Texas Hunting Forum

2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training?

Posted By: USMC01

2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 10/29/17 08:11 PM

Would a 2 year old Vizsla be to old to put into pointer/retriever training?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 10/29/17 08:32 PM

Not too old.
Posted By: hunt15

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 10/31/17 04:59 PM

If this is a house dog and never been introduced to the gun I would check and see if it was gun shy before I spent any money sending it to a trainer.
Posted By: Mundo

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 10/31/17 06:27 PM

No. If the dog has prey drive it can be trained at any age.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 10/31/17 06:50 PM

Just take in walking in a pasture that has quail. See what it will do with scent.
Posted By: TruckMan66

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 11/17/17 06:01 AM

Only dog that you can't train to hunt is a dead dog. If the dog is a house pet then he will be easier to train and be more responsive since he feels closer to the family. I would start with some basic training (i.e. heel, whoa and come) (which by the way if he responds to these commands 80% of the time you can hunt behind him) then I would introduce him to birds in a controlled environment. Watch and see how he responds. If he goes after the bird then let him go after it, if he shys away or is cautious about it then give him time. Stop for the day and do it again the next day. After a few days he will get courageous. Seen it many times. Once he decides he wants the birds then you can work with him. On the issue of "gun shy" never ever ever just shoot a gun around him just "too see if he is gun shy." That is one sure way to make a dog "gun shy." Here is what I do and I have never had a gun shy dog. First be loud around your dog. Clap your hands and talk loud (I'm not saying to scream, just talk loud.) Then start banging a pot with a spoon or something. I usually do this around feed time. At first he may be cautious and shy but keep it up, but be easy with him. When he will approach you without shyness then you can move on. Next I have a cap gun. When he is out running I will fire one cap and see how he does. If he is good then will fire another. Don't fire too many keep it simple. Once he and you are comfortable you can let him get closer and fire cap gun. Then step up to a 22 blank gun (just FYI, you can get 22 blanks at Homedepot for nail guns alot cheaper than at gundog stores) and work with him out in the field. Once he shows no interest then go to shotgun. Remember, start small and work up. Never start firing "next" to dog. That way if he flinches you can back off without harming the situation. It takes time and is not a "over night" deal. Once he is where you can shoot over him and he has basic training down and shows "birdiness" then go hunting. Everything else is gravy.
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 12/02/17 06:47 PM

Yeah you could train him at that age.
Posted By: shooterwalter

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 12/03/17 02:18 PM

Try to find a place with pigeons. Very best for first introduction to flighty birds just drop them around him, they will fly away sand he will chase. While in hot pursuit fire cap pistol, then blanks to get the dog to expect and accept noise with birds.

I just spent three weeks re-habing a 4 year old GSP and it was a God sent blessing to watch her after she figured it all out.

we got pigeons
Posted By: mx3p4

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 12/03/17 04:16 PM

Never too old to train. Just takes patience. Look at you and how long did it take for your wife to train you?
Posted By: USMC01

Re: 2 Year old Vizsla to old for pointer training? - 12/16/17 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't have my profile setup to email me when I got a response. I decided to look for a new pup for Christmas and send it off to training. The wife was a bit hesitant on send off one of our Vizslas to be trained being she's so attached at this point.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum