Texas Hunting Forum

Bird Dog Training

Posted By: Wisco

Bird Dog Training - 02/11/18 09:16 PM

I have a 3 month old French Brittany and am looking to ship her off to dog training for a week or two once she is almost 5 months. Does anyone have any suggestions on good places to send her near Dallas?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/11/18 09:21 PM

Rob Martin in east Texas. I don't have his contact information. Wait until she is nine months old. You can get her back in time to take her hunting.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/12/18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Rob Martin in east Texas. I don't have his contact information. Wait until she is nine months old. You can get her back in time to take her hunting.
Good advice from Bill. I start fooling with my pups as early as 4 months but only lightly. One thing I believe has worked for me in particular is I put quail wings out in my yard and woods, put the pup on a 30' check cord and when they get close enough to catch scent I give "hunt dead" command until they locate the wing and then pet them up to let them know I like what they did. It's fun to watch the pup and the dogs that I have done this on are better than average dead bird finders when it comes time to put them in the field and there is no need to pay someone to do this. If a Brittany pup shows no interest in this activity, you might have yourself a lap dog.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/12/18 03:08 PM

Who did you get your Brittany from?
Posted By: Wisco

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/12/18 05:09 PM

Copper Spur Kennel in Benson, Minnesota. Glen Gunderson is the breeder and his stud, Leo, is a 3x GC of the field, AKC master hunter, and 4x National best of breed.
Posted By: triggerbowtx

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/12/18 05:13 PM

don't know much about bird dogs (I'm a retriever person) but I think training takes longer than "a week or two." Not sure what value you will get out of just two weeks but maybe I am mistaken and the bird dog people will chime in about timing?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/12/18 05:15 PM

I would call Barry Godwin in Lipan Tx. He breeds and trains French Brittanys. I’ve seen his dogs but never hunted with them. From what I hear from freinds whose opinions I respect, he has some really nice wild bird dogs and won his region in NSTRA this year.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/12/18 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: triggerbowtx
don't know much about bird dogs (I'm a retriever person) but I think training takes longer than "a week or two." Not sure what value you will get out of just two weeks but maybe I am mistaken and the bird dog people will chime in about timing?

It takes me two months to get them green broke. Trainers usually want them for three months.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/13/18 02:47 AM

I could take her for a week or two and introduce her to birds and gun noise. She would not be trained and she would be started.
Posted By: super

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/13/18 07:08 PM

Call and talk to tony Miller at Endeavor Kernels. South dallas. 405.206.4173.
Posted By: dadof5girls

Re: Bird Dog Training - 02/26/18 09:44 PM

Super is right on my recommend. I just got our first EB at the end of December. Tony Miller at Endeavors and I have been talking since October about him training the puppy. If I recall his puppy program is a month long, and well worth it. I have not spoken with Barry Godwin, but I know of him through the EB community.
Posted By: RayB

Re: Bird Dog Training - 03/02/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

agree

http://www.germanbirddogs.com/training.html
did a great job with my setter
Posted By: fishingpunk

Re: Bird Dog Training - 03/02/18 02:51 PM

I run an American Brittany. The trainer I used Is Mike Pirtle M&W Gun Dogs 940-389-3070. He will tell you to save your money until that pup is about 9 months old maybe a little older. The Brittany breed is a pretty soft breed you can't "bang on them" Like you can other breeds. They need to mature and understand what you want them to do. Let your puppy be a puppy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum