Texas Hunting Forum

Sick Pup

Posted By: Triple7

Sick Pup - 06/21/18 03:46 PM

I have a 2yr old YLM and the night before last he started throwing up. Got him outside and he settled down. The next day my kids told me he was still having heaving. Then all hell broke loose. He came inside when I was at work and my kids were home and throw up blood all over the living room. My son texts me pictures and I call my vet. He tells me to try and get him to eat rice and chicken to see how that goes. Well later that night he hadn't thrown up in a while and is just laying around the house. Won't eat is drinking a little.

Took him to the vet this morning, X-rays and Blood work came back good. Looks like our lake lavon visit on Sunday might have given him a bug and he has an infection in his stomach. Currently he is at the vet getting IV and antibiotics.
Watch out for those nasty lakes.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: Sick Pup - 06/21/18 04:42 PM

Man that sucks, but glad to hear he'll be OK. up

If you were up north on the lake, there has been a lot of talk about the waste treatment plant up there having problems. Saw some video that looked like poo in the water. sick

Re: Sick Pup - 06/21/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
Man that sucks, but glad to hear he'll be OK. up

If you were up north on the lake, there has been a lot of talk about the waste treatment plant up there having problems. Saw some video that looked like poo in the water. sick

I was on the north side. I didn't know anything about that. The shore line did have a black gunk around it and there were at least 2 dead fish in the 100 yrds that I walked.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Sick Pup - 06/22/18 02:15 AM

Sounds to me like poisoning.
Does he run loose around your neighborhood?

Re: Sick Pup - 06/22/18 12:57 PM

No he is never out like that and we have had the same neighbors for 10 yrs.

He spent all day yesterday at the vet, going back today. Got IVs and Antibiotics. He was still a little drained last night but I could tell he felt much better.
Posted By: Guy

Re: Sick Pup - 06/26/18 05:44 PM

Wow, I just let my dog swim in that lake last Saturday, and she always takes a drink as well. Were you on the east or west arm? The treatment center is on the west arm.

Also, was your dog up to date on shot? What is the name of that shot that protects them from bacteria with lake water?

Re: Sick Pup - 06/26/18 06:08 PM

Leptospirosis shot is what I was thinking of. Did your dog get leptospirosis?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Sick Pup - 06/26/18 10:00 PM

I thought lepto was a liver issue, and is transmitable to humans

Re: Sick Pup - 06/27/18 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: 68rustbucket
I thought lepto was a liver issue, and is transmitable to humans

Read this....it talkes about dogs getting it from drinking from lakes, and vomiting blood.

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/Leptospirosis.aspx

Re: Sick Pup - 06/27/18 06:32 PM

380 right after princeton.
Dog has the Lipto shot, but it doesn't prevent everything according to my vet.
He has gotten better it was REALLY bad there for a couple of days. Still feeding him antibiotics and food in small portions.

Re: Sick Pup - 06/27/18 10:38 PM

Was your dog in stagnant water? How much time did your dog spend in the water? Does your dog drink lake water? I’m always telling my dog “no” when she try’s to drink lake water. In the boat I can have a bowl of fresh water for her, but she will lean out the boat and drink the lake water. hammer
Posted By: kindall

Re: Sick Pup - 06/29/18 03:50 PM

Hows your dog doing?

I've let my dogs swim, and drink from all kinds of water.
Half the ponds we duck hunt, are in cattle pastures.
The only time I've had a problem, was when we were building blinds in August.
My female decided to hunt nutria rats under the water. Horrible diarrhea the next day. Vet check showed her stool was full of amoebas. A couple of days on meds, and she was fine.
Knowing that my dogs pile off in any water in sight, I keep their lepto shots current.

Re: Sick Pup - 07/02/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: kindall
Hows your dog doing?

I've let my dogs swim, and drink from all kinds of water.
Half the ponds we duck hunt, are in cattle pastures.
The only time I've had a problem, was when we were building blinds in August.
My female decided to hunt nutria rats under the water. Horrible diarrhea the next day. Vet check showed her stool was full of amoebas. A couple of days on meds, and she was fine.
Knowing that my dogs pile off in any water in sight, I keep their lepto shots current.

He is good. Down a little bit in weight, but going back on regular food I'm sure he will fill back out a little.
We hunt in some pretty grimy holes too and this was in a full size lake.... so I was more surprised. Though when it's 12 degrees I'm sure most of the bacteria is dead when we are hunting. Now I have to find a better place to train.
Posted By: Sweese

Re: Sick Pup - 07/03/18 05:59 PM

I suggest a good probiotic. I use Purina Forti Flora sprinkled on my retrievers' food a few days a week when training and usually daily when hunting away.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum