Texas Hunting Forum

Goldendoodle experiences/breeders

Posted By: Stohner

Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/21/18 04:04 PM

Anyone here ever hunted with a goldendoodle? Considering one due to lack of shedding, wife requirement.

Also looking for a decent breeder.

Thanks!
Scott
Posted By: kbobbjr

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/21/18 06:16 PM

Contrary to popular belief, they do still shed.

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/21/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: kbobbjr

I know all dogs still shed to an extent.... But from my understanding that is the allure of these breed of dogs is that they are bred to shed a lower amount compared to something like a lab.

Thanks for your input.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/21/18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Stohner
Originally Posted By: kbobbjr

I know all dogs still shed to an extent.... But from my understanding that is the allure of these breed of dogs is that they are bred to shed a lower amount compared to something like a lab.

Thanks for your input.

I have a goldendoodle. They do shed but not like a normal dog and cousins kids that are allergic to dogs can be around him without having a reaction.

Smartest dog I have ever owned but to be honest, he isn’t a good hunting dog. He had no initial instinct but I didnt work with him much on it because he showed little interest or natural ability. Also, he isn’t a strong swimmer.

He is probably an exception because I have read articles that they are good hunters, just not the case with mine.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/21/18 06:41 PM

If you want a good hunting dog that sheds less, that isn't a designer mix and is actually bred to hunt and be a working dog look at the Pudelpointer.

Posted By: Texasphez

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/22/18 03:44 AM

Though I am not an expert on goldendoodles, I can't really see them as being much of a hunting dog. My only experience is my brothers, and that dog has not the slightest inclination of hunting ability.

How much hunting do you intend to do with the dog? If it is more than just the occasional outing, then i to would suggest you look into a Pudelpointer. Reason being, I have a hard time seeing someone that is dedicated to breeding field breed goldens, finding someone else, whom is dedicated to breeding field/ hunting poodles, and the two of them getting together and crossing what they are working so hard to preserve. I mean no offense to you whatsoever, and if a goldedoodle is really what you want, then by all means I wish you the best of luck, but if you really plan to hunt with a dog on a regular basis, and want one that does shed less than the average breed, then do look at the Pudelpointer! If you do happen to want more info on them, there are several of us here that own them, and I am sure would be glad to share more info with you.
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/22/18 04:06 AM

Two of you have mentioned pudelpointers now. I’m reading on them. I might be interested in one when I’m ready for another dog. Any good breeders in/around DFW? Or in TX?

How is their temperment? Do they have an’off switch’ where they can be good family dogs as well as hunters?

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/22/18 04:37 AM

Mine has one the best off switches of any dog I've ever owned!
If really interested couple things you need to know. First off be ready to expand your search outside of Texas. Second be prepared to wait for a pup to become available, as there are not a lot of breeders nation wide, and demand is extremely high! Third because of the above situation, most breeders are extremely picky on where their pups end up.

http://pudelpointer.net/ Go here and start contacting breeders, as this is where the people whom are dedicated to keeping these dogs what they are, are listed!

If you want more info, I will start a new theard, as not high jack the op theard question, more so than I already have!

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/23/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Texasphez
Though I am not an expert on goldendoodles, I can't really see them as being much of a hunting dog. My only experience is my brothers, and that dog has not the slightest inclination of hunting ability.

How much hunting do you intend to do with the dog? If it is more than just the occasional outing, then i to would suggest you look into a Pudelpointer. Reason being, I have a hard time seeing someone that is dedicated to breeding field breed goldens, finding someone else, whom is dedicated to breeding field/ hunting poodles, and the two of them getting together and crossing what they are working so hard to preserve. I mean no offense to you whatsoever, and if a goldedoodle is really what you want, then by all means I wish you the best of luck, but if you really plan to hunt with a dog on a regular basis, and want one that does shed less than the average breed, then do look at the Pudelpointer! If you do happen to want more info on them, there are several of us here that own them, and I am sure would be glad to share more info with you.

This makes sense as far as breeders etc... I have looked into pudelpointers prior as well. I was under the impression their shed & allergy level is usually higher.

I duck/dove hunt, the dog will be more of a family companion that I hunt with.

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/23/18 05:37 PM

Mine has one the best off switches of any dog I've ever owned!
If really interested couple things you need to know. First off be ready to expand your search outside of Texas. Second be prepared to wait for a pup to become available, as there are not a lot of breeders nation wide, and demand is extremely high! Third because of the above situation, most breeders are extremely picky on where their pups end up.

http://pudelpointer.net/ Go here and start contacting breeders, as this is where the people whom are dedicated to keeping these dogs what they are, are listed!

If you want more info, I will start a new theard, as not high jack the op theard question, more so than I already have!

Sent a few of them messages from the website. Only saw one in TX and one in OK... Most of yall travel pretty far to get yours?
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/23/18 06:36 PM

Mine is out of Cedarwoods gundogs. Drove to Santa Fe NM to pick him up. Would make the drive again with no hesitation.
Gungirl x Atlas

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/23/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Mine is out of Cedarwoods gundogs. Drove to Santa Fe NM to pick him up. Would make the drive again with no hesitation.
Gungirl x Atlas

Sent bob an email to inquire about his next litter.

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/23/18 09:29 PM

Gungirl x Atlas

I actually found a Cedarwoods in Ohio, not Santa fe.... Same place or did he have him delivered there?
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/24/18 12:38 AM

No. Bob Farris is in Boise Idaho. Gungirl is in NM and has had two liters. Both out of Atlas. If you go to Cedarwood Gundogs website and look at the breeding stock you can read about Gungirl from Santa Fe. Some really nice bird dogs were produced in those breedings. Bob is one of the good ones and there is a high demand for dogs from his kennel. He strives to put the best with the best, to produce a gundog with attributes that exemplify the breed.

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/24/18 02:48 AM

No. Bob Farris is in Boise Idaho. Gungirl is in NM and has had two liters. Both out of Atlas. If you go to Cedarwood Gundogs website and look at the breeding stock you can read about Gungirl from Santa Fe. Some really nice bird dogs were produced in those breedings. Bob is one of the good ones and there is a high demand for dogs from his kennel. He strives to put the best with the best, to produce a gundog with attributes that exemplify the breed.

Could you provide me with the contact info for the person in Santa Fe? Bob let me know he was not adding names to a list even until January so it may be awhile to get one from him.

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/24/18 03:36 AM

Stohner,

Smokey and I have full siblings, but from separate litters. Gungirl, the mother of our dogs lives in Santa Fe, but all litter information was and is handled through Bob. Here's the thing to remember about PP's, as I said before, demand is extremely high and supply is limited, so patience is the key. I would recommend contacting several breeders, talk to them about what you're looking for, explain your situation, and then be prepared to wait for a pup. Gungirl who is in Santa Fe is not bred, nor will she be ever again, as she has been spayed. Another thing to keep in mind, the breeders on the website I pasted above, get multiple inquiries a day about puppies so a little patience in letting them get back to you will go a long ways as well.
Posted By: NRAman

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/24/18 04:13 AM

We got our PP in AZ via parents from Idaho. I will see if the family that bred our litter is still breeding pups. They are very hypoallergenic, smart (too smart), great family dogs, and most have great instincts and noses. They are hard to find, but worth the effort.

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/24/18 04:45 AM

Stohner,

Smokey and I have full siblings, but from separate litters. Gungirl, the mother of our dogs lives in Santa Fe, but all litter information was and is handled through Bob. Here's the thing to remember about PP's, as I said before, demand is extremely high and supply is limited, so patience is the key. I would recommend contacting several breeders, talk to them about what you're looking for, explain your situation, and then be prepared to wait for a pup. Gungirl who is in Santa Fe is not breed, nor will she be ever again, as she has been spayed. Another thing to keep in mind, the breeders on the website I pasted above, get multiple inquiries a day about puppies so a little patience in letting them get back to you will go a long ways as well.

I had looked into Pudels few months back and was having same issue finding them. Main reason I had started to look at a goldendoodle or one of the kind. We recently put my 10 yr old dachshund down and I am wanting to get a second dog again. Wife has a 2 pup max and a hunting buddy is next.
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/24/18 03:56 PM

Have you thought about a field bred standard poodle?

Poodles as good as or better than Labrador
Posted By: RayB

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/25/18 12:30 AM

Did you talk to North TX PP?

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/25/18 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
Did you talk to North TX PP?

Yea he is a year and half out.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/25/18 03:47 PM

If you are not an avid hunter and hunt every possible weekend, I would not recommend a PudelPointer. These dogs love to work every day, it is a big commitment and it would not be fair to the dog.

If you hunt fur, fins and feathers, this is the dog for you.

Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/25/18 05:44 PM

I would recommend contacting several breeders, talk to them about what you're looking for, explain your situation, and then be prepared to wait for a pup... Another thing to keep in mind, the breeders on the website I pasted above, get multiple inquiries a day about puppies so a little patience in letting them get back to you will go a long ways as well.

Good advice. I sent a more or less standard email stating what my situation was and why I was interested in a PP to all the breeders on the website in southern states. I could be wrong on this, but I was working under the assumption they might be better suited for the TX weather.

Out of about 10, half or more responded. Half of those that did were very helpful and pointed me towards other breeders that they knew of that were planning for litters. Got lucky and found a good breeder in Florida with a litter coming. Spoke to him at great length about what I was looking for, which is important. Not only do they want their dogs going to hunting homes, but in my case he tried the best he could to match each person with the most appropriate pup. I would think others do the same.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7170599/Rosie
Posted By: Cappy_TX

Re: Goldendoodle experiences/breeders - 07/29/18 03:03 PM

Are you absolutely committed to a Goldendoodle? I've had wonderful results with my Labradoodle, Rusty, who grew up with two yellow Labs as mentors and Rusty became a wonderful duck dog and family member. He does shed but I'd estimate only 10-15% as much as our Labs did.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum