is fantastic!!! He is located in Van Alstyne, between McKinney and Sherman.

2x on Buck
If you can't get your pp in to him, maybe try Clayton Taylor with Muddy Paws.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 08/11/18 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: kindall
Originally Posted By: Shortya

2x on Buck
If you can't get your pp in to him, maybe try Clayton Taylor with Muddy Paws.

Did he train pointing dogs or retrievers for y’all?
Posted By: nak

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 08/12/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: TTT Ranch
My 8 month old GSP just got back from a 2 month stay at Endevour Kennels in South Dallas. Tony Miller did a phenomenal job with her. Can’t wait to get her up to Kansas in mid Oct.

I'll second the vote for Tony Miller. My 18 month old Brittany just came back from spending 10 weeks with Tony. He is amazing with dogs...he is the calmest, most consistent trainer I have ever met. He lives on-site, right beside the kennels.

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 08/13/18 02:09 AM

thanks for the references. going to contact them to schedule a visit to check out their kennel.
Posted By: super

Re: North Texas Dog Trainer - 08/13/18 02:02 PM

I recomend both Buck and Tony. I have trained a lot for NAVHDA with Buck. He has owned nice PP before.
Have also trained with Tony and he recently told me he has had some nice PP in recently. Tony also trains retrievers at Jordan valley kennels where he ives on site.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum