Texas Hunting Forum

German shorthaired pointer

Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

German shorthaired pointer - 03/28/18 05:45 PM

Do German shorthaired pointers make good family dogs with small kids?
Posted By: fishingpunk

Re: German shorthaired pointer - 03/28/18 06:01 PM

Yes!!! Just remember they are birddogs.
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: German shorthaired pointer - 03/28/18 06:21 PM

absolutely; healthy breed I find to be very docile. My son has hung all over mine from a young age with no issues. He can take food out of their mouth if he so chooses. The worst thing that happens is they knock him down and slobber on him.
Posted By: lhe3

Re: German shorthaired pointer - 03/28/18 08:25 PM

Yes they do. My GSP thinks he is a lap dog when he's not in the field. Mine is a little freaked out by kids but thats because he is rarely exposed to them.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: German shorthaired pointer - 03/28/18 08:28 PM

Absolutely, but I would question "how small"? GSP's are high energy, big, strong dogs and can knock little ones for a loop if they are in the wrong place while the dog is chasing a ball, running, etc. But overall, GSP's are bigtime family dogs and mine have made great house dogs/pets as well as being fantastic bird finders.

They need LOTS of exercise, not just throwing a ball 10 times in the backyard either. They need to go run for a couple of hours or go swim for an hour at least a couple of times a week. They are very loyal committed dogs as long as you are committed to them as far as giving them a job and getting them the proper exercise they need.
Posted By: ronlhodges

Re: German shorthaired pointer - 03/28/18 08:45 PM

I had a friend back in my teens that had one and it was only a family dog . He didn’t know how to train Rattler but we did alot of wood hunting out in the country and Rattler went every time . That dog could run forever none stop . We got our exercise as well as Rattler . They had a potrait made of Rattler before he died . He was a good dog !
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: German shorthaired pointer - 03/28/18 09:14 PM

I just saw on TV that the breed made it into the top ten.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: German shorthaired pointer - 03/30/18 11:12 AM

We had one in New Mexico a few years ago, Hope, and she was a tremendous family member as well as a pretty good huntress. Miss her to this day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum