Texas Hunting Forum

Charcoal Lab 6 Months

Posted By: TXhunter507

Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 12:40 AM

We brought home our charcoal labrador on September 11th at 10wks old. He has been through basic obedience training. We are looking for a Gun Dog trainer in the DFW area. Any of you have anyone that you highly recommend? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 02:42 AM

What is a charcoal lab?

Robby
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
What is a charcoal lab?

Robby

popcorn

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 04:22 AM

If I could get this forum to upload my photos from phone I would show you, but a simple search on google will show you photos.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 04:30 AM

Okay, I figured it out. Here you go.

Posted By: Triple7

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 02:40 PM

And here we go.....

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Triple7
And here we go.....

I see where the other members who have responded are trying to take this topic. So I will simply ask that we take this back to the original question at hand.

We are looking for a Gun Dog Trainer in the DFW area. Is there a trainer that any of you highly recommend or know is a reputable gun dog trainer in this area?

Thanks in advance. Again I’m not asking for your off topic responses in regards to the different colors of Labradors.
Posted By: Ol_Yeller

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 03:24 PM

No judgement here, good looking pup.
Might try J.C. Strange @ Cripple Creek Retrievers, he's in Decatur.
Enjoy the ride with the little guy!

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Ol_Yeller
No judgement here, good looking pup.
Might try J.C. Strange @ Cripple Creek Retrievers, he's in Decatur.
Enjoy the ride with the little guy!

Thank you! I have heard from some others about JC from Cripple Creek Retrievers.
Posted By: quackcommander

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 04:58 PM

JC Strange all the way!
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/13/17 05:32 PM

Ima liking that pups looks! Enjoy!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 11:58 AM

Might ask JC how many dogs he has, he had 60 dogs.

Double up in Kennels and dogs living in dog trailers.

Just what I saw.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 03:19 PM

Might have trouble finding a good reputable trainer to take on a dilute.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Shecrappiekilla
Might ask JC how many dogs he has, he had 60 dogs.

Double up in Kennels and dogs living in dog trailers.

Just what I saw.

How long ago was this?

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 07:59 PM

September.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

Yet again, with your comments about the different colors of labrador retrievers. Seems to me that you have an issue with the out of "norm" colors, and thats your issue/problem I don't particular care to hear about. I simply asked for members of the Forum to provide me with their preference on highly recommended/reputable Gun Dog trainers in the DFW area.

Your comments have provided absolutely no help to my original question.

Seems to me that if a "reputable" Gun Dog Trainer wanted to keep his reputation up that he would take on any color of a labrador. There shouldn't be any issue of with dogs capability to be trained. All dogs are trainable. Just because my dog is of the Charcoal color somehow means that he should not be accepted by or trainer or isn't trainable??

Again, keeping on track with the original posted question. We are looking for a Gun Dog Trainer in the DFW area. Is there a trainer that any of you highly recommend or know is a reputable gun dog trainer in this area?

Thanks in advance. Again I’m not asking for your off topic responses in regards to the different colors of Labradors.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Shecrappiekilla
September.

Shecrappiekilla, thanks for the information. I have contacted JC and discussed his approach to training, the process, timeframe, etc. I do plan on visiting the facility before making any arrangements for training. Hopefully with that being about 4 months ago some of those dogs have completed training and the facility has cleared out a bit.

Have you had JC train a dog for you? If so, and you don't mind talking about your thoughts/experience?

Thanks again for your comments and information. Much appreciated.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: TXhunter507
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

Yet again, with your comments about the different colors of labrador retrievers. Seems to me that you have an issue with the out of "norm" colors, and thats your issue/problem I don't particular care to hear about. I simply asked for members of the Forum to provide me with their preference on highly recommended/reputable Gun Dog trainers in the DFW area.

Your comments have provided absolutely no help to my original question.

Seems to me that if a "reputable" Gun Dog Trainer wanted to keep his reputation up that he would take on any color of a labrador. There shouldn't be any issue of with dogs capability to be trained. All dogs are trainable. Just because my dog is of the Charcoal color somehow means that he should not be accepted by or trainer or isn't trainable??

Again, keeping on track with the original posted question. We are looking for a Gun Dog Trainer in the DFW area. Is there a trainer that any of you highly recommend or know is a reputable gun dog trainer in this area?

Well I tried to avoid getting in this debate but you took the chance to comment and so will I. The majority of trainers operate with the best interest of the breed as primary importance. It is well documented that the dilute gene originate from a single kennel that also bred Weimaraner's. Trainer's are also highly likely to desire dogs that come from a breeding that focused on traits for becoming a gun dog/retriever. Drive, temperament, biddability, ect... Instead of a dog that was purchased with an emphasis on color.

Not all dogs become great retrievers and usually people talk about the trainer instead of the dog or its pedigree. With that in mind most trainer's prefer to stack the odds in their favor so they can turn out a dog that the owner will be happy with.

With that being said I am semi familiar with JC's operation and I think it would be a good choice. I have day trained with him on occasion and he puts in the work. He is also fair to the dogs and knowledgeable. I cannot speak to the kennel arrangements at the house but don't think for a minute any trainer out there is going to treat Fido like you do. They will be in a kennel and not at the foot of the bed when they aren't training or on the trailer. Dogs are doubled up at times depending on the ebb and flow of who is coming and how many are set to return home. I highly doubt any trainer knowingly doubles up dogs they think are a problem or will fight. I believe most try to make sure each dog has their own space but sometimes things have to be altered for a period of time.

When I pay for training I want my dog to be worked regularly, worked with a fair hand, well fed, and kennels that are clean. Not too worried about the rest. Good luck in your search. There are plenty of trainers out there, some good and lots of not so good ones.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 09:52 PM

[/quote]

Well I tried to avoid getting in this debate but you took the chance to comment and so will I. The majority of trainers operate with the best interest of the breed as primary importance. It is well documented that the dilute gene originate from a single kennel that also bred Weimaraners. Trainer's are also highly likely to desire dogs that come from a breeding that focused on traits for becoming a gun dog/retriever. Drive, temperament, biddability, ect... Instead of a dog that was purchased with an emphasis on color.

Not all dogs become great retrievers and usually people talk about the trainer instead of the dog or its pedigree. With that in mind most trainer's prefer to stack the odds in their favor so they can turn out a dog that the owner will be happy with.

With that being said I am semi familiar with JC's operation and I think it would be a good choice. I have day trained with him on occasion and he puts in the work. He is also fair to the dogs and knowledgeable. I cannot speak to the kennel arrangements at the house but don't think for a minute any trainer out there is going to treat Fido like you do. They will be in a kennel and not at the foot of the bed when they aren't training or on the trailer. Dogs are doubled up at times depending on the ebb and flow of who is coming and how many are set to return home. I highly doubt any trainer knowingly doubles up dogs they think are a problem or will fight. I believe most try to make sure each dog has their own space but sometimes things have to be altered for a period of time.

When I pay for training I want my dog to be worked regularly, worked with a fair hand, well fed, and kennels that are clean. Not too worried about the rest. Good luck in your search. There are plenty of trainers out there, some good and lots of not so good ones. [/quote]

Leonardo, I appreciate your response. I also focused on the traits that you mentioned above. The color of my dog just so happened to be a bonus if you will. Through the various researches I have done, Charcoal/Silver Labradors are just as capable at being retrieval dogs as the other colors within the labrador breed.

I don't expect for our dog to have any kind of special treatment. It is understood that the dogs are kept in a kennel when they are not being trained. Much like you mentioned when I pay for our dog to be trained by whomever we decide to go with I expect for our dog to be worked regularly, worked with a fair hand, well fed, and kennels that are cleaned regularly.

I am glad to hear that you believe or think JC's operation would be a good choice. When talking to JC, I took away many of the things you mentioned. I have done my share of research prior to asking my question to the members of this forum. I will say that JC was high up on the list that I have complied. My intent of this post was to see if there were any other highly recommended Gun Dog trainers in the area prior to making our final decision.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/14/17 11:56 PM

Well you asked.

I do not know JC or how he trains.

I was invited to a "Dove" hunt that was put on by JC, we met up at his Kennels before daylight.

Every Kennel in his barn that I saw had two dogs in it.

There was big dog trailer out side of the Kennel that had dogs in it, this was at 5am ish, so I assumed they lived in a very small space, that about made me puke.

On the so called dove hunt, I saw one of his dogs get shocked and lit up 6 times on a dead dove that was shot by the dogs owner, on a 20 yard retrieve. I should have walked over there and kicked his azz.

When I questioned his trainer about it, he said that was JC doing that. They were down the tree line from me so I didn't see who did what.

I was an invited guest (paid hunter) so I was trying to be nice.

After seeing only 6 doves all morning and on our way out of the field was passed up a deer feeder that was on the opposite side of the tree line, right where he set us up at. I told him that was BS and illegal.

Well now you know how I feel about him.

60 dogs a $600.00 a month.

Kirk Grounds

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/15/17 01:53 AM

There are several gun dog trainers within a couple of hrs of ft worth, a search will get you results. Leonardo is correct that most won't accept a nonregisterable pup.when you are questioning the trainers, the number of dogs is important. There are only so many working minutes in a day, and 15 min per dog isn't enough time, especially with a dog bred for color and not proven traits.

Robby

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/15/17 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
There are several gun dog trainers within a couple of hrs of ft worth, a search will get you results. Leonardo is correct that most won't accept a nonregisterable pup.when you are questioning the trainers, the number of dogs is important. There are only so many working minutes in a day, and 15 min per dog isn't enough time, especially with a dog bred for color and not proven traits.

Robby

Non-Registerable, that's funny, our Charcoal Labrador is registered with AKC. I do understand that AKC doesn't recognize the Charcoal color for Champion Bloodlines, but he is most definitely a registrable dog. Another comment from your post I found to be funny as well, "especially with a dog bred for color and not proven traits." I am glad you know so much about the breeder that we purchased our pup from. How do you know that our breeder, breed for color alone? How do you know that our pup doesn't come from a Championship Blood line? How do you know that our pup doesn't come from a gun dog line?

As a matter of fact, our pup does come from Championship Bloodline. There are multiple dogs (dams and sires) within his family tree that are recognized/registered Championship Bloodline with AKC. One being the Dam that gave birth to our pup. Both his parents are registered with AKC under the Labrador Breed. As a matter of fact all the generations provided to me up his family tree are ALL registered with AKC under the Labrador breed, and multiple generations were provided to me.

As I mentioned in previous posts I have done my research amongst the internet for Gun Dog trainers within the DFW area. I was simply trying to reach out to fellow hunters within the forum to see if anyone here had gun dog trainer that they highly recommended from their experience. My question never asked for fellow hunters opinions on the color of my pup.

I do agree with you that asking about the number of dogs that the trainer will be working is important, and that 15 minutes is not enough time for any dog being trained to hunt properly.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/15/17 02:09 PM

Well then if it's registerable, it isn't charcoal, and it's parent isn't silver. Neither is recognized by ukc or akc. Hence neither can be titled.
Simple facts-
Eddie Noga in Bonham is a good gun dog trainer as well.
Robby
Posted By: kindall

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/15/17 04:53 PM

If you don't find anyone closer, look up Drake Sporting dogs.
They have put hunt titles on silvers, for clients in the past.
They are registered as chocolate.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/15/17 05:12 PM

To the original poster. There will be those who view themselves and their breed with an elitetist attitude. Steer clear of them. What you need to find is a true dog man who will objectively assess what you have to work with and be straightforward with you about it. Just because you have a registered lab does not mean it has or does not have the instincts or the ability to make you a good hunting dog. The overall popularity of the lab has facilitated a dilution of that ability and instinct in the registered population. So to your statement "they can all be trained"- not exactly, some just don't have it. Many will tout pedigree, with good reason. It stacks the odds in their favor. However performance is not determined by color, it's what's under the hood combined with what you do with the dog. Any trainer that you are going to want to train your dog is going to turn dogs away. The dogs he turns away will be performance or owner based. Not pedigree or what they look like. If the trainer does not want to first see if he has something to work with I would be suspect of what he expects to turn out. You have a good looking pup. I wish you the best in finding the right trainer to help you sort it all out. I am no longer running labs and currently hunt a versatile but in the event you do not find a trainer you are comfortable with in your geographic area PM me and I can give you the names of some good trainers I have trained with to talk to. Like me they are well to the south of you. You are in the heart of good lab country and should be able to find what you are seeking. Do the leg work and do not be deterred by the naysayers. In the short term there are a lot of good retriever training programs. Start reading and working on puppy stuff with the little guy. The retriever training forum used to be a great place to visit with experienced retriever trainers....

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/15/17 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
To the original poster. There will be those who view themselves and their breed with an elitetist attitude. Steer clear of them. What you need to find is a true dog man who will objectively assess what you have to work with and be straightforward with you about it. Just because you have a registered lab does not mean it has or does not have the instincts or the ability to make you a good hunting dog. The overall popularity of the lab has facilitated a dilution of that ability and instinct in the registered population. So to your statement "they can all be trained"- not exactly, some just don't have it. Many will tout pedigree, with good reason. It stacks the odds in their favor. However performance is not determined by color, it's what's under the hood combined with what you do with the dog. Any trainer that you are going to want to train your dog is going to turn dogs away. The dogs he turns away will be performance or owner based. Not pedigree or what they look like. If the trainer does not want to first see if he has something to work with I would be suspect of what he expects to turn out. You have a good looking pup. I wish you the best in finding the right trainer to help you sort it all out. I am no longer running labs and currently hunt a versatile but in the event you do not find a trainer you are comfortable with in your geographic area PM me and I can give you the names of some good trainers I have trained with to talk to. Like me they are well to the south of you. You are in the heart of good lab country and should be able to find what you are seeking. Do the leg work and do not be deterred by the naysayers. In the short term there are a lot of good retriever training programs. Start reading and working on puppy stuff with the little guy. The retriever training forum used to be a great place to visit with experienced retriever trainers....

Thank you Smokey Bear! I do completely understand that not every dog is cutout to be a gun dog. Our pup has been through basic obedience training and has exceeded my expectations thus far. If my search falls short in the DFW area I will most definitely keep you in mind. I great appreciate your response and time.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/15/17 10:23 PM

I'd like to see that "Championship bloodline"

As far as I'm concerned you can hunt with a purple dog or any other dog. I don't really care. Maybe your dog will make you a great hunting dog and more power to you.

The issue is that the dog is not purebred and it is not right or honest to register the dog under another color. The facts are dilute dogs were bred for one reason and that's color. The facts are that the dilute gene was introduced into the breed by crossing with another breed that carries the dilute gene. Most likely a Weimaraner. Dogs who are dilute are known to be more prone to having coat issues such as alopecia and very very very few have titled.

If you "steer clear" of those who have an issue with dilute dogs you will be steering clear of about 99% of anyone involved in the hunt test game, field trial game, most reputable trainers and all reputable breeders.

The purebred lab comes in three colors Black, Yellow (varying from dark yellow/red to very light yellow) and Brown.

I really don't care what color the dog is and I hope you find a great trainer. Good luck to you.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/15/17 10:31 PM

Smokey Bear, you run a pudelpointer?

One of the most pure lines of hunting dogs. Dogs that breeders try to only sell to working homes and hunters. A breed that tries just as hard as any breed to remain true to the standard and what it should be. A breed that was developed over a 30+ year span of very careful breeding. A breed that will cull out of its breeding program any dog that does not meet the standard for color.

I guess it would be ok for me to take one, breed it to GSP and start touting my new improved Pudelpointer line that is more rare sought after.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/16/17 01:02 AM

I respect your personal opinion. And I respect the opinion of the scientists who have too much free time on their hands to go into depth of the color of a dog.. his grandparents are champion bloodline dogs his grandparents and parents are purebred. Our vet is an AKC certified vet and saw his papers and stated that his grandparents were champion bloodline and that the likelihood of him having coat issue were slim. And the fact that we take our dogs health very seriously and feed him food that also is great for minimizing coat issues. So far he has been great! So maybe they bred a lab and Weimaraner to get the color... Weimaraner is reputable hunting dog for large game dating back to the 19th century. Sounds like a great “mutt” to me, if that it was you want to consider him.. If you didn’t care about the color, then why not just keep your comments to yourself? Yes I realize it is not a recognized color and recognized as black. Which if you saw a picture he is more black than silver.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/16/17 01:36 AM

Yeah I run a Pudelpointer. And you are spot on why I run one. Any Pudelpointer that is bred has to qualify before breeding by meeting a performance standard. That includes upland work including pointing, retrieving including water work, tracking including feather and fur, and will have the grit to engage it as well. He has a high powered pedigree and he is a high powered dog. I also used to run high powered FT labs. When I look for a gun dog, I do everything I can to stack the odds in order to end up with what I'm looking for. I learned what I am looking for through experience. The OP is not a breeder and my size up of what he wants, is to find out if he has a hunting dog. My reply was geared to the type trainer he needs to seek out for him and his dog. The dog he has may or may not work out, and no it's not what I'm looking for, but it is what the OP has. I have been fortunate to have owned and hunted some really nice dogs. The most talented of the lot was a lab given to me by a friend and it came from a back yard breeding. I trained it to a very high level and hunted all over the country with it. Although it was somewhat of an exception, if I hadn't taken the chance to find out about it, I would have missed out on a very special bird dog that never took a back seat to some very fine dogs that were hunted and trained along side it. Ultimately as a bird hunter, it's more about the dog work than breed that's doing it for me. The Pudelpointer has been used as a foundation breed before, and some fine breeds of highly capable dogs like the wire haired pointing griffon have been produced. So if you were to use it as such you would not be the first.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/16/17 01:44 AM

Txhunted507, I hear you. I really hope your dog is everything you want it to be and y'all have a great time hunting together for the next 10-15 years.

This subject is just touchy because of how the silver/charcoal breeding has blown up and many people just in it for a buck are breeding for a color and charging a ton of money. Then you have other good, honest breeders who are working their butts off to train and prove that a dog has what it takes to be worthy to breed, better the breed as a whole and produce the best possible puppies.

You can see how that would be a thorn in their side.

I honestly apologize for derailing this and hope you find a good trainer and your pup turns out healthy and a great hunting companion.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/16/17 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: TXhunter507
I respect your personal opinion. And I respect the opinion of the scientists who have too much free time on their hands to go into depth of the color of a dog.. his grandparents are champion bloodline dogs his grandparents and parents are purebred. Our vet is an AKC certified vet and saw his papers and stated that his grandparents were champion bloodline and that the likelihood of him having coat issue were slim. And the fact that we take our dogs health very seriously and feed him food that also is great for minimizing coat issues. So far he has been great! So maybe they bred a lab and Weimaraner to get the color... Weimaraner is reputable hunting dog for large game dating back to the 19th century. Sounds like a great “mutt” to me, if that it was you want to consider him.. If you didn’t care about the color, then why not just keep your comments to yourself? Yes I realize it is not a recognized color and recognized as black. Which if you saw a picture he is more black than silver.

You might as well quit trying to defend the choice of dog you made. Some won’t ever accept that he’s worth a chit until they see him hunt. It’s your dog, your opinion is the only one that counts. I’ve only seen one other lab that color and my cousin owns him. He is not worth a damn for anything but petting and stinks at all time. His other two black labs are nice retrievers.

The best thing about dogs is your not married to them. If he doesn’t turn out like you want give him away and get a different one. Like I said it’s your dog and your opinion is the only one that counts.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/16/17 01:49 AM

The Pudelpointer has been used as a foundation breed before, and some fine breeds of highly capable dogs like the wire haired pointing griffon have been produced. So if you were to use it as such you would not be the first.

But could I call it a Pudelpointer?

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/16/17 02:38 AM

Well, NO!!!
Brady, I understand your point. To take it a step further, I always shied away from the brown labs because I felt there was some bias toward color over performance in some of the lines, even though I have seen some dang nice brown dogs. However, I don't think color should stop the OP from finding out what kind of goods his dog has or hunting the dog if it pans out.

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/16/17 02:39 AM

Well, NO!!!
Brady, I understand your point. To take it a step further, I always shied away from the brown labs because I felt there was some bias toward color over performance in some of the lines, even though I have seen some dang nice brown dogs. However, I don't think color should stop the OP from finding out what kind of goods his dog has or hunting the dog if it pans out.

I agree

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/16/17 03:18 AM

Well, NO!!!

I agree as well. I just disagree with calling it a lab. They don t call a poodle lab cross a lab, it's a labradoodle. Same thing with the "silver", they should come up with their own name. A wiem may be a hunting dog, but it's not a retriever.
Robby
Posted By: passthru

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/19/17 02:23 PM

Don't go to that retriever training forum and mention your dog is "charcoal". If you don't like the response here you'll find out how real Labrador Retriever breeders, trainers and field trial competitors feel. And they will not be near as pleasant as the guys here have been.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/20/17 07:55 PM

I used a gentleman in Rockwall by the name of Richard. I do not remember his last name. He did very good work with my dog. 2143171492 is his cell number.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/24/17 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: pokerj2
I used a gentleman in Rockwall by the name of Richard. I do not remember his last name. He did very good work with my dog. 2143171492 is his cell number.

I used a trainer in Rockwall years ago by the name of Rich Williams with V.I.P. Kennels and he did great work with my brown lab. By the time Rich was through training him he told me if I ever wanted to get rid of him that he would take him as the dog had such great drive. Rich was a full time fire fighter in Rockwall and the last time I ran in to him he was doing real estate. This was right when the market went down. The last number I had for him was 972-989-3102.
Posted By: Grego

Re: Charcoal Lab 6 Months - 12/26/17 05:10 PM

Dude, dont try and even converse about color when you are an off. My wife brought home a silver, I was none too excited. After a pretty extensive search and hearing all the same arguments you are hearing here, Tim Marshall at Brushy Creek retrivers in Royse City said he would try and put her through the paces. She came within days of washing out and turned the corner. She is registered with AKC, UKC denied her, she passed her JR on first attempt and we let up on training. She was doing well enough to continue but she came home for season and she has been a super steady gun dog and hunts extensively with my sons and myself.

Good luck, if Tim is still training that is where I would go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum